Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer

#11   Report Post  
    Old 01-13-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Belimawr View Post
    see this where peoples understanding of licensing falls down, Bioware is using a IP created by Lucas, so in order to use it they need a licence issued by Lucas, due to this everything they do must be passed by Lucas due to them needing to keep within the limits of the IP.

so while Bioware could refuse to let Lucas make a change, it would lead to one of two possible outcomes, either the licence would be revoked forcing bioware to close down the game and forcing them to stop selling it, the second option is Lucas just makes Biowares life hell until Bioware implements the change Lucas wants as Lucas has to sign off on all patches and content changes before Bioware can implement anything.

so yes Bioware could save face and refuse a change forced in by Lucas but it would most likely cost them the licence and cause the game to die on the spot. the simple way to put it as long as a game firm is using a licence from another firm the firm handing out the licence holds all the power over what happens. this is why nearly every movie based game is terrible.
    Thanks for the education.
      #12   Report Post  
    Old 01-14-2011, 01:59 PM

I'm also very very interested in this game and would love to pay along side fellow PCG readers (because we rock)!

Somebody set this up (not me, I'm lazy as hell)!
      #13   Report Post  
    Old 01-18-2011, 01:01 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chupacabra- View Post
    I'm also very very interested in this game and would love to pay along side fellow PCG readers (because we rock)!

Somebody set this up (not me, I'm lazy as hell)!
    Dont we need official endorsement from PCG to do it here?
      #14   Report Post  
    Old 01-18-2011, 01:18 AM

Brabus, speaking from experience here (From setting up PCG MMO communties) it will be best to leave this closer to the release date.

If TOR is really successful then one of the staff members might spearheard the guild, if they have the time ofc. If they don't then anyone is more than welcome to set one up. It is however considered poltie to get in contact with the PCG staff before hand to dicuss anything that might be due to special circumstances regarding the specific MMO.

It helps if you have the time to dedicate and the experience of managing communites. But always be prepared to either give leadership to someone else if you become in-active or a staff member wants to take the reigns. I have seen many guilds fall due to the leader going inactive for long periods of time.

Also make sure that you acutally want to do this. Some MMO's are very admin heavy on leadership (EVE is a big one) and can sometimes make the MMO feel more like a job. At this point you want to ask yourself if your actually enjoying it.

As echoced in this thread, we all have mixed feelings with TOR. As much as I would love to have sexual intercourse with Bioware's writing team, Lucas Arts might cripple the game from day one.

For now just wait till it is released and play it for a week or two, you might not even like it. If its great and a lot of readers are delving in, Im sure a community will be set up in no time =D

i7 2600k 4.6Ghz (Corsair H80 Water Cooling)
    8GB Corsair Vengance 1600Mhz
    Asus P8Z68 V - PRO Motherboard
    MSI GTX 580 Lightning (Factory Overclocked)
    LG 22x DVDRW Generic
    1TB Western Digital 7200RPM 64Mb Cache
    60GB Adata SSD (OS)
    850W Corsair Enthusiast PSU
    Bit Fenix Colossus Case
    Dell 23" LED IPS Monitor
    Razer Black Widow Ultimate / Razer Naga / Razer Megalodon

Add me on Steam

Check out my new Youtube Channel for SC2 Casts and game playthroughs!
      #15   Report Post  
    Old 01-18-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archernick View Post
    Brabus, speaking from experience here (From setting up PCG MMO communties) it will be best to leave this closer to the release date.

If TOR is really successful then one of the staff members might spearheard the guild, if they have the time ofc. If they don't then anyone is more than welcome to set one up. It is however considered poltie to get in contact with the PCG staff before hand to dicuss anything that might be due to special circumstances regarding the specific MMO.

It helps if you have the time to dedicate and the experience of managing communites. But always be prepared to either give leadership to someone else if you become in-active or a staff member wants to take the reigns. I have seen many guilds fall due to the leader going inactive for long periods of time.

Also make sure that you acutally want to do this. Some MMO's are very admin heavy on leadership (EVE is a big one) and can sometimes make the MMO feel more like a job. At this point you want to ask yourself if your actually enjoying it.

As echoced in this thread, we all have mixed feelings with TOR. As much as I would love to have sexual intercourse with Bioware's writing team, Lucas Arts might cripple the game from day one.

For now just wait till it is released and play it for a week or two, you might not even like it. If its great and a lot of readers are delving in, Im sure a community will be set up in no time =D
    How wonderfully informative. Thanks for taking the time out, but i feel i should say, i had no intention of starting this now But i am i 'plan-aheadderer'...yes.. but thanks again for spelling it out to me.
      #16   Report Post  
    Old 02-01-2011, 08:32 PM

Should finally get a release date in about 30mins (Pray)
      #17   Report Post  
    Old 02-01-2011, 09:22 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brabus View Post
    Should finally get a release date in about 30mins (Pray)

FY 2012, so... its sometime in 2011. Which..is....nice.
      #18   Report Post  
    Old 02-07-2011, 01:36 PM

my money is on September, seems the right date
    think they're balancing everything now and adding final polish
    anyway, I can wait, been waiting for it since the first rumours of a kotor mmo popped up
      #19   Report Post  
    Old 02-08-2011, 11:39 AM

In Feb Issue UK page 80. The guys wrote 'and we will definitley be pushing into space as soon as The Old Republic Hits.'

Yay. All my hard work paid off..ahem....
      #20   Report Post  
    Old 03-06-2011, 11:45 AM

Excellent video of the bounty hunter released on Friday. Go check it out, i think it gives the best picture of what gameplay will be like.

[url]http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20110304[/url]