Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > Eve Online > General Discussion

#1   Report Post  
    Old 07-26-2010, 02:35 PM

Cool Gallente Titan - Erebus

I was just messing with EveMon to find out how long before I can fly a Titan; it's 175 days or 166 days with some more learning skills. That was not the surprise it was the cost of the skill book for Titans, it is 5.5 Billion and before that you need 400 Million for the skill book for Capital Ship. Now that is a lot of ISK!

Realm First! Zen Master Cook - 25th Sep 2012
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 07-26-2010, 02:36 PM

someone in local claimed they'd scanned down a radar site with that very skill book about a month ago. not sure i believed them, but it's a hell of a nice thought....

-------
    An irreverent look at gaming, and film; www.TheFunTurret.com
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 07-26-2010, 03:22 PM

These ships are designed to be built by alliances though aren't they? If Standalone corporations managed to have the funds to fund a titan then they would be everywhere.

PCG needs to form an Alliance with someone and take over the galaxy
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 07-26-2010, 04:29 PM

Uh, sure. Then you need the 60+ billion to buy it from someone with the production facilities. Then you need something to use it for.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 07-26-2010, 04:35 PM

What's the kind of size that alliances/corps get to? If the WoW guild is anything to go by, and past experience of what a mention in the magazine/podcast can do for a PCG community's population.

There's nothing wrong with thinking big and it's good not to dismiss things out of hand right away. You may be surprised how large the corp could become. Admittedly I'm not an expert on EVE but I know one thing - put it in the mag and they shall come in their droves.
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 07-26-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kelron View Post
    Uh, sure. Then you need the 60+ billion to buy it from someone with the production facilities. Then you need something to use it for.
    You're forgetting the two easymode options.
    1. Win one from one of the lovely lottories on the EVE Forums
    Or, my personal favourite
    2. Steal someone elses >
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 07-26-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Donbar View Post
    What's the kind of size that alliances/corps get to? If the WoW guild is anything to go by, and past experience of what a mention in the magazine/podcast can do for a PCG community's population.

There's nothing wrong with thinking big and it's good not to dismiss things out of hand right away. You may be surprised how large the corp could become. Admittedly I'm not an expert on EVE but I know one thing - put it in the mag and they shall come in their droves.
    Indeed, my old WoW guild [which I ran] was a good 800 members strong. We were filthy rich and could actually control the servers economy through the guild and controlling the trade of our players and bringing up or down the value of items. I will gladly help with this as I am very experienced at directing people, directing efforts and just general planning and logistics.

Perhaps you guys should engage with other corp, and begin to build/fund the production of a small fleet to make your precense known in nullsec. You could perhaps find an ally and aid them against another corp. Establish links with others and you could end up creating an Alliance as the holding company. The combined revenue through tax and mining ops will easily allow for the purchase of capital ships, and even titans given enough effort.
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 07-26-2010, 06:13 PM

Well, the largest single corporation is Eve University, who have 1500 members. That's a big step up from the next largest though, which is nowhere near as big.

Goonswarm are the largest alliance, and I think they had nearly 4000 members at one point, though after the problems they had when one of the alliance directors turned traitor and collapsed the entire alliance, I imagine some of their member corps would have moved on. The reformed GS alliance is still well over 3000 members though.

I think BoB were bigger still, back in their heyday, before they were destroyed.

Anyway, GoonFleet (or whatever the new Goon corp is called), who are the main corp in the GoonSwarm alliance, works on a similar model to PCG - only members of the Something Awful forums (who have been active for at least 3 months, and didn't just join in order to gain access to the corp) are allowed to join - and that corp alone is a good 800 members or so. The other corps are non-goons, but there are still pretty strict entry criteria to join the alliance, IIRC.

So, you never know - one day in the distant future, we may be among the most influential groups in Eve, holding a large area of space, and commanding several Titans. It will take a loooong time though.
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 07-26-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by The_Terminator View Post
    Well, the largest single corporation is Eve University, who have 1500 members. That's a big step up from the next largest though, which is nowhere near as big.

Goonswarm are the largest alliance, and I think they had nearly 4000 members at one point, though after the problems they had when one of the alliance directors turned traitor and collapsed the entire alliance, I imagine some of their member corps would have moved on. The reformed GS alliance is still well over 3000 members though.

I think BoB were bigger still, back in their heyday, before they were destroyed.

Anyway, GoonFleet (or whatever the new Goon corp is called), who are the main corp in the GoonSwarm alliance, works on a similar model to PCG - only members of the Something Awful forums (who have been active for at least 3 months, and didn't just join in order to gain access to the corp) are allowed to join - and that corp alone is a good 800 members or so. The other corps are non-goons, but there are still pretty strict entry criteria to join the alliance, IIRC.

So, you never know - one day in the distant future, we may be among the most influential groups in Eve, holding a large area of space, and commanding several Titans. It will take a loooong time though.
    Well as I say, I would be happy to deal with the internal affairs of the guild. EvE is a great game, but the thing that has always interested me is the politics, the espionage and such like. My mind is a tactical one.

[I am incidentally part of somethingawful and did watch the comments fly when Kartoon let loose xD. I believe the biggest alliance is IT alliance though].
    One thing to bear in mind somethingawful.com requires money for a subscription, perhaps you could base it off a provable subscription to PCgamer? I am not sure... But you need to have a strict vetting process that prevents spies and such like from getting in, but allows a good influx of players join so that you can build numbers. Goonswarms main tactic was to use noob ships to literally 'swarm' the enemy, and then use elite fighters and titans and things to blast away their enemies in the confusion.Sheer size is the goons strength. The best way to defeat such a tactic, is through use of an expendable decoy to split them up.
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 07-26-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ocassus View Post
    Well as I say, I would be happy to deal with the internal affairs of the guild. EvE is a great game, but the thing that has always interested me is the politics, the espionage and such like. My mind is a tactical one.

[I am incidentally part of somethingawful and did watch the comments fly when Kartoon let loose xD. I believe the gayest alliance is IT alliance though].
    Fixed for you.

/me is totally not in one of the NC alliances...