Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > Starcraft II

#111   Report Post  
    Old 09-10-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by leviethan View Post
    If you knock out a main base, and they run off to their expansion and you are hunting them, leave one unit at everywhere you search, incase he runs back to rebuild where you wont expect it, zerg, use a ling or something, protoss, observers work a charm, Terran, marines are good, they can stim pack run to where ever your going to put em as gaurds
    yep thats a good idea. Also in early, mid-game u can leave like worker or something cheap at expansions so you know when your opponent is expanding. When you see them expanding you can either attack them cos they just spent a lot of resources to expand so your army should be bigger, or try to deny the expansion or just expand yourself. There is nothing worse than you finding they expanded and you're still one basing it

http://steamcommunity.com/id/KidCold
      #112   Report Post  
    Old 09-10-2010, 09:32 PM

[QUOTE=quango;28682]That was a pretty freaky game to watch JackRabbit. You were clearly the more skilled player but how you recovered from that big viking push I'll never know. I liked the way you ran your marines up to his base purely to cause him some pain before you died and then all of a sudden you discovered you had a couple of lost and lonely vikings and banshees up there and remarkably from a disparate bunch of marines you suddenly had a full-on little combat brigade, heroically taking on Battlecruisers!

I'd say that game ended because of the health of his remaining BC. It was nearly dead and you had nothing left bar 2 clean vikings. If he had a full health BC he may have been able to clinch it at the last....In the end he didn't even say GG and it clearly was...

Here's a game I played last night with our own GodLikeSteve (Ordo)

I think you are being too kind, more luck than judgement on my part. I think I have my start off pretty good, but then I have no idea what to do. I barely know the maps. Last game I played I was crippled by two banshees because I fogot that the scanner reveals cloaked units!
    Doh.
      #113   Report Post  
    Old 09-10-2010, 09:53 PM

thanks leviethan for the games tonite even though you kicked my butt lol

Last edited by 4EVERDEAD; 09-10-2010 at 09:57 PM.
      #114   Report Post  
    Old 09-11-2010, 11:18 AM

hehe was a good night that (Even if i did an all nighter and got woke up 2 hours later >.<) we should do some more some time .

That goes for anyone else, send me a message in-game any time you want a match, if your online i will most likely ask if you want a game (I normally play with friends and they always ask for more people). The one time we got 5 or 6 people, that was a good night, me icecold, rope, someone else, and one me friends had a big FFA, good times.
      #115   Report Post  
    Old 09-11-2010, 12:14 PM

what tips did you have for me leviethan??
      #116   Report Post  
    Old 09-11-2010, 01:52 PM

You didnt do any harassment i dont think, this can help make/close a gap with economy, which helps slightly, remeber to expand once you able and feeling comfortable to, get a few detectors at your choke (My DTs there shred you up pretty easily). I said this before, but remember to put units at your enemy's expansion, if they start building, send in some units, take it out and get out quickly. Your BCs and vikings dropped into my base where good idea, but i had nearly drained that base dry, probs best check which one i have most workers/most minerals still up and knock it out as it will hurt a lot more, also think you landed in my main aswell at that point, shoulda hit my warp gates since they were what was making me pump out 20 odd stalkers every half minute, and you were rather slow getting the BCs, unless you had them sitting there a little while. Always remember, get a few structures of what you are teching, so teching BCs/vikings/air units, get a few extra starports etc, helps a ton.

Hope this helps a bit!
      #117   Report Post  
    Old 09-12-2010, 06:55 AM

Thanks for the other night too Leviethan I'd jusy like to say that your input was invaluable. I'm hoping that the next time we play your input will be er...valuable.

JK of course. No, after our little sesh I became a much better gamer and it's hard to put my finger on why. To be honest I was not in the best of moods and some of the things you were saying were really pissing me off. It was all good advice but I was becoming increasingly frustrated at my continuing ineptitude.

You snuck into my base with DT's and had a look around. "Here's a tip" you said " try to get some observers out" but of course I already had observers in the field...about 4 of them, all secretly spying the area above the Robo from which they had just spawned.
    "Make sure you get your expansions up and running" you said. But of course I'd already done that, I had a freshly built Nexus there - with about 20 probes sat next to it doing nothing. The advice I really needed to hear would've been. "Try not to be so fucking useless you spud thick idiot"

So then you showed me your build and that helped a lot. Later, I used it against the Hard AI and did just fine. I didn't copy it exactly because I have my own way of doing things but I saw several aspects of your build I was missing out on. Upgrades for one, base placement as well and the ease of the way you handled your Warpgates. I've changed my hotkey style because of this and immediately made a huge improvement. I watched the replay from our game and I realized that, for the early part I had nothing to worry about. During the opening if I had grown a pair and pushed out, I would've been able to do you some serious damage. I had much faster early units many more of them and I think if correctly microed I had a five minute window in which I could've won that game....maybe. I've always had a tendency to turtle in RTS but it really pays no dividends in Starcraft 2.

So now I have to work on being more aggressive in the opening, be better with my warp gates and remember the little things, like moving the observers or using the Void Rays I spend so much on making. Gonna rethink my usage of Immortals too
      #118   Report Post  
    Old 09-12-2010, 07:49 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by quango View Post
    I caught him out with a cheeky proxy and managed to hit him hard. He took off to his expansion and I just couldn't figure where he'd gone, I searched all over the map while he rebuilt.. He eventually got me with his Marine/Siege tank combo just when I was too far down south.

We play quite often and I've never beaten him yet but I should've done that time Doh! Well done Steve, I'll get you soon.
    Wow. That was by far very impressive. As I think I've said before, I probably would have caved at the initial offense.

I can't help but notice one thing, though: you both had economic pile-up. I was listening to a Diamond-league commentator, and he said that resources should always be kept down, that you should always be spending and spending, but both of you let the resources flow (more so for quango, his amassed to an impressive 4k minerals/2k gas).

Now, to the quote, as a direct challenge to the commentator's advice:
    "It is better to have and not need, than to need and not have." Would both of you think that's necessarily true for economy in matches?

PC Gamer Game Club
    Game of the Week - Amnesia: The Dark Descent
      #119   Report Post  
    Old 09-12-2010, 08:06 AM

I tell you, I find that while I'm sending my probe to make a pylon, sending an observer out and collecting the two groups of Stalkers I have and wondering where all my zealots have run off to....By the time I've done all that I've got 4,000 minerals built up.

I think there has to be a balance. It's frustrating to have 8 Warp gates and 8 units ready to go and not have the cash to get them all together. I dunno coz I'm a noob but I'm thinking with Protoss at least it's good to have a bit of a suplus
      #120   Report Post  
    Old 09-12-2010, 10:42 AM

EU eLZyBee 344
    Gold League

I've not had much chance to play but will be on more soon. Currently playing random, will probably move to Zerg when I have a better feel for the various match ups.

Tags

pcg starcraft, starcraft, starcraft 2