Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Games > PC Gamer Game Club

#1   Report Post  
    Old 09-29-2011, 12:20 AM

Default The return?

Hi all,

I used to play some of the games on the PC gamer club, and what started here has moved on to other groups that I participate in. I think the main issue with the GOTW club,in my humble opinion, was that each game was on for a week. This made it difficult for some people to keep up, and possibly led to a decrease in interest.

I really liked the GOTW,and found it a really good way to discuss games with people, but at the time work was very demanding. I am an avid gamer and subscribe to the mid-life gamer podcast (recommended), and also follow their forums - which again I can't recommend enough.

The mid-life gamer site also runs a gaming club, but they play it for a month and people comment on it. Can we resurrect the GOTW club, and following their example, make it a game of the month? With people posting their reviews comments, we could also possibly award a prize for best review.

If anyone else thinks this is a good idea, reply to this post, i am happy to help run it and even offer up some prizes.

Thanks all for reading this,

Otto
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 10-01-2011, 07:34 AM

Absolutely, the only reason I haven't done this myself is that for some reason a new born child thinks he has better things to do than bounce on my knee whilst I'm typing.

I say go for it, pick a game yourself, post a massive blurb and see where we go. If you forget about it, or disappear off the forum, then someone else can just slap one up at the start of next month.

#3   Report Post  
    Old 10-01-2011, 01:12 PM

I am interested in participating on this again and I think that a month is too long for each game. I found the 2 week cycle we were using before was nice because it gave you lots of time and didn't feel rushed like the one week cycle.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 10-01-2011, 07:40 PM

Hi guys,

Thanks for replying, to the post. I know that 2 weeks might be enough for some people to complete a game, however slow people like me would struggle to get anywhere.

The 1 month does mean that more people will have the time to get involved and write a small review, and their comments on how they are progressing. I think if you go for a 2 week cycle, you are looking at 26 games a year, and that could come in quite expensive. My thoughts are, and the idea is that this is a club to enjoy and actually dicuss games, maybe try writing reviews - everyone has to start somewhere. Commenting on how you're progressing, offering tips to other players, comparing with other games in the genre. Where did it misss out? Was it a classic? Does it stand the test of time? We can then think more about the game, and offer a small prize for the best contributor. Who could then pick another game.

I would steer away from TF2, and things like that. Nip to GOG and pick some good stuff up and also some absolute turkeys, for comedy value. I mean 'Beneath a steel sky' is free, widely regarded as a classic, has everybody played it? Is it placed on a pedastal, where people look at it with reverence because it reminds them of a certain time in their lives?

Also, have you played it before, what else was developed by the same team? Do some exploring, if you have a month, and you complete it play another game by the same team, was it better - was there a follow up?

I am hoping that this will be like a book club, you dont read the book in 2 weeks and move in, though you can if you want. These are just my thoughts, I would be interested in others opinions and we can then kick off with a game for october.

Cheers

Otto
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 10-02-2011, 05:01 AM

Actually you have a lot of good points, and I could see a one month cycle being more relaxed and enjoyable. Personally I have grown up in the era of more of the newer titles and have a hard time enjoying older titles like xcom because of its very dated interface.

I think we should all suggest some games to play. Personally my favourite game from my childhood on PC was Roller Coaster Tycoon, and gog.com recently released the game bundled with its two expansion packs.
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 10-02-2011, 10:46 AM

Hi all,

I thank you for your input and have a couple of suggestions:

Rollercoaster Tycoon - I have never played it would be interested.
    Fahrenheit - A different novel approach, that came from the studio that brought you Heavy Rain.
    Beyond Good and Evil - regarded as a classic, remade recently, lets look at the original.
    Psychonauts - An overlooked classic? Was it really?

Otto
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 10-02-2011, 08:44 PM

I'd sign up if the Club does start up again on a monthly cycle. I'm with Otto regarding two weeks being a bit tight for me, I tend to have several games up in the air at any one time along with family commitments etc.

I would like to recommend Divinity 2 as being worth playing, I completely missed this game when it was released but having played for a few hours on OnLive it has me totally hooked.
    "...people who personify and love corporations to the point where they can actually feel betrayed by them - well, roll over and take it. You're in for a lifetime of abusive imaginary relationships."

(Blyth Jon, September 2011, PCGamer UK, p90)

Steam id: feersum
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 10-02-2011, 11:06 PM

I'd like to see the Club brought back; I thought Spank n Uranus did a great job during his tenure. I'd bring two points to your attention, however; firstly, I'd favour the two-week cycle, since most of those who are going to post would be likely to do so early. If a discourse did get going, I think it would be better for it to run out of time rather than fade out with two weeks left.

Secondly, I think there are more than a few people - and I'm one of them - who would be unlikely to buy a game simply because it's the Club selection, and would tend only to post for games that they already own or have played.

Either way, I'll be watching with interest, and if you decide to take it up, Otto, I wish you luck!
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 10-05-2011, 12:15 PM

Might I make a suggestion?

Scrap the 'timing' completely - instead make this a 'classic gaming club', where people would be free to suggest a game by starting a thread, and then whenever anyone felt like playing that game and/or contributing to the thread, they'd just jump right in, whenever it suited them.

More popular games would naturally trickle to the top of the forum, as they would receive more frequent posts.

It would also be useful for helping people to 'modernise' their classic games, as for example, responses to the game-thread might provide links/advice on things like widescreen support, enhanced graphics, getting games running with Vista/Win7 and so on.

To make it work, forumites would have to be tolerant of necro-posting. For example, Stalker SOC was one of the games a few months back. I'd like to feel I could play that in a couple of months (which I intend to do) and then contribute to that thread without being subject to the old flamethrower.

Just my 2 Eurocents...

[Edit]
    PS:
    A system like this would also mean no one would have to take on the burden of administration/polls etc.
    People would just declare themselve as the 'champion' of a particular game by starting a thread for it, saying why they think others should play it, pointing at where to get the game, and include whatever links/advice they have discovered for bringing the game up to date.
    Simples!

Last edited by Wolfhound; 10-05-2011 at 12:26 PM.
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 10-06-2011, 09:46 AM

Wolfhound,

That is a great idea, I think I'll start another post later today and see who joins in.

Thanks

Otto