Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > Eve Online > General Discussion

#1   Report Post  
    Old 07-28-2010, 08:09 AM

Default Wormhole Raiding

There are tons of WHs so what would we need to get a fleet to raid some sites in WHs? How many ships, what types, fittings etc.

I scanned down a site once to take a look. I warped in got blasted with in 10% of my hull and just managed to escape. It looks hard.

Realm First! Zen Master Cook - 25th Sep 2012
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 07-28-2010, 08:44 AM

Well bimble old buddy old pal, it depends on what hole you entered (tee hee). Was it unknown? Dangerous unknown? Deadly unknown? Etc. Did you even notice? 
    Also, without knowing what type of ship you used it’s hard to tell.
    There are (I think) 6 classes of wormhole.
    1-3 are solo capable (#3 only if you know what you’re doing).= unkown
    4-5 are fleets = dangerous unknown
    5-6 is POS, Fleet, capital and maybe another fleet. = deadly unknown
    My terminology may (probably is) slightly out, but that’s the gist.
    As ever it depends on what you want to do- scan- combat, hack etc. (sleeper radar sites are RATHER profitable- but don’t hold to the normal spawn laws).
    Once I’ve got my funds up I’ll happily lead a small fleet into a class 2-3 to get some experience, I’ve got a great passive shield-tank myrm fit that can tank the sleeper alpha hits. Also a domi that just soaks up the damage. It’s FAR easier to explain on the fly, so to speak. But the tricks finding an empty hole.

For 1-2’s you can get away in a BC (with good fits)
    3’s you’ll need 2 BC’s with EXCELLENT fits, ideally one RR’r. But more likely a BS (excellent fit) or more likely a BS +1 other (RR’r).
    4’s you’ll need a small BS fleet
    5’s you’ll need a medium fleet with BS’s, EWAR, RR’rs etc. Ideally a spider RR network
    6’s. Well shit, you’re looking at a huge fleet, probably with capitals.
    Unfortunatley Wh space is currently HIGHLY occupied. The first layers are rammed with POS’, some of the second layers are rapidly filling up now too. Many corps have actually moved lock and stock into w-space. But, for me, w-space is more dangerous than null. As far as I’m aware there are NO podding penalties- so you’ll get podded out by a matter of course. There are gangs who just roam wh-s for gank opportunities and then there are the occupants who will in all likelyhood close the whole behind you then gank you at their leisure.

It is EXCEPTIONALLY dangerous... but fun as hell.
    I’d recommend holding off w-space operations until everyones skilled up, more practiced at pvp and can all fly BS’s well. By then I should have my proteus too, so things’ll be much easier.

-------
    An irreverent look at gaming, and film; www.TheFunTurret.com
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 07-28-2010, 12:03 PM

You can use this to search for the system name and get some stats on how busy it's been recently.

[url]http://evemaps.dotlan.net/[/url]
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 07-28-2010, 12:09 PM

I think it'll be a month or so at least before we're ready to venture into wormholes. Even for a class 1 you need a decent BC tank. And with Sleepers switching aggro, everyone realistically would need to have it. Any higher class wormhole than that and you have to start looking at shield transfers and remote armor reps. Because Sleepers do hit hard. If one or two people don't have the required skills we can manage, they can scout for us, probing out the next sites, and another could loot and salvage. Just bear in mind that Wormholes are designed for starting characters and you do need a minimum BC fit normally with remote reps and the ability to probe if you're going to head into them.

They're definitely something for the future though. The PVE combat is somewhat more fun than standard missions, and the rewards can be quite high.

If you want to try out Eve Online, check out this thread, and give the PC Gamer Corp a shout.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 07-28-2010, 03:56 PM

Any suggestions on some fleet PvE action we can get into? Would love to arrange an event.

Realm First! Zen Master Cook - 25th Sep 2012
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 07-28-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bimble View Post
    Any suggestions on some fleet PvE action we can get into? Would love to arrange an event.
    I think I am going to stick to Mining/industrial right now. I have only just activated a new trial and I do not have the skills yet! xD
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 07-28-2010, 04:46 PM

The trouble with group PvE at this point is that frigates and cruisers aren't all that useful, and I expect a lot of the corp are still using those. We could do some exploration with cruisers and battlecruisers, with a couple of guys salvaging and looting.

I find missioning tedious, but if anyone's running level 4s then letting new players tag along with a salvager is a good way to help them out.
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 07-29-2010, 09:27 AM

once people are skilled at BS level we can start popping into some w-holes.

-------
    An irreverent look at gaming, and film; www.TheFunTurret.com