Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > Eve Online > General Discussion

#11   Report Post  
    Old 07-26-2010, 08:18 PM
    Grand Inquisitor

Send a message via Skype™ to SAeN

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ocassus View Post
    One thing to bear in mind somethingawful.com requires money for a subscription, perhaps you could base it off a provable subscription to PCgamer? I am not sure... But you need to have a strict vetting process that prevents spies and such like from getting in, but allows a good influx of players join so that you can build numbers.
    You have to remember, many Pcg readers don't take out a subscription (The fools!!) and limiting the corp to those that have a sub would only hurt us. As soon as the corp gets a mention in the mag though, I think we can expect a few new members.

Last edited by SAeN; 07-26-2010 at 08:21 PM. Reason: typo
      #12   Report Post  
    Old 07-26-2010, 09:24 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SAeN View Post
    You have to remember, many Pcg readers don't take out a subscription (The fools!!) and limiting the corp to those that have a sub would only hurt us. As soon as the corp gets a mention in the mag though, I think we can expect a few new members.
    But as I say, from experience you need to have a vetting process. Because even in WoW, people played the long term game and tried to take advantage of our guild system and steal resources from us, the damage they could do to a corp in EvE is much greater...
      #13   Report Post  
    Old 07-26-2010, 09:31 PM

We can't afford to be restrictive while we're starting up. We can't be a PC Gamer corp if we're going to turn readers away in case they're spies. Once we have something worth stealing or spying on us for, we can at least get the API keys from potential recruits to check for alts, but spies are something we'll have to deal with if we want to be successful on a large scale.

Even with SA and their paid subscriptions, I'm sure there's members spying for other alliances. No way around it.
      #14   Report Post  
    Old 07-26-2010, 09:34 PM

Aye, thats absolutely true. PCG is a business after all.
      #15   Report Post  
    Old 07-26-2010, 09:39 PM

Some kind of question that only someone who reads PCG would know, perhaps? For example, the Rock Paper Shotgun corp ask all new members who it is that writes all the Eve articles on RPS, because any regular reader would know the answer. Can anyone think of anything like that for PCG, perhaps?

Maybe just asking new recruits what number the latest issue is? Someone who's read it would at least have a general idea, but it would be relatively tough to find out otherwise.
      #16   Report Post  
    Old 07-26-2010, 09:45 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by The_Terminator View Post
    Some kind of question that only someone who reads PCG would know, perhaps? For example, the Rock Paper Shotgun corp ask all new members who it is that writes all the Eve articles on RPS, because any regular reader would know the answer. Can anyone think of anything like that for PCG, perhaps?

Maybe just asking new recruits what number the latest issue is? Someone who's read it would at least have a general idea, but it would be relatively tough to find out otherwise.
    EvE has a built in web browser, it really wouldn't take a few minutes to simply look at what the current issue is
      #17   Report Post  
    Old 07-26-2010, 09:51 PM
    Grand Inquisitor

Send a message via Skype™ to SAeN

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ocassus View Post
    EvE has a built in web browser, it really wouldn't take a few minutes to simply look at what the current issue is
    What was the subject of Tims most recent editorial?
      #18   Report Post  
    Old 07-26-2010, 09:57 PM

Thats not a bad one....

Maybe an interview regarding random Issues?

I didn't get this months issue because I was on Holiday. So perhaps offering five questions, and then if they get 3-5 right?
    Perhaps they need to have X amount of issues within Y amount of time?
      #19   Report Post  
    Old 07-26-2010, 10:00 PM

I don't think it should be limited to just mag readers. I haven't got the mag in ages. And when I went to get it a few weeks ago they only stocked PC Zone.

Also I think they're trying to attract people to the website as well, not just the magazine. So there will be people who read the site and don't buy the magazine. All of that is going to be part of the marketing effort form PCG.

Plus when we grow we're probably going to attract US TZ people, and they won't know anything about the UK mag.

And then there's a load of the old crowd. There are people going back 5+ years on these forums, back to the old PCGF, then the older PCGF, then all the way back to the Delphi forums. There's no guarantee they buy the magazine, but they're just as much a part of the forums as anyone else.

All in all, I think the community is bigger than just the magazines. There's a couple of different aspects to it.

If you want to try out Eve Online, check out this thread, and give the PC Gamer Corp a shout.

Last edited by Buceph; 07-26-2010 at 10:02 PM.
      #20   Report Post  
    Old 07-26-2010, 10:03 PM

Well when i get back into it I will gladly start running mining trips [I am not really a good rig guy] and at the same time performing lots of admin and accounting. [Love all that].

We need players committed to further the corporation, IE pooling resources instead of selling them off and using those resources to generate more resources for the corp etc etc