Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > Eve Online > General Discussion

#11   Report Post  
    Old 11-24-2010, 03:45 PM

Tech Two fittings or fail Takes no time to train for a t2 fitted rifter.
      #12   Report Post  
    Old 08-23-2011, 07:04 PM

if you've got the isk i recommend using the test server cause as long as u can fly it u can fit it and everything is 100 isk or less
      #13   Report Post  
    Old 08-24-2011, 10:12 AM

fitts i still use today .....[URL="http://brutorbullfighter.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2011-06-05T21%3A30%3A00%2B01%3A00&max-results=7"]http://brutorbullfighter.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2011-06-05T21%3A30%3A00%2B01%3A00&max-results=7[/URL]
      #14   Report Post  
    Old 08-25-2011, 12:35 PM

Exclamation PVP basics.

Hi folks.

In preparation for doing some basic pvp training roams, I've written this guide to pvp/fleet basics. I'm kinda sticking my head above the parapet a little with this, its not an exhaustive guide and I'm sure i've probably missed some stuff, so feel free to chip in. Any piss taking can be settled with autocannons at dawn.

It's general basics and rules for survival, and some tips on how to work well in a fleet. It's not a guide to being a pvp god and none of it is that difficult, and others may see things differently but since it'll be me taking you out on the roam, we'll be doing it the only way I know how.

Some of it may seem daunting or complex, but you will get the hang of it, nothing in eve is actually as hard as it seems, with the possible reception of ship fitting, which is a black art.

You will die in pvp, everyone does. So fly what you can afford to lose. If you wanna fly a 1.7billion is pvp fit tengu, go for it, but be prepared that one day someone better than you will kill it.

We all make mistakes. A decent fc will take the piss or tease you a bit but it's all in good spirits. Its only a game, don't stress about it, everyone fucks up its the only way you learn.

For our training or lol roams, the corp will reimburse you for lost ships, unless you are a noob and bring something ridiculous like the tengu I mentioned. If the corp cannot replace your ship, and you'll get the is to buy a new one, even if I have to give you it myself. Unless you did something monumentally stupid like locked a station or gate and attacked it, then we'll just give you the 'piri Conrad medal of epic pvp fail. I have two.

The basics.

Ventrilo. This is a must. You NEED to be on voice comms or you are a total liability in fleet. At least being able to listen to instructions, though having a mic helps as you can scream when needed. PCGE vent details are in the corp info tab on your neocom.

Setup your overview. The default overview settings will get you killed in pvp in seconds. Too much clutter, too much crap. All you want on your overview for pvp is gates, stations, the sun and hostiles. Oh, ihaulit, you wonderful person, how do we achieve this, I hear you cry...

By following the instructions on this link, I reply!

It also is handy to right click the active overview tab and in the select columns option, make sure you tick 'velocity' as its helpful to see how fast your enemy is flying.
    OVERVIEW SETUP:
    [url]http://www.freetutorialssubmit.com/pvp-overview-settings-in-eve-online/953[/url]
    TABS
    [url]http://www.freetutorialssubmit.com/manage-eve-online-overview-tabs/955[/url]

Ok, now you've done that and have a clean overview. Good.

Align, warp, and jump.

Study this picture

[url]http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q53/haplo75/alignwarpdock.jpg[/url]

this one is a bit clearer:

[url]http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/571/gatel.png/sr=1[/url]

Those commands are essential. Don't mix them up. When the FC says align, he means align. Not warp, not jump. He hsnyou aligning for a reason, so you all warp and therefore arrive at the same time. Lemmings get killed by hostiles, if they warp too early and land before the rest of the fleet.
    Jump on contact means exactly that, jump as soon as you reach the gate.

See this pic.

[url]http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/2673/lemo.jpg[/url]

You don't want to be the lemmings.

I use keyboard shortcuts rather than click buttons. A is align, S is warp and D is jump/dock. Hold the relevant key and click On the overview on what you are to align/warp/jump to.

Hold cloak.

Fcs will sometimes ask you to jump and hold cloak. That means you jump thru gate then do nothing. Your ship will be cloaked and thus invisible to hostiles for 30 seconds, or until you move. so if you have jumped your fleet thru a gate into a swarm of hostiles, you have 30 seconds where they can't see you to pick targets and get your brain in gear for combat.

This brings me to the session change timer.

see pic:

[url]http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q53/haplo75/sessionchangetimer.jpg[/url]

Hit escape and in your options menu (general tab) tick the session change timer option. That's the 30 second timer that counts down whenever you jump, join a fleet, dock, undock, change ship etc. Its hard to spot, it appears on the top left of your screen just beside the name of the system you are in, as a spinning white circle. However the mouse over it to see how long is left. While its counting down you cannot jump/dock/undock/change ship. So for example, you jump through a gate into a hostile fleet and want to get the fuck out. You start to race back to the gate to jump out. Well, you can't jump til that 30 seconds Is up, so you are stuk on gate and bang, dead. Not if you were clever and stayed cloaked after jumping. Then you checked your timer and it says 20 seconds left. You are probably 12km from the gate after jumping. Do the msths quickly to work out how long it'll take you to get back to gate on your microwarpdrive. Stay cloaked until you have that amount of time left then race to the gate holding down the d key and clicking the gate, and hey presto you reach the gate as the timer runs out and you jump as you reach it and survive.

Don,t thank me, just throw money :-)

Primary/secondary.

In a fight, the fc will name targets. Primary is the one everyone has to shoot. For gods sake shoot the target the fc tells you to, not the one you think is most important. You only shoot the secondary if told to, just lock him to start with. The exception being if you lose lock on primary, you can shoot secondary while re locking the primary.

Soft align. This means align at half speed.

Shiptypes. It helps massively to be familiar with what each ship type is for. Example being, a drake Is a long range, heavily tanked missile boat. Its obviously a bigger threat than an ibis. An arazu had s long point and is fast. This only comes with experience but it does help.

What's a 'point' I hear you ask....... 'point means warp scrambler or warp disruptor. Fc asks you to point something it means activate your warp disruptor or scrambler on him, so he cannot warp off. Web is stasis webifier modules which reduce targets maximum speed. The tactical value of these modules cannot be overstated.

Be familiar with your ships. Know your optimal range for wespons, by right clicking the modules in space and looking at the attributes. By examining them in space rather than in station, the attributes shown include bonuses from your skills, they don't show when docked.

Orbit.

Set your default orbit distance to just inside your weapons optimals. For missilenships, your range is the missile flight time multiplied by its speed. A ten second flight time at 3750m/s is 37 kilometres.

Don't sit still in combat, orbit your target unless told otherwise. Moving targets are harder to hit in eve just like in the real world. It's called keeping your transversal up.

Fc may at times tell you to be aligned out in combat, this means be aligned to something like the sun or a station while you are fighting, so you can instantly warp away to that object if you are about to die.

Yellowboxing/redboxing.

Yellowboxing is locking someone or being locked by them. Your overview flashes yellow on the name of a person who locks you up.
    Redboxing is actively aggressing them or being aggressed. Your overview flashes red on someone who has attacked you.

Always have local chat open in a seperate window to other chat channels when in lowsec/nullsec. Easy to spot possible hostiles jumping in because the amount of people in local chat will increase.

Fit your ship according to its bonuses. If you are in a drake, use missiles which do kinetic damage, for example, as its description shows it gets bonuses to kinetic damage. Don't put weapons on a ship that doesn't get bonuses to those types of weapon.

Ventrilo/team speak etiquette.

We play eve for fun, its not a job. The end game is to kill the other guy and have a good time. However, in fleet on a roam, being a dick and not listening to the fc will get you and possibly your buddies, killed. The fc should be the only one speaking with the exception of the scout who has gone ahead. If you have something to ask or say, do it at an appropriate time when its quiet, or if it can't wait, for example, you are lagging behind and have been attacked, say 'check check or 'break break before saying it so the fc knows its important.

'Check check, have you seen star wars?' For example, is unneccessary chat. We can have some banter and lols when we're not fighting for our lives but do not clog up ventrilo with bullshit when people may die as a result.

Watch list/warping to a person.

When in fleet, you have a fleet window. If told to add someone to watch list, right click their name and select 'add to watchlist'. This means they appear on your hud in a separate window, so you can easily right click them and 'warp to member' if told to. ALWAYS add the scout to the watch list. He will usually be a system ahead and if he finds a target, fc might want you to warp to him and if you have 32 guys in fleet it takes too long to find the scouts name in amongst all the others in fleet window.

Anyhoo, that's all I can think of for now....

Good hunting.
    Shezz/Ihaulit

Core I7 930 @4.1
    6GB OCZ DDR3
    Dell wfp 3007 2560x1600, Acer GD245HQ 3Dvision.
    GTX590 Watercooled.
    G15, R.A.T.7, G27, Saitek X52, Logitech Z5500 surround
    Blah Blah Blah
    Avadirect Clevo x7200 SLI laptop.

Last edited by Eligy; 08-25-2011 at 12:53 PM.
      #15   Report Post  
    Old 08-25-2011, 12:45 PM

TACTICALS:

sometimes, you don't want to warp directly to a gate. There may be warp disruption bubbles or hostiles there. So, you need to warp off to a point at range. Any lowsec/nullsec space you travel through regularly should have tacs/tacticals in it. Tacs are a spot you bookmark in space within visible range of a gate but NOT within combat range and NOT aligned to a station or object. You can thus warp to your TAC without worrying about hitting a bubble or being attacked, and you can scope out the gate for hostiles, and then safely warp down to the gate. To make tacs....

Get in something fast and agile. warp to the gate you want a tac at. Then fly off in a random direction thats not in line with a station or other gate. when you are about 300km off, open PEOPLE AND PLACES in the neocom, select places tab, and click add bookmark. Name is 'TAC - gate name' for example 'TAC FWST-8' or 'FWST-8 TAC'.

any bookmarks you have in a system can be quickly accessed anytime by right clicking in space. Voila, they appear on the dropdown menu and you can warp to them.

SAFES. anytime you fly through a nullsec/lowsec system, as you are warping between gates, make a few bookmarks using the above method at random points in warp. Name them Safe 1, Safe 2 etc. Therefore if you are ever trapped in that system, you can warp to these using the same technique I described above. You will be 'off grid' ie far enough away from any celestial object (gate/station/belt/planet/moon) that you will be hard to find. I make about 6 or 7 for ever system I fly through which makes me harder to find if trapped there and being scanned/hunted down.

Core I7 930 @4.1
    6GB OCZ DDR3
    GTX590 Watercooled.
    Blah Blah Blah
      #16   Report Post  
    Old 08-26-2011, 02:19 PM

Nice intro guide mate. Just a couple of things to point out. After jumping your gate cloak last 60 seconds not 30. Seriously you have all the time in the world after a jump to get yourself sorted. More importantly the longer you leave it the more stressed anyone waiting for you to deacloak will get as they don't expect you to take too long about it. There are times where i've jumped into a pirate gaet camp and took the time to pour myself a shot of JD before decloaking and legging it back to the gate.

Second thing is missile range. Velocity x flight time is your max theoretical range, a range you will never actually reach. This is because, unlike guns, missiles produce and actual physical 3d object in the world and just like a ship or a really really fast station it takes a certain amount of time to accelerate to full speed. There is also the fact your target will be moving too increasing the amount of distance the missiles need to cover. As such it's always best to take about 10% range off the top if you want to be sure of a hit.

Also missiles are crap for getting on pod kills. Try using your warp disruptor or any other offensive module (target painter, tracking disruptor, ECM etc). You won't do any damage but you will get credit on the killmail.

"There is no such thing as an effective segment of totality" Bruce Lee - The only man with a Chuck Norris Killmail
      #17   Report Post  
    Old 08-26-2011, 03:41 PM

Thanks Cecil, good points there Yeah missiles suck, I didn't want to make things complicated but then, since they actually ARE complicated at times, it was worth pointing out. Never noticed the 60 seconds on a gate before, will need to bear that in mind.

Core I7 930 @4.1
    6GB OCZ DDR3
    GTX590 Watercooled.
    Blah Blah Blah
      #18   Report Post  
    Old 09-03-2011, 10:27 AM

I haven't forgotten the training roam guys, but thing at work are mental at the moment and in EVE i'm still moving my shit halfway across the galaxy. Keep ya posted.

Core I7 930 @4.1
    6GB OCZ DDR3
    GTX590 Watercooled.
    Blah Blah Blah
      #19   Report Post  
    Old 12-10-2011, 03:25 PM

Before and during operation form-up

These are some guidelines for fleets try to get used to doing them.

- Make sure you are focused. If too tired or real life distractions, you should probably skip the op.

- If you have a cov ops alt- mail the FC in advance offering your services.

- Make sure you have the ship needed ready for the operation. If you can fly multiple kinds of the asked for ships, have all ready. Do not try to ask or fit a ship while the op is forming.

- When joining fleet, make sure you are in the correct wing or squad. If you have leadership skills and are in the correct ship, take SC position.

- Ensure your ship is properly fitted. Use the forums or ask in corp or alliance.

- Make sure you have the right ammo, scripts, boosters, drones etc etc. Double check this. Do NOT use fleet to ask for these, use corp or alliance. Buy spares in advance of any op. Help people out.

- Do not join a full fleet TS channel and ask what is up, ask in corp or alliance or use your mails.

- Do not ask what the fleet is doing or if we are structure bashing. Always assume we're shooting structures.

- Keep fleet chat CLEAR, its actually used for a reason.

- Avoid talking on TS. The FC's are busy on CC and sometimes other TS on top of that trying to get things organized.

- Add all relevant people to your watch list.

- Ensure your broadcasts are set up properly for whatever your role is.

- If in a logistics, join logistics channel.

- When on a titan, keep @ range 2,000m. Do NOT alt-tab, you need to be quick on the bridge.

- Just turn all effects off and brackets unless you know for sure it will be a small fight.

- Remind yourself what makes a pro pilot and make sure you follow them to the best of your ability.

During the Operation

- Keep quiet and keep fleet chat clear at all times. Only report if you're dead if you're in a critical ship.

- Stay calm and focused to the best of your ability.

- If you have to go and are in an important ship, inform the FC of your departure in fleet chat.

- If the fleet is not fighting and you are tackled, say so in fleet OR in comms if the FC isn't busy commanding.

- During the fight do your best to follow the EXACT orders the FC is giving for your role. Even if its wrong then, just follow. In the absence of orders, take initiative.

- Only broadcast when:
    -you are being yellowboxed by the majority of the hostiles
    -you are taking considerable damage from hostiles not following primaries
    -fc or secondary fc tells you to broadcast
    - Do NOT broadcast when
    -you get hit by a bomb
    -you are taking minor damage from hostiles not following primaries or by smartbombs

- Keep an eye on fleet chat for "WWW" and other important orders. Make sure to re-add everyone to your WL if you disconnect

- Use the correct ammo, drones etc on the target. Familiarize yourself with your ship so you know this.

- If the order to align is given, constantly re-align. During a fight, it is easy to double-click in space and screw up your alignment. If order is to anchor, same applies.

- If shooting a structure stay in game, not alt-tabbed and keep yourself focused. Use corp or alliance to bullshit if you need to.

- After the fight and travel home, stay alert and do not start loosing comms or fleet discipline.

- Avoid raging if you die or get kicked from TS, that is best handled for after the op.

After the Operation

- Refuel and rearm your ship.

- Thank every logistics pilot, dictor, cov ops etc for showing up.

- Write down anything you learned for later.

Core I7 930 @4.1
    6GB OCZ DDR3
    GTX590 Watercooled.
    Blah Blah Blah
      #20   Report Post  
    Old 12-16-2011, 05:09 PM

The first post touched on timers such as aggression..

Here is the definitive word on timers. Note please that session change has reduced.

[url]http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Combat_Timers[/url]

Core I7 930 @4.1
    6GB OCZ DDR3
    GTX590 Watercooled.
    Blah Blah Blah