Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Games

#1   Report Post  
    Old 11-30-2011, 09:51 AM

Default Is gear progression essential to an mmo?

Big gamble inc in GW2 among its better innovation comes this risky concept.

[url]http://youtu.be/UOg0O9CBsns[/url]

/discus...
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 11-30-2011, 09:58 AM
    Banned

no. Role playing is essential to mmo's , with out that , you have Wow.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 11-30-2011, 10:10 AM
    Banned

Quote:
    Originally Posted by American_Freedom View Post
    no. Role playing is essential to mmo's , with out that , you have Wow.
    Which is considered the most successfull MMO ever. You can roleplay in World of Warcraft, there are even dedicated servers with custom rules to do so. The majority of the playerbase however, just don't like it. Neither do I. It seems odd and unnatural to play out a role over the internet. One could say you do so by just playing a character, but the entire concept of roleplaying still feels "nerdy" to me. I simply don't get the fun part of it.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 11-30-2011, 10:11 AM

I think GW2 will sell in huge numbers because its a buy to play with no sub. However I think it will be a lot of peoples second choice game, this just confirms that.

I haven't seen a lot of innovation from the many videos I've seen from GW2 despite what people claim.

Champions Online did away with the holy trinity. Everyone just played dps and groups had no structure, instances were a mess, die/respawn/run back.

I think it proves that the GW2 devs have been unable/unwilling to balance raids without the holy trinity. A huge section of MMO players is about progression, raiding and gear.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 11-30-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZapJohn View Post
    Which is considered the most successfull MMO ever. You can roleplay in World of Warcraft, there are even dedicated servers with custom rules to do so. The majority of the playerbase however, just don't like it. Neither do I. It seems odd and unnatural to play out a role over the internet. One could say you do so by just playing a character, but the entire concept of roleplaying still feels "nerdy" to me. I simply don't get the fun part of it.
    lol so grinding for 3p1X l007z0r5 isn't nerdy? ofc it is, in fact it's hella nerdier than pretending to be a wizard for yucks if you're pretending to be a stat increasing machine for deep satisfaction

but seriously, in what could be a universe destroying paradox, I agreed with American Freedom - I might play an mmorpg if there was any kind of real R stuff in there

but there isn't - classes are a subset of roles, and so is character, but the AAA 'RPGs' of today have dispensed with everything but the class part of the 'role' - I hoped SWTOR might succeed there, but clearly not, so maybe Secret World can manage it? we can but pray

imo without the character side the classes and lootz are substanceless trash on a par with MW or BF style XP systems

and purely for AF post today's tech section

oh, and so this post wasn't entirely off topic, given that I can't stomach mmorpgs as the exist now because all they're about is stat progression I'll answer the OP question with 'unfortunately, yes'

Holy Cow - Warren Spector
    Life is too fucking short to hear or play Freebird - Isaac Brock
    I hope I see you later, where everybody's okay - Randy Brewer

Last edited by DuddBudda; 11-30-2011 at 11:13 AM.
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 11-30-2011, 11:25 AM
    Banned

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DuddBudda View Post
    lol so grinding for 3p1X l007z0r5 isn't nerdy? ofc it is, in fact it's hella nerdier than pretending to be a wizard for yucks if you're pretending to be a stat increasing machine for deep satisfaction
    As mentioned, that was my opinion on the whole roleplaying. I've played loads of RPG's, but focus on objectives. Getting "epic loot" is an objective set forth by developers. Roleplaying is an optional route to take part in something that I personally describe as way too nerdy for me. If I was forced into a game to do such, that would be a game I couldn't play. It's too weird and odd for me, simply.

For those who find pleasure in doing it, that's fair and all, but it's hardly essential to an MMORPG, such as American_Freedom says.
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 11-30-2011, 12:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to Megazell Send a message via MSN to Megazell Send a message via Skype™ to Megazell

Skill progression - Yes

Gear progression - No
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 11-30-2011, 12:35 PM
    Banned

Quote:
    As mentioned, that was my opinion on the whole roleplaying. I've played loads of RPG's, but focus on objectives. Getting "epic loot" is an objective set forth by developers. Roleplaying is an optional route to take part in something that I personally describe as way too nerdy for me. If I was forced into a game to do such, that would be a game I couldn't play. It's too weird and odd for me, simply.

For those who find pleasure in doing it, that's fair and all, but it's hardly essential to an MMORPG, such as American_Freedom says.

So what does RP mean in mmorpg ? It's thinking like the above that has made the genre it is today. I'm glad a company like Bioware is releasing a game that takes us back into playing actual roles in a game world.

If I had one wish in gaming, it would be to see Blizzard crumble into ashes for what they did to a once a promising genre. SWTOR is a step in the right path, in my opinion in bringing Role playing back to actual mmorpg players.Many on mmorpg.com have stated that they feel the same way. Old EQ1 players, Ultima Players, Asheron Call players and even PRE CU players have found new life with in SWTOR.

GW2 will be another stepping stone of erasing what Blizzard has done, then the game after that and so on and so forth until we get the genre back on track, I hold Dan Stapleton solely responsible , since it was his blubbering and reviews that propelled WoW to where it is now. You can say one person can't make people do something, but you put that person in media, and they can do a whole lot of things. Look at Herman Cain right now as an example.Put into a perspective A president (Obama) makes 100 times less then what a Blizzard makes on WoW.

I may have the review of WoW / Blizzard here and also the first write up for the game, if I find them I will share them.

Last edited by American_Freedom; 11-30-2011 at 12:45 PM.
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 11-30-2011, 12:44 PM
    Banned

Quote:
    Originally Posted by American_Freedom View Post
    So what does RP mean in mmorpg ? It's thinking like the above that has made the genre it is today. I'm glad a company like Bioware is releasing a game that takes us back into playing actual roles in a game world.

If I had one wish in gaming, it would be to see Blizzard crumble into ashes for what they did to a once a promising genre. SWTOR is a step in the right path, in my opinion in bringing Role playing back to actual mmorpg players.
    Taking part in playing roles in a game world, is available in a grand scheme in World of Warcraft. It's just not incorporated onto your ass every move you make. SW:ToR takes load of ideas from WoW, so wanting to see Blizzard crumble into ashes, for sparking life into the MMORPG genre, must be the dumbest comment I've seen this November. Congratulations
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 11-30-2011, 12:46 PM
    Banned

Quote:
    Taking part in playing roles in a game world, is available in a grand scheme in World of Warcraft. It's just not incorporated onto your ass every move you make. SW:ToR takes load of ideas from WoW, so wanting to see Blizzard crumble into ashes, for sparking life into the MMORPG genre, must be the dumbest comment I've seen this November. Congratulations
    Keep thinking that when you are playing D3 with graphics from 2005. The mmorpg genre didn't need "life." Like all genres it was niche. Development costs where low, the content was more thought out and the developers actually communicated with the player base. You keep dreaming that pumping millions of people into one game, made the rest of the mmorpg industry so much better.

With your kind of flame baiting, I will simply add you to block.

Last edited by American_Freedom; 11-30-2011 at 12:49 PM.