Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > Minecraft > US Server

#1   Report Post  
    Old 04-04-2013, 10:34 PM

Question Whats up with the sever today

why has it been down for like 2-3 hr or is it just me
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 04-04-2013, 10:48 PM

The server is definitely down, but it had been up most of the day. It's possible some work is being done.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 04-04-2013, 10:59 PM

ok cool thank you
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 04-23-2013, 04:25 AM

This may be connected with the security against x-ray textures Snyte has added. Thus far I've only noticed an occasional texture swapping.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 04-23-2013, 05:54 PM

That texture swapping thing is really weird. I've found quite a significant FPS reduction since the anti-x-ray tech has been publicly enabled
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 04-29-2013, 02:30 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kernalk View Post
    That texture swapping thing is really weird. I've found quite a significant FPS reduction since the anti-x-ray tech has been publicly enabled
    I haven't noticed any difference. you running the vanilla client? and what is significant? eg was at 60 now at 10 ect :P

Pvy.
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 05-02-2013, 07:38 PM

I've been looking into this more since I wrote that. I can't rule out that it might be something to do with my PC but fwiw yes I use the vanilla JAR using the MinecraftLauncher launcher.

It's not impossible that my woes are caused by a Windows update, a Java update, a Chrome update, a Flash update or something else entirely but I'm fairly certain the one thing it's not is connectivity problems.

The main thing I see is a dramatic amount of stuttering when I turn in any direction. Standing still everything's groovy but when I turn at all I would estimate that the real frame rate is about 3fps.

Normally it's not too bad but it causes significant issues placing blocks and if I'm attacked by a mob from either side or behind I'm often toast
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 05-03-2013, 12:42 AM

out of curiosity whats your rig like. there are a few things to check, update java and check that your display drivers are up to date.

I was having issues with random lag spikes a month or so ago but it is all gone now.

My pc is not the best to compare to tho, as it is prety powerfull (FX8350 , ATI 7970OC, 16 gig DDR3 ect.)

Pvy.
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 05-04-2013, 01:23 PM

My PC is a few years old because I've been neglecting it essentially. It plays the games I like and further upgrades are going to basically be a new PC due to hardware age. Intel Core i5 - 760, 8GB DDR3, nVidia GeForce GTX 8800 320MB I think are the critical ones.

I keep Windows and Java patched up to date, within 3 days usually (also Chrome, Flash and as much else as I can). Since I've noticed the performance deterioration in Minecraft only (as I said coinciding with the revelation of the anti-x-ray tech) I have installed no new hardware.

Oddly, I have noticed 4 graphics related BSoDs in the last week so that might be related. I tend to use the WDDM drivers through Windows Update rather than directly source them, I appreciate there's a gap between new drivers being released by AMD/nVidia and their becoming available through Windows Update but this is the way I roll. I like the extra testing.

Oh yes, Windows 7 x64 with Java x64 too.
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 05-04-2013, 07:23 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kernalk View Post
    The main thing I see is a dramatic amount of stuttering when I turn in any direction. Standing still everything's groovy but when I turn at all I would estimate that the real frame rate is about 3fps.

Normally it's not too bad but it causes significant issues placing blocks and if I'm attacked by a mob from either side or behind I'm often toast
    I have the exact same issue. It seems to be mostly limited to new chunks the server hasn't generated yet, but I've also experienced this in the overworld inside my garden from time to time. I normally get a smooth 30 or 60 fps myself, depending on what biomes I can see, but lately I've been getting lagspikes that drop my fps down to 4 sometimes. It's already killed me once and cost me several iron tools, a few stacks of glowstone dust, and almost a stack of nether quartz. Good thing I wasn't carrying diamonds.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pvyParts View Post
    out of curiosity whats your rig like. there are a few things to check, update java and check that your display drivers are up to date.
    My drivers and Java are up to date.

CPU: AMD Athlon II (quad-core)
    RAM: 4 GB
    Video: Nvidia GeForce GT 430
    Minecraft: Vanilla

I haven't tried it in single-player or any other servers yet, so I don't know how isolated this issue is.