Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer

#1   Report Post  
    Old 08-10-2010, 11:29 AM

Default Love

After messing in Minecraft (great game, but so very lonely), I found myself drawn back to Love for a bit of multiplayer building/fighting/getting beaten up by ruthless AI.

Unfortunately, it seems to be very quiet these days, played it for two days and only seen one other person (who helpfully said "Need a hand with anything?" before dissapearing and not been seen since), so I was curious; any of you lot still play this odd little game?

I follow Quelsolaar on twitter and he seems to be updating almost constantly, yet the UK server seems to be all but deserted, which is a bloody shame as the game is utterly captivating, but very difficult to enjoy solo...
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 08-11-2010, 12:29 PM

How does Love compare to Minecraft?

I'm playing Minecraft at the moment and I'm loving it. I don't know why, but I have this thing in my head that Love has a very steep learning curve (maybe I got it confused with another game).
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 08-11-2010, 01:21 PM

Its similar in a wild way, but the games are very unique in practice. Love is about exploration in an open world, finding resources and fighting the rather trigger-happy AI... it just doesnt feel anything like Minecraft.

The terraforming system is more about manipulating than building, and you're always on the hunt for "tokens", which are basically tool-dispensers, but you need a few specific ones to do much of anything (config tool to get power, power generator to replenish your power supply etc.).

Its a very strange game, but unlike Minecraft, it relies on players working together to get the job done. Its also (IMO) not as fun as Minecraft, almost purely due to this lack of players.

Its a shame its so quiet, doubly so when you see the almost constant updating Quel Solaar is doing. And the game is much improved since I played it last year, if not quite enough; Tokens are still really tough to find, the AI is by turns totally passive and then suddenly swarming your settlement, the graphics are amazingly beautiful but irritating on the eyes after a while, there are very few sounds in-game, and overall there is little end-game (although thats not a problem at the mo, you cant REACH the end game when your the only one playing).

Minecraft + decent multiplayer and I would probably stick with Minecraft, if I was honest.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 08-12-2010, 10:35 AM

With Minecraft multiplayer on the way, I'll probably give it a miss. It does sound interesting though.

So many games, so little time ...
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 08-12-2010, 02:26 PM

Tell me about it.