Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Games

#1   Report Post  
    Old 11-01-2011, 10:31 PM

Arrow AdventureX 2012 - official announcement

Thanks to everyone who took an interest in this thread & the event that took place near Christmas in 2011. We're running the show again for 2012, this time in central London. We hope to make the event free for all, but that & the new venue require funding which you can help with over at our [URL="http://www.indiegogo.com/adventurex2012"]IndieGoGo Campaign[/URL].

Special guests over the 2 days in 2012 will include Dave Gilbert ([URL="http://www.wadjeteyegames.com/"]Wadjet Eye Games[/URL]), Stephen Marley ([URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martian_Gothic:_Unification"]Martian Gothic[/URL]), Alex Warren (creator of [URL="http://www.textadventures.co.uk/quest/"]Quest[/URL]), Jon Ingold (CEO [URL="http://www.inklestudios.com/"]Inkle Studios[/URL]) and other guests not yet announced because we need to reach our goal ASAP!

You can find out more about the 2012 show at [URL="http://www.screen7.co.uk/adventurex"]the official AdventureX website[/URL], and I will of course continue to pop by and keep an eye on this thread in case anyone has any questions.

AdventureX is an event for fans of point & click, modern 3D, text (IF) & game book adventures. Come and celebrate the genre with like minded fans and developers over the weekend of Dec 15 & 16th 2012

Thanks for reading! This thread is actually an old one kicked up, so here's my original content from last year...

Quote:
    Greetings adventure game fans, point & click lovers and game designers the world over. I'm here to announce the first of hopefully many AdventureX gatherings taking place this year in the UK just before Christmas.

AdventureX is a humble gathering for fans, players and designers of adventure games - with previews and games to play, special guests with interesting talks and general tomfoolery as we open the world of point & clicks up to the public.

This year is the birth of the event, so it's a little smaller than originally planned. We've got a nice venue with plenty of space for people to come and play some games, meet other fans and developers, have a drink and listen to our guests talk about adventure game subjects. It's taking place over two days on the 17th and 18th December just next to Didcot Parkway station in Oxfordshire.

I had previously hoped to host it in London but I'm afraid for this first edition that won't be possible. Despite that fact, Didcot itself is quick and easy to reach from London by train, and many other major cities in the UK. We have parking right next to the event that costs £2 for 24 hours.

So, if you are interested, please visit [size=3][url=http://adventurex.eventbrite.com]http://adventurex.eventbrite.com[/url][/size] to get a ticket! I will be honest - if less than 20 tickets are shifted, we won't be able to afford the venue. So tell your friends, get them to come along too.

Don't forget to use the discount code ONIONRINGS11 for a small discount on the ticket price!!

So what's happening at this years AdventureX?
    » Chris Bateman, designer of Discworld Noir is coming to give a talk on Saturday
    » Alasdair Beckett, designer of Nelly Cootalot: Spoonbeaks Ahoy speaking on Sunday
    » Chris Jones creator of Adventure Game Studio engine on Sunday
    » Yahtzee - delivering a special adventure game audio message on both days
    » Over 25 new adventure games, free & commercial - for you to preview, play & take home
    » Various daily debates about 2d & 3D art, selling games, audience psychology & more
    » Plenty of space to work on your own games, meet other developers etc
    » Licensed bar with beer, wine, tea & coffee
    » Mince pies and an afternoon buffet for free

[center] [/center]

If you're not ready to get a ticket yet and just want to know more, you can find plenty of info on the AdventureX website:

[size=3][url=http://www.screen7.co.uk/adventurex/]screen7.co.uk/adventurex/[/url][/size]

Of course, any questions you have - do feel free to reply here, or send me an email personally, (using the contact page on the website). If YOU have your own game, or if you feel you have an interesting talk to give - get in touch! I'm happy to showcase any adventure game and would welcome anyone who feels they can deliver an interesting speech.

Finally, I'd just like to tell you the list of things happenning at this years AdventureX is going to continue to grow from now up to the day it starts, so keep an eye out as I continue to secure more cool stuff for the event!

That's about it. Thank you for reading, and hopefully see you at AdventureX 2011!
    Regards,
    Mark Lovegrove

- organiser

Last edited by mods84; 10-01-2012 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Update
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 11-02-2011, 01:53 AM

I'm not a big fan of adventure games and I don't live in the UK, but I wish you luck and hope that the event goes well.
    We told you not to science, but you did you scienced anyway. You scienced that scientist with all the science in science. Following your explosive act of science upon the scientist, he scienced in retaliation that your sciencely method of sciencing could have scienced more scientifically.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 11-02-2011, 03:00 AM

Many thanks Nydus!
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 11-02-2011, 03:16 AM

I don't live in the UK either, but I love adventure games. I wish you the best of luck, especially if it ends up reviving the genre. =D
    Motherboard-Asus P5KPL-VM
    Case-Nzxt TEMPEST
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 11-02-2011, 07:11 AM

Mark, tell me the finished version of FoY will be playable there and I'll be there in time to lay out the red carpet.

I'm very interested in this one, but have a very hectic schedule that time of year. Is there the possibility to pick up tickets on the door?

Either way, I hope to see you there, otherwise best of luck with the event.

#6   Report Post  
    Old 11-02-2011, 07:47 AM

Ha! Thank you

There will be a sneak peak of FoY but no complete game I'm afraid. There will be a mini-game by the FoY team premiering, it's called "Passage of Saints".

Yes, you can get tickets on the door, bit more expensive than buying online though. And I would urge people to buy online if they can, because it will be down to online sales that determine whether the event goes ahead or not. Online sales will determine the on the door price.

Thanks again for your interest - maybe see you there!
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 11-09-2011, 07:54 AM

Update for Nov 9th: I've added Day Tickets, you can still use "ONIONRINGS11" to get a small discount
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 12-08-2011, 09:44 AM

Talking

Oh PC Gamer - who review my friends' games and love AGS tutorials, and oh pc gamer readers, who have nothing better to do this Christmas - the event that is new around here yet starting to grow has a little more good news! Thank you for helping re-generate interest in such games

An update on AdventureX for December 8th:

On Saturday we will be joined by Neil Rennison of Tin Man Games who will talk to us about Gamebook Adventures, his successful iPad 'choose your own adventure' games which recently picked up Judge Dredd/2000AD rights. Prizes have also been kindly supplied by Lace Mamba Global for this years event, which include copies of Tales of Monkey Island, Gray Matter, The Book of Unwritten Tales and 15 Days. One or two lucky people will also win a free game from TellTale Games Inc. !

For anyone who cannot attend in person - perhaps you'd be interested in getting a "stay at home" ticket. You will be sent the newsletter, all the video interviews from the event and other special things. You will also be put into the online prize draw! You can also show your support for this years event this way - and as such choose how much you're willing to pay for the ticket. If you don't want to use Eventbrite, just visit the "tickets" page and scroll down for info on obtaining an e-ticket using PayPal.

Hopefully it'll be free one day (and at a more convinient time rather than right before Christmas), so thanks again for your kind support here in its early stages, even if it's just by reading this thread!

Mark
    -organiser
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 12-08-2011, 09:54 AM

Look forward to seeing you there.

Might have to grab you for a five minute interview if that's possible.

#10   Report Post  
    Old 12-08-2011, 06:47 PM

Sure thing, and thank you for getting a ticket!

Tags

2011, adventure, adventurex, games, show