Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Tech

#1   Report Post  
    Old 01-17-2012, 04:15 PM

Default FAQS and myths about PC gaming

[SIZE="2"]Do not ask for advice on a custom build here. Make a separate thread and our awesome forum members will be glad to help [/SIZE]

I'm making this thread to discuss some of the most asked questions on here, and to correct a few misconceptions. If all goes well, I should learn a few things myself.

I. PC gaming is an expensive hobby. I will need a $1500 PC to be able to run games well.
    A. An $800 PC (self-built) will be able to run almost anything on high. People who spend $1500 fall into an enthusiast category that enjoys getting the maximum framerate. To be able to get 45-60 fps, you don't need a $500 graphics card. While still nothing to scoff at, much of the costs are first-time costs, such as your power supply, case, and hard drive. From then on, the main things you will be changing are your CPU, motherboard, RAM, and video card.

II. Building a PC is difficult. I should stick to prebuilt computers due to my lack of knowledge.
    A. It's easy to see why it could be intimidating to handle $800+ worth of electronics which you have little knowledge about. I've been there before. However, there are many guides available which will walk you through the process. Only one step (connecting front-panel headers) requires much thought. The rest is simply plugging things into where they fit.

Building your own PC has several advantages. First and foremost, it feels extremely satisfying to use a machine you built with your own hands. You can choose your own case, processor, video card, etc. and you can feel accomplished having built it.

Second, a properly built self-build is cheaper and more durable. Companies like Dell (Alienware) often hike prices and use cheap parts. They cut costs in power supply units and other components, which in turn can cause system failures. When self-building, you can pick and choose parts from reputable manufacturers, ensuring that your computer will last a long time.

Third, and often overlooked, it better prepares you to fix your computer should it have problems. Having built your own computer, if the video card is on the fritz, or if the RAM is causing blue screens of death, you will know exactly how to replace it, and what kind to replace it with. If your prebuilt Acer starts crashing 18 months down the road, then what? How about if you decide to stick to PC gaming, and then need to upgrade your graphics card for the next Crysis, Battlefield, or Metro?

I should mention here that, for newcomers bent on buying a prebuilt rig (Alienware, iBUYPOWER, etc.), we're firm on trying to convince people to build, for reasons stated above. It may sound like arrogance, but we're trying to prevent people from getting scalped by builder price hikes. If you really feel intimidated, try seeing if any of your friends can help you, as you'll never know who you'll run into that can build.

III. I already have an HP/Dell/Gateway/other computer. I can just stick a GTX 560 in here, and I'm good, right?
    A. As mentioned before, prebuilt computers often have cheap power supplies in them. You'll often see them with 300 Watt power supplies of an unknown brand. Not only is 300 Watts not enough for a high-end gaming system, actual power draw is sometimes significantly lower than specified on these power supplies. Your best options are to either use a lower-end graphics card, such as a Radeon HD 6670, or upgrade your power supply along with your graphics card.

IV. Integrated sound is just as good as dedicated sound.
    A. This is a personal pet peeve of mine. Many people jump to this conclusion without having experienced a dedicated sound card. While onboard sound is good enough for gaming, it suffers from a flaw called "crosstalk". Crosstalk is a phenomenon in which an electronic circuit interferes with another one in close proximity. In audio circuits, this can cause a buzzing noise at high volumes.

Since dedicated sound cards have their circuitry seated above the motherboard, away from the bridges and other integrated peripherals, it doesn't suffer as much from this problem. In addition to this, dedicated sound cards offer additional features such as OpenAL support. (On a sidenote, I've seen people mention a night-and-day difference between onboard audio and budget-priced sound cards. While not necessary, a dedicated sound card is recommended.)

V. I still plan on playing console-style games on here. I'm planning on getting a gamepad. I'm going with an Xbox 360 controller, since many games support it exclusively.
    A. This is somewhat true. Games support a newer controller interface called XInput. The Xbox 360 controller uses this interface, but is not the only controller to do so. The Logitech F310, F510, F710, and Cyborg V.5 (I believe, as it is an Xbox 360-styled controller) all support this interface. Some of these have advantages over the Xbox 360 controller, such as better dpads and the option to use different interfaces.

VI. That Intel CPU you guys suggested to me looks nice, but AMD has one with the same frequency for half the price. AMD also has one with more cores for the same price. Shouldn't I go with one of those?
    A. In CPU terms, frequency doesn't matter as much as it used to. At the time of writing, Intel CPUs are able to do much more per hertz than AMD ones. Games also do not use more than four cores. For a more accurate measurement of a CPU's performance, check benchmarks.

VII. I need to upgrade my internet bandwidth in order to play games online. This modestly-priced broadband is nice, but I'd like a lower ping.
    A. While ping and bandwidth are two factors of internet speed, they are unrelated to each other. Upgrading your bandwidth should not have an impact on your ping. Bandwidth is the maximum amount of data that can be transmitted or received at any given time. Ping determines how long it takes for the data to reach there after a request is sent. Online gaming typically won't be bottlenecked by your bandwidth if you have a broadband connection. I need help wording this better.

VIII. The graphics card does most of the work. If I have a good dual core CPU or any kind of quad core CPU, I should focus on upgrading my graphics card.
    A. This is true to an extent. This highly varies from game to game. If you have a dual core CPU and are getting less than playable rates at very low settings, there's no way a simple graphics card upgrade will remedy that. The CPU must be capable of getting decent frames on its own, or else it will bottleneck your graphics card.

Please feel free to add some. I could use some help with this.

Intel Core i5 4670K ♠ Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB
    MSi Z87 Mpower Max ♠ 1x8GB A-DATA DDR3 1600 ♠ 1TB Samsung Spinpoint
    Nuforce Icon HDP Amp/DAC ♠ AKG K702 Headphones
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 ♠ SilverStone Temjin TJ04-E ♠ ASUS MX239H

Add me on Steam

Origin: BetaWolf7

Last edited by BetaWolf47; 09-05-2013 at 01:38 AM.
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 01-17-2012, 04:31 PM

Great thread, this deserves to be stickied. I don't see anything to add. Great job BetaWolf! Mods, sticky this thread!
    8GB G.Skill Sniper Low Voltage Ram
    WD Caviar Black 500GB HDD
    Asus Xonar DG 5.1 Soundboard
    LG CD/DVD Burner And Drive
    Corsair 750 Watt Power Supply

All Stored In The NZXT Phantom Red Edition - With Side Window

War. War Never Changes.

Steam - Mafia Cleaver
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 01-17-2012, 05:12 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mafia Cleaver View Post
    Great thread, this deserves to be stickied. I don't see anything to add. Great job BetaWolf! Mods, sticky this thread!
    I'd like someone to add stuff about SLI and CrossFire. It often gets asked whether it's better to just upgrade your single card, or add a second one of the same type.

<EDIT> Here is a list of stuff we need:
    1. Ping vs. connection speed.
    2. Elaboration on SLI and CrossFire vs. single graphics cards.
    3. Budget-priced hard drive speeds. It is often asked if one should get a WD Caviar Green, since they're cheaper than the WD Caviar Blue of even capacity.

Add me on Steam

Last edited by BetaWolf47; 01-20-2012 at 07:10 PM.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 01-17-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    I'd like someone to add stuff about SLI and CrossFire. It often gets asked whether it's better to just upgrade your single card, or add a second one of the same type.
    Yeah, that seems like a good idea.

War. War Never Changes.

Steam - Mafia Cleaver
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 01-18-2012, 01:14 AM

First off, awesome thread, well written and easily readable, good job.

Secondly, I could of sworn there was a tread about this, but I believe it got buried, either way this may turn out to be a useful thread..

Quote:
    Should I Crossfire/ SLI my current card or buy a brand new, faster single card?
    Well that depends and it basically coming down to doing a lot of googling and checking out benchmarks of the multi-gpu setup you're thinking of going with and comparing it with benchmarks of the single fast card you're thinking of getting. Or, at least that's how a majority of us would do when you ask us for an answer. Though keep in mind, there are still many games out there that do not play nicely at all with multi-gpu configurations.

Quote:
    I think the real reason we're a dying breed is because we have trouble breeding.
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 01-18-2012, 01:18 AM

I would say "Headsets sound just as good as headphones for a similar price" as a myth but some people are going to disagree with me.
    ASUS Rampage IV Formula || G.SKILL 32GB Ripjaws X || NZXT Hale90 1000w
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM 2TB || 2x128GB Plextor M3
    2x 27" Yamakasi Catleap + Dell Ultrasharp
    Zowie AM || Too many keyboards. (Using reds atm) || ARTISAN VE White
    Steam Profile
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 01-18-2012, 02:51 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tr4656 View Post
    I would say "Headsets sound just as good as headphones for a similar price" as a myth but some people are going to disagree with me.
    I'm very interested in this. The headset I use is quite nice, but it'd be informative to hear about better-sounding headphones for a cheaper price. That aside, aren't headphones and headsets supposed to sound different? Headsets are built for games, emphasizing frequencies generated by footsteps, gunfire, explosions, and clashing blades. Headphones are built for music. Or am I wrong?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by M3RV View Post
    Should I Crossfire/ SLI my current card or buy a brand new, faster single card?
    Well that depends and it basically coming down to doing a lot of googling and checking out benchmarks of the multi-gpu setup you're thinking of going with and comparing it with benchmarks of the single fast card you're thinking of getting. Or, at least that's how a majority of us would do when you ask us for an answer. Though keep in mind, there are still many games out there that do not play nicely at all with multi-gpu configurations.
    That's a good answer: benchmarks of the single card vs. the SLI/Crossfire setup. I'd like to add in that the person should research whether the games they're playing and planning on playing support SLI/Crossfire, and whether their PSU/motherboard can handle it. There's no "one size fits all" answer for this.

Add me on Steam

#8   Report Post  
    Old 01-18-2012, 04:31 AM

Quote:
    I'm very interested in this. The headset I use is quite nice, but it'd be informative to hear about better-sounding headphones for a cheaper price. That aside, aren't headphones and headsets supposed to sound different? Headsets are built for games, emphasizing frequencies generated by footsteps, gunfire, explosions, and clashing blades. Headphones are built for music. Or am I wrong?
    Its not that they sound different, its just headsets sound worse or have a smaller sound stage in general. As for them more fit for gaming, that's not really the case. All you need is a good clear in more neutral sound and you can hear that stuff clearly. An good example would be PC360. Its basically a 518 with a mic. A cheap external mic would the trick nicely. I'm just going to quote something I said a couple weeks back:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tr4656 View Post
    Let me clear something up here.
    You can get good headsets, just not a very good price compared to headphones.

Let me give some examples of headphones I do think sound good. I guess you can sort of call this a semi-recommendation and I'll explain why.

The Sennheiser PC350 and the PC360. Both are great sounding headsets but the problem is the price. The PC350 is probably a HD515 and the PC360 is probably a HD518 (after listening to them). In this case, you are effectively paying 60$ for the microphone on the headphone, which to me, is a stupid thing to get. At the price of the PC360, you could have gotten Ultrasone Pro 550, Audio-Technica AD700(or A700 depending on preference), or Shure SRH-840 which are superior headphones. If you wanted to stick with Sennheiser, you could have gotten a HD555 which are all superior headphones. In the case of the PC360, you are looking at Beyerdynamic DT770, DT880, DT990 (it depends on price) or Audio-Techinica AD900. If you have heard these, it would be very very difficult justifying a PC360 over these.

The best example I can give is the Beyerdynamic MMX300. Essentially, these are Beyerdynamic DT770 32 Ohms with a mic selling for 100$+ the price of the Beyerdynamic DT770 alone. Undoubtedly, these are wonderful headsets indeed, but I feel hard to support paying 100$ for basically, a low quality mic.
    ASUS Rampage IV Formula || G.SKILL 32GB Ripjaws X || NZXT Hale90 1000w
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM 2TB || 2x128GB Plextor M3
    2x 27" Yamakasi Catleap + Dell Ultrasharp
    Zowie AM || Too many keyboards. (Using reds atm) || ARTISAN VE White
    Steam Profile
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 01-19-2012, 02:58 PM

Just bumping this a bit. This one needs to be stickied.

War. War Never Changes.

Steam - Mafia Cleaver
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 01-20-2012, 10:56 AM

someone should mention about the speed of your phone line having nothing to do with ping, as it is surprising how many people believe you need a massive internet connection to be competitive online, when you can get people with 100meg lines having worse pings than people on lines at under a meg, since the routing done by the ISP is what determines your ping.