Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Magazine and site talk

#1   Report Post  
    Old 01-13-2012, 01:11 PM

Default Top 100 (UK Edition)

Looking through my freshly opened PCG I notice the familiar top 100 list and skip straight to the top five so I've got something to moan about.

A little surprised about L4D2 being so high up and still disappointed that WoW is still classed as a game but I'm generally happy to see the results. However...

Deus Ex is at number four and Human Revolution is at number six. Now anyone that knows me on this forum will know that I tend to start foaming at the mouth at the very mention of negative views against Deus Ex but I have to wonder, is the original Deus Ex really better than HR?

I loved Deus Ex and I'm filled with nostalgia each time I play or think about it but Human Revolution captures the spirit of the original and they gives it a good polish. Granted, I don't like the 3rd person stealth since it made it a little easy and the boss fights were awful but the majority of the game is well made and simply better than Deus Ex. If you were to give both games to someone these days and let them play through, I severely doubt any of them would pick the now creaking Deus Ex.

I thought I'd also leave this thread open for other top 100 discussion since I'm sure that's what it will dissolve into.
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 01-13-2012, 04:34 PM

It's all preference and opinion... they're like assholes, everyone has one.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 01-13-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jealy View Post
    It's all preference and opinion... they're like assholes, everyone has one.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's the wrong decision to make, I was just curious as to what other people thought.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 01-14-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mibeshu View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's the wrong decision to make, I was just curious as to what other people thought.
    Let me put it this way:

Deus Ex I could replay every few months.

Deux Ex: HR gives me no incentive at ALL to replay. The game has some seriously flaws when it comes to replaying and that's due to how experience is awarded. In Deus Ex, experience was far more correct - in HR, there's triggers all over the map. If you want a lot of experience, you have to use the most efficient way (e.g. giving you the most XP) AND then find the crawl spaces to get the bonus XP. It's not the most realistic way of playing, but it gets you a lot more experience that way and a lot of people I talked to, did the same thing.

The problem there, lies with the amount of computers you can hack. By the end of the game, at least a third of all my XP came from hacking. Even when I had the password for a terminal, I'd still hack it for the extra money and XP but by the mid-point in the game, it became very tedious to do but because of the high reward, I felt I had little chance but to do it. If I were to replay the game, it would be even more tedious since I already did it before AND would not get the fun from revealing the story like I did the first time.

So either I don't hack and miss out on tons of XP, or I hack and get bored quickly. Neither of which are any fun to me since my gaming side will demand I get the XP.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 01-14-2012, 04:48 PM

I'm more surprised at the position of Dragon Age II.
    That it has one.
    Give it up PC Gamer, you are convincing no-one!
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 01-14-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JackRabbit View Post
    I'm more surprised at the position of Dragon Age II.
    That it has one.
    Give it up PC Gamer, you are convincing no-one!
    [url]http://seeingredrant.wordpress.com/2012/01/09/top-50-top-100-top-oh-who-cares/[/url]

<.<
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 01-14-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Red_Avatar View Post
    So either I don't hack and miss out on tons of XP, or I hack and get bored quickly. Neither of which are any fun to me since my gaming side will demand I get the XP.
    I did none of that on my play through and still managed to get enough XP to get all the upgrades I wanted. If you want to be a completionist then fine but the game isn't forcing you to get that XP, only giving you the option to do so as is the point of the Deus Ex series.

As for replayability, the amount of different paths through a level was staggering, far more than Deus Ex. The conversation options gives the game more depth allowing you to interact with the world differently not only physically but socially as well. Deus Ex never gave you that social depth and HR only improved on the infiltration and combat.
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 01-14-2012, 07:43 PM

I'm not a completionist - they simply want to experience every part of the game.

I'm someone who is an "efficitionist" - huge difference. It means that I want my character to be as good as can be if possible. If there's extra XP to have with a limited XP in total, I'll want to get it and feel crap if I don't. Same with items: if there's items I need or could use well, I'll want them.

With games like DX:HR, I want to tackle problems in the most efficient way as well - if I notice stealth would be more appropriate in one location, I'll want to use it. In the next room, I might find that combat is more efficient in tackling the situation. Because of this, I need to have enough XP to make me good enough in both to be able to do that. Stuff like breaking through walls and shit, were pretty much a "must" for me and there were quite a few such skills that I wanted quickly.

In short, games that offer limited XP yet make you focus on certain skills will ALMOST make me want to squeeze every XP point out of it - and in DX:HR you could get a LOT out of hacking everything you can, including alarms.
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 01-14-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Red_Avatar View Post
    [url]http://seeingredrant.wordpress.com/2012/01/09/top-50-top-100-top-oh-who-cares/[/url]

<.<
    Says the man who has just gone off on why Deus Ex should be higher than Deus Ex Human Revolution!
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 01-15-2012, 02:04 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JackRabbit View Post
    Says the man who has just gone off on why Deus Ex should be higher than Deus Ex Human Revolution!
    Did I ?

But seriously, these Top 50 or Top 100s were always about being controversial. Heck, I remember the huge stink it caused when PC Gamer took the genius move of putting the Quake multiplayer demo (three maps) on spot 3 in the top 50 back in 1996? I believe. Loads of angry letters of how a demo could end up so high! Then the year after, the full game was at spot 1 (which now seems laughable really, considering how shitty Quake's single player mode was and how few people could play multi player at the time).

And yeah, like I said in the blog post, I do still catch myself getting annoyed at stupid entries. I haven't read the top 100 yet but say they put Dragon Age II above real classics, it would piss me off big time - the game doesn't even deserve to get 5/10 let alone a place in the top 100 of best PC games ever considering my short list of favorite games is many times longer than that.