Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Games

#1   Report Post  
    Old 08-23-2011, 10:35 PM

Thumbs up Bastion

Not enough talk on here about this great game that was recently released on Steam. Anybody else playing it? What are your favorite weapons? I've settled on the very satisfying Scrap Musket for close-quarters blasting, the Army Carbine for long-range killing, and the Hand Grenade when I need to blow something up.
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 08-23-2011, 11:03 PM

I favor the Vorpal Blade and the Vanquishers.
    Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. "This 2004 FPS-RPG has voice-acting, world, and replayability that stands up to or outright beats modern AAA classics like Bioshock, Mass Effect, and New Vegas."
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 08-23-2011, 11:26 PM

I finally got it running with the latest update, I'm having a lot of fun with it. The narrator is a really cool feature.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 11-25-2011, 11:39 PM

Bastion is my game of the year, no doubt, imo it's what Zelda should have become post-N64, instead of desperately trying to revisit past glories

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Arodin View Post
    Not enough talk on here about this great game that was recently released on Steam. Anybody else playing it? What are your favorite weapons? I've settled on the very satisfying Scrap Musket for close-quarters blasting, the Army Carbine for long-range killing, and the Hand Grenade when I need to blow something up.
    that is the exact same loadout as I just used to finish the game with werewhisky, fetching-fizz, lifewine, bastion bourbon and squirt cider (I had a sixth slot but never saw another Liquor I wanted [ie: I forgot]) as well as like four gods for +25% jazz

I thought I'd gamed the loadout too excessively, which kinda felt wrong for the spirit of Bastion, but I can't escape that ingrained RPG behaviour

What time is it? It's [SPOILER] time

how did y'all make those couple choices and wahtidya think of the outcome? I picked Zulf up (loved the Ura spearmaiden who killed the dude that fired on us) and evacuated the Bastion, and then shed a tear for the lil village that you can see as Rucks mentions the surprise peeps'll have when we moor up on their doorstep

I watched the restoration ending on youtub and, despite being so nasty in comparison, there was a guy claiming it was the 'real' ending - I thought that was BS cos I wanna think that the choice is there so you can make the real ending, and I struggle to see the appeal of a recursive universe (makes me think of Tau Zero) when another future is possible

But right now I'm feeling like I do when I finish a good series (like His Dark Materials, or the Wire) where I just want more of that world - I'd happily play a farmville or w/e just t5o spend more time with the Kid &co

And really, I wana know what Bastion is about

Holy Cow - Warren Spector
    Life is too fucking short to hear or play Freebird - Isaac Brock
    I hope I see you later, where everybody's okay - Randy Brewer

Last edited by DuddBudda; 11-25-2011 at 11:58 PM.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 11-26-2011, 01:52 AM

Just wanna say [hipster]I liked Bastion before it was cool to like Bastion.[/hipster]

But yeah, anyone tries to tell me that games aren't art, I point them at the likes of Bastion (along with Amnesia/Defcon/Braid/Limbo etc etc; why is it that indies are the best examples of this?)

Story, gameplay, music and that sexy sexy voice all combine beautifully. Or as Yahtzee put it - It's paradise for an anthrophobic aeronautics engineer.

Anyway to your question OP, I think I went with the carbine and... Well to be honest I think I used the carbine 98% of the time, fucking great that thing was.
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 11-26-2011, 06:30 AM

I'll agree with Dudd on this one (a rare occurrence). Bastion is my GOTY. The soundtrack is just baller as fuck as well.

#7   Report Post  
    Old 11-26-2011, 11:12 AM

Planning on getting this one once I save more money. How long is it? Will it take at least 15+ hours to complete?
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 11-26-2011, 01:48 PM
    Banned

Quote:
    Originally Posted by consigliere94 View Post
    Planning on getting this one once I save more money. How long is it? Will it take at least 15+ hours to complete?
    Nah, I clocked 7-8 hours on my first playthrough, still a good amount. Theres a new game plus mode if you want to run it again but I'm not sure exactly how much changes storywise, I've only encountered one line of dialogue thats different.

As for my weapons, I think I used the pike and the scrap musket (Might've switched to the carbine later on, can't remember)

Tags

bastion, indy