Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > ArmA 2

#1   Report Post  
    Old 04-27-2011, 01:36 PM

Default Looking to get started

So AMRA II is on sale until Thursday and as someone who has always wanted to try ARMA, but has never really been willing to risk $40 on the purchase, given the generally split opinions about the game, $8 seems just about right to get it a whirl. I'll be picking ARMA II up without a doubt but Combined Ops is also on sale for $27. Would you all say that having ARMA without Operation Arrowhead is useless or would I be fine with just one. I understand that they are pretty much two separate games running on the same engine, but if I only get ARMA II will I be missing out on some sort of definitive experience?
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 04-27-2011, 03:46 PM

I was coming here to post pretty much this exact question. This is very time sensitive so I hope it gets looked at.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 04-27-2011, 05:06 PM
    Administrator

I've been talking about this on Twitter ([url]http://twitter.com/elahti[/url]) with folks.

If you're just experimenting, pick up the original Arma 2. Between free single-player missions (find them at [url]http://www.armaholic.com[/url]) and our dedicated A2 server (we have separate servers for A2 and Operation Arrowhead), there's more than enough to keep you occupied.

That being said, Arrowhead is the definitive version of the game. Its barren desert environment runs at a cleaner framerate, there's more and cooler equipment (thermal optics), and the single-player campaign is basically a response to the mistakes that the original A2 campaign made. Let me know if you have any more questions.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 04-27-2011, 05:25 PM

Hmmm. If Arrowhead really is the definitive version then I suppose I should spring for Combined Ops... I'm a bit tired of desert environments lately but I suppose the gear and whatnot makes it worth it. $27 is a bargain for both anyway and I'll have a job this summer to make my wallet feel less butthurt. How often does PCG play?

Thanks for your help btw, I've been posting all around the forums and nobody has given my question more than a glance until you showed up.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 04-27-2011, 08:04 PM

I would highly recommend buying Combined Operations, it allows you to play both vanilla ArmA2 and Operation Arrowhead seperately, or together as Combined Operations, and it also gives you access to the "lite" versions of the DLC content (minus missions) for British Armed Forces and PMC for free with lower quality models. The engine for OA/CO has been heavily updated and performance is a lot better in general, also most mods (such as Invasion 1944 *plug*) now require OA/CO as they take advantage of the extra features available.

There's a wealth of community made maps which you can expand the game further, you might want to check out some of the following links to see whats available:

[URL="http://armedassault.info/"]Armed Assault .info - news site[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.armaholic.com/"]Armaholic - news site/[/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.bistudio.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91"]Official BI Completed Mods forum[/URL]
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 04-27-2011, 10:56 PM

Well I took the dive and now own Combined Ops. Time to get the ball rolling. Gonna do some tutorial stuff now.
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 04-28-2011, 08:17 PM

Combined ops is a done deal. I expect battle bus wars please

Oh god. Battle bus jousting?

[url]http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/03/01/pc-gamers-terrifying-battle-bus-is-why-you-should-play-arma-2/[/url]
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 05-02-2011, 02:27 PM

Hey, I just registered, but have been a long time casual reader/lurker for years... I just picked up this game along with my brother. We'll try to get on the server as much as possible, and wouldn't mind having some regular people to play this with.

Cheers.

edit: Just realized I replied to the wrong topic, but I guess this one sort of works as well. My first post and I did it wrong.
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 05-04-2011, 04:01 AM

I've played about 10 hours of this since picking it up and I absolutely love it. Thought it certainly has a bit of a learning curve. I've gone through the tutorials but the stuff they teach you is more easily said than done when it comes to multiplayer. Can you all recommend a good newby crash course? I've been playing on the TAW.net New York server a fair amount because the lag seems reasonable and the people are nice but I'm still struggling to figure out who is in my squad and how best to communicate with them. Any help/advice you have to offer would be much appreciated. If anyone would be willing to add me to Steam and give me a crash course themselves I'd be interested. Thanks!
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 05-04-2011, 09:22 AM

Send a message via AIM to sileter Send a message via MSN to sileter Send a message via Skype™ to sileter

those in your squad tend to have a green diamond around them like in the single player