Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > SW: The Old Republic

#1   Report Post  
    Old 12-21-2011, 06:20 PM

Default Graphics Card... or do I suck?

Hello forum. I hope I'm not repeating anything that's already been said here but I have a query for anyone playing on an NVIDEA GeForce 8800 GTS 512 (or thereabouts gfx card) and/or a XFX Radeon 6870 (as recommended in the PC Gamer rig).

I've been playing the game for a few days now and noticed that in the game world I sometimes get a lag with my abilities where the cooldown animation on the ability icons won't kick in for a few seconds. Also in PvP this gets much worse to the extent that Huttball is impossible and the other BG's are only doable if I'm lucky enough to be engaged one on one.

So my questions are thus:
    Does anyone with a GeForce 8800 (or similar) card also get this lag?
    Can anyone confirm that an XFX Radeon 6870 card runs smoothly in PvP?
    Has anyone switched from the aforementioned GeForce to a XFX Radeon 6870 recently that can testify to the performance gains?

I should note I've got 6GB of DDR2 RAM loaded and an Intel Q6600 @2.40GHz processor.

Thanks in advance, hope everyone's enjoying this game!
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 12-21-2011, 07:03 PM

I'm running the game with xfx 6850 1Gb at 60+ fps on pvp so I would say that it runs smooth in pvp.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 12-21-2011, 09:32 PM

Here's a great article by Tom's Hardware (may be worth a sticky) that breaks down performance in SW:TOR with a bunch of different setups and settings. Their analysis is basically that you can get the game looking nice with smooth fps but it takes a beefier rig than it probably should.

Judging by their findings you may actually even be slightly hampered by your CPU in addition to GPU...

[url]http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/star-wars-gaming-tests-review,3087.html[/url]

I will say that, after reading this article, I decided to upgrade my GPU to a 560ti, while keeping my Core 2 Duo 2.66ghz CPU and 4 gigs of Ram. I play with all the settings maxed, but with Vsync on (I get a lot of tearing without it) I'm still getting less than buttery smooth fps in some outdoor and heavily populated areas. Nothing unplayable, mind you, but it's noticeable.

Here's hoping Bioware does some optimization to improve performance - I don't even have AA forced. Going to try it tonight but hoping it doesn't hit my fps too hard.

Last edited by colbypoulson; 12-21-2011 at 09:35 PM.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 12-22-2011, 12:41 AM

Thanks for the replies, they're very useful! I think on the information on the link I'll go for an upgrade to the XFX Radeon 6870 and if my CPU just isn't cutting the mustard I'll bite the bullet and rebuild!