Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > Eve Online > General Discussion

#21   Report Post  
    Old 07-26-2010, 10:09 PM

There is a US and UK magazine so readers of either are welcome. There is a requirement to be a member of these forums to become a corp member so as long as people sign up they can join.

There is a mining event for Thursday. SIGN UP NOW!!!

Realm First! Zen Master Cook - 25th Sep 2012
      #22   Report Post  
    Old 07-27-2010, 12:12 AM

I guess, rather than trying to restrict it to mag readers/forum members only (seeing as theres no way to tell if they are or not), we'll just have to do a stringent interview process, like EUNI and the other big corps do. Interview them thoroughly, and spies are more likely to slip up. And if we require them to provide their limited API key, we can check for other accounts, and any abnormalities. Some corps also require a screenshot of their login screen, showing their characters, but that isn'[t much use imo.

I used to be a recruitment officer for Eve University, who have a pretty thorough screening process, so I have some experience in this department. Not that it matters much yet anyway, we're still too small to attract spies, though thieves are always a danger.
      #23   Report Post  
    Old 07-27-2010, 08:19 AM

best thing to do is just restrict access of the hanger to a select through (removing bits)- then anyone who requires something just requests it on the forum (set up a page)- and then it gets contracted to them. maybe?

as for spies- yeah we're too small to worry about now- but it will probably happen. just make sure that no one person has the power to totally fuck us in the corp, and we'll be fine.

-------
    An irreverent look at gaming, and film; www.TheFunTurret.com
      #24   Report Post  
    Old 07-27-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spatula View Post
    best thing to do is just restrict access of the hanger to a select through (removing bits)- then anyone who requires something just requests it on the forum (set up a page)- and then it gets contracted to them. maybe?

as for spies- yeah we're too small to worry about now- but it will probably happen. just make sure that no one person has the power to totally fuck us in the corp, and we'll be fine.
    Yeah. EUNI provide isk for skillbooks, and a big hangar with a lot of stuff in it for students to use, but they only allow access to members who've been in the corp for at least a fortnight. They have a mailing list where people who want access post requesting it, and someone checks they're allowed, then grants it. Maybe we could do something similar?

EDIT: they have different hangars for people with different titles too. People with the freshman title (which requires you to have been a member for a fortnight) are allowed access to the freshman hangar, which has basic T1 frigate mods and ammo, then they have student and graduate hangars, with increasing requirements for access, but with bigger and more valuable stuff in them.
      #25   Report Post  
    Old 07-27-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by The_Terminator View Post
    Yeah. EUNI provide isk for skillbooks, and a big hangar with a lot of stuff in it for students to use, but they only allow access to members who've been in the corp for at least a fortnight. They have a mailing list where people who want access post requesting it, and someone checks they're allowed, then grants it. Maybe we could do something similar?

EDIT: they have different hangars for people with different titles too. People with the freshman title (which requires you to have been a member for a fortnight) are allowed access to the freshman hangar, which has basic T1 frigate mods and ammo, then they have student and graduate hangars, with increasing requirements for access, but with bigger and more valuable stuff in them.
    I will talk to you guys about it in-game but we also need an effective taxing system. Members do need to contribute to the corporation for the so-called 'greater good' so you can fund refinement and equipment aswell as vital training skillbooks. For example when we move into low sec mining we will need collateral money to reimburse any modules lost to pirates etc.
      #26   Report Post  
    Old 07-27-2010, 05:15 PM

Why would anyone mine in low-sec? The ores are worth the same as High-Sec, but pirates.

If you want to try out Eve Online, check out this thread, and give the PC Gamer Corp a shout.
      #27   Report Post  
    Old 07-27-2010, 05:27 PM

Yeah, low sec is a waste of time for anything except PvP and exploration.

Current short term goal needs to be helping the new players get into the game. Once we have a decent base of competent, self sufficient players we can start looking at W-space or 0.0. Providing corp ships and equipment is nice, but we need players who can fund themselves if we want to build up that kind of infrastructure.
      #28   Report Post  
    Old 07-27-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buceph View Post
    Why would anyone mine in low-sec? The ores are worth the same as High-Sec, but pirates.
    I meant nullsec

You do need sustainability I guess, I am fairly new to the game aswell.
      #29   Report Post  
    Old 07-27-2010, 07:31 PM

Also, there is an automatic corp tax system in place. Corp members currently have to pay 2.5% tax on bounties, mission rewards, and possibly one or two other things I forget. IMO, 2.5% is too low - the NPC corps have a tax rate of 10%, which seems to be about average. Since we want to maintain a fairly low tax rate, while still making a decent income, I think it should be raised to somewhere between 5-10%.

Once we have a larger number of more experienced members, we'll get more income from taxes, so increasing our membership should be a priority for now, and making sure our members are as self-sufficient as possible is also important, as Kelron says.
      #30   Report Post  
    Old 07-27-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by The_Terminator View Post
    Also, there is an automatic corp tax system in place. Corp members currently have to pay 2.5% tax on bounties, mission rewards, and possibly one or two other things I forget. IMO, 2.5% is too low - the NPC corps have a tax rate of 10%, which seems to be about average. Since we want to maintain a fairly low tax rate, while still making a decent income, I think it should be raised to somewhere between 5-10%.

Once we have a larger number of more experienced members, we'll get more income from taxes, so increasing our membership should be a priority for now, and making sure our members are as self-sufficient as possible is also important, as Kelron says.
    This... What we need to do is 'breed' members that can [when I say breed i mean encourage and teach] act and think independently in situations, this is vital for battle. But we also need a command structure. My experience with lots of players is that you often have a few people who like to go off on their own and some others who like to stick in a group. Directing the attention as a collective then is quite difficult, there needs to be common goals...