Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Magazine and site talk

#11   Report Post  
    Old 01-15-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Red_Avatar View Post
    Did I ?

But seriously, these Top 50 or Top 100s were always about being controversial. Heck, I remember the huge stink it caused when PC Gamer took the genius move of putting the Quake multiplayer demo (three maps) on spot 3 in the top 50 back in 1996? I believe. Loads of angry letters of how a demo could end up so high! Then the year after, the full game was at spot 1 (which now seems laughable really, considering how shitty Quake's single player mode was and how few people could play multi player at the time).

And yeah, like I said in the blog post, I do still catch myself getting annoyed at stupid entries. I haven't read the top 100 yet but say they put Dragon Age II above real classics, it would piss me off big time - the game doesn't even deserve to get 5/10 let alone a place in the top 100 of best PC games ever considering my short list of favorite games is many times longer than that.
    To be honest, I don't think anyone over the age of about 12 really cares what someone else rates as "the best 100 games ever", but what is the point of a games forum if people don't actually talk about it!! (but yeh, Dragon age II is, apparently, "better"than Grim Fandango!)
      #12   Report Post  
    Old 01-16-2012, 11:58 AM

Quote:
    but yeh, Dragon age II is, apparently, "better"than Grim Fandango
    fuckrightofftohellandbackitis.

-------
    An irreverent look at gaming, and film; www.TheFunTurret.com
      #13   Report Post  
    Old 01-19-2012, 08:20 PM

In a world where a Bus Simulator (OMSI) is better than Tie Fighter, Psychonauts, Stalker, Thief: Deadly Shadows and Il-2 Sturmovic, anything is possible apparently...

No place for Portal 2 either it seems. I think PCG are playing Devils Advocate this time for sure...

Last edited by darthsteve333; 01-19-2012 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Incredible lack of punctuation caused by having my brain slowly dissolved at work.
      #14   Report Post  
    Old 01-19-2012, 08:40 PM

I didn't like Deus Ex.

Habe ich eine braucht kondom gegessen.
    Best you don't ask.
      #15   Report Post  
    Old 01-19-2012, 08:59 PM

I think that overall (mainly in the upper sections) it was an alright list but some games were unforgivably missing (before anyone has a go at me, or anyone in this thread this is totally opinion, and accross a list of 100, opinion will play an ENORMOUS PART. As long as noone trolls and says the top 3 should have been Duke Nukem Forever, CoD8 and Garbage Simulator 2000 no abuse should be required). For example Guild Wars' absence was appalling and Portal 2 should definitely have been there.

A lot of the time there were what I thought mediocre games on there. Good games, but there have been 10s of thousands of games in the past 30 years and these are not the best 100 I don't think. There was a definite move towards indie games made in the last year, and very old games. Latter is forgivable, and the former is nice but they went too far. No way is VVVVVV one of the best games ever. I could say the same for PvZ, Peggle, Spelunky, Psychonauts among others. Also a few games that were mainstream I found myself shaking my head at. DoW2? Pffft. DA2? Same reaction. Company of Heroes was good, but not that good. Feel the same about Battlefield 3, Sins of a Solar Empire, Titan Quest, and to some extent LIMBO (though imo if I had to keep the same games this would be a fair deal higher than it is currently)

That said, I thought the top 10 was pretty solid, and although new, a deserved #1 spot for skyrim. Agree though, I don't think it needed 2 Deus Ex games. Half Life 2 should have swapped with Deus Ex, at the very least.

Note, I have played every game I mentioned for being not very good.

- Intel i5 2500k (3.3ghz, thinking of overclocking but need new mobo)
    - 4GB Kingston 1333mhz DDR3 RAM
    - Asus P8H67-M
    - GTX 560ti
    - Samsung Spinpoint 1TB hard drive
    - Corsair 650 watt powersupply
    - BenQ EW2420 monitor
      #16   Report Post  
    Old 01-20-2012, 02:19 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pushty View Post
    I didn't like Deus Ex.
    That's OK, you can't be right all the time

And Codename, I disagree with your opinion about VVVVVV, it is a fantastically made game that made me smile. Very few games can really keep me going like that did. Also, you will get tarred and feathered for talking about Psychonauts that way. You might want to start running now.
      #17   Report Post  
    Old 01-20-2012, 07:00 AM

Yeah, CoH was that good, in my opinion, and there should be a spot reserved for PvZ for several years to come. (Not in the top 10, or even top 50, but I feel it should be in there somewhere.)

Best you don't ask.
      #18   Report Post  
    Old 01-22-2012, 10:04 AM

VVVVVV was alright... I didn't enjoy it past the first hour though. Still don't get the craze with psychonauts. PvZ probably does belong on there, but world of goo (100th) was better. And NO WAY, was company of heroes the 12th best pc game ever made. Not in a million years. I found it interesting and it was well made but I never had the incentive to come back to it like I did in other RTS's.

- Asus P8H67-M
    - GTX 560ti
    - BenQ EW2420 monitor
      #19   Report Post  
    Old 01-22-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Codename Beta View Post
    PvZ probably does belong on there, but world of goo (100th) was better.
    I played PvZ for 3 consecutive days, more or less non-stop. After that it was still one of my most-played games, that was a very long time ago and I'm still coming back to it every now and again.

I got bored of World of Goo after 2 hours.

Best you don't ask.
      #20   Report Post  
    Old 01-22-2012, 12:53 PM

I've bought World of Goo on 3 different platforms, played at least 50, probably closer to 100 hours of it and still go on it sometimes.

Bought PvZ and stopped playing after around 5 hours because I found each level boring after I got a combination of plants that worked.

The difference between us all.

- Asus P8H67-M
    - GTX 560ti
    - BenQ EW2420 monitor