Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > SW: The Old Republic

#1   Report Post  
    Old 01-09-2012, 01:15 PM

Default Why the game looks a little pants

I can't be the only one to wonder why the game doesn't look quite as shiney as i expected.

And apparently i'm not. It turns out the selecting the High texture setting in your preferences actually only gives you medium. To add insult to injury Bioware are revising the settings in the next patch to remove the medium setting leaving you with low and high (where "high"= medium).

There's an enormous post about it here: [url]http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=151787[/url]

Note that the high textures do exist in the game files, and at certian times (e.g immediately upon using a holo terminal) you do see them very briefly.

Here's a nice example of what you should be getting and what you actually get: [url]http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/5493/hirez.jpg[/url]

Just thought it was an interesting find and hopefully something that will be fixed.
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 01-09-2012, 01:22 PM

Location: a gated compound at a secret location in rural America

ya always knew the high settings were not really that coming as i have from a game with true highres textures(lotro - so high res you can tell differnt fabrics apart and count stitching) and proper graphics options from day1 - ie AA and more then 8 paltry clikboxes

i do recall that in the convo cutscenes the textures seem better but still not completely high res.

i wonder if they restricted true high res because of client performance issues?

i have noted that this game taxes my cpu far more then my gpu.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 01-09-2012, 01:41 PM

the simple way to put this (and I'm not calling the game I still enjoy it) the game wasn't ready to be released, it is just another in a long line of games EA has pushed out early because of people moaning it was taking too long, only to lead to the same people moaning the game isn't finished.

EA should of left it to be finished, the AA options and such were in the beta (they were disabled) but they knew they were working on them, these are basic features that should be in the game, the fact is this game was released several months to early to try to please the moaners who were always just going to moan it was unfinished, I just hope this time it wont kill the game as it has killed many games that came before it.

as for the comment "it's probably because of the performance they took out the high textures" options in the settings are just that, they are option, they are not forced on so there has to be another reason these are disabled, with the way the game is it seems more likely that the high detail textures were just unfinished as a lot of the graphics engine seems to of been left out or just not finished.

I just hope Bioware can fix (finish) the game fast enough so it doesn't die out like the other games EA forces out early to try to make more.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 01-09-2012, 03:43 PM

Reading a bit more about this it appears that their is noticeable tearing when high textures are enabled plus some armours don't display in their entirety, so it sounds like its not currently implemented because its not finished.

Hopefully they will fix this in time and enable it, either than just run with what they have currently. I'm also hoping they fix/improve the draw distance for ground objects because seeing the grass grow as i drive towards it make me feel ill.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 01-09-2012, 10:59 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWinkle View Post
    I'm also hoping they fix/improve the draw distance for ground objects because seeing the grass grow as i drive towards it make me feel ill.
    Ah, so that's not just me then.
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 01-10-2012, 06:41 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zalid View Post
    Ah, so that's not just me then.
    There was me thinking it was the power of the force emanating from me giving life to the planet around me...

I've heard about this 'holo-communicator' trick, anyone know how to do it so I can have a look at the differences on my rig?
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 01-10-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by childofbhaal View Post
    There was me thinking it was the power of the force emanating from me giving life to the planet around me...

I've heard about this 'holo-communicator' trick, anyone know how to do it so I can have a look at the differences on my rig?
    It's not a trick as such, more just a residual bug. When using a holo communicator, for the 1st 0.5 seconds you character will be rendered in high detail.

Apparently your companion is rendered in high detail in the preview window if you you ctrl-click to see what items look like on them too.
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 01-10-2012, 11:40 PM

That grass growing thing bugs the life outta me too
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 01-11-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nicho521 View Post
    That grass growing thing bugs the life outta me too
    It's not a bug, its just the draw distance for ground clutter/items/objects/grass etc is very low, resulting in being able to see the items appear in game as you move.

Usually there's an option in most games to adjust the draw distance since drawing things further away from the character means drawing/rendering more items which is a greater load on your GPU. The graphical options in SWtoR seem very limited.
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 01-11-2012, 12:42 PM

Some .ini file tweaks [url]http://uk.gamespot.com/star-wars-the-old-republic/forum/comprehensive-list-of-swtor-ini-tweaks-keep-bumped-61343050?page=1[/url]