Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > World of Warcraft Guild (EU) > PvP: The Battlegroup

Closed Thread

#11   Report Post  
    Old 01-25-2011, 12:35 PM

You guys should check out this blog: WoW.com - Bloodsport

Lots of nice info on how to destruct other classes. Plus, the QQ in the comments section is always banter.
      #12   Report Post  
    Old 01-25-2011, 02:59 PM

Send a message via MSN to squirt24 Send a message via Skype™ to squirt24

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Belara View Post
    But as far as I know, Counterspell has one of the longest school lockouts and holy paladins can't fake cast, because all their spells are in the same school, no? Which would make mages fairly dangerous to them.
    I made this thread to continue the discussion, as you told me to take it out of guild chat. Simple. I will admit, I was out of order with the comment, but I wont edit it.

Anyway back to Belara's comment. Counterspell is deadly if lined up with other classes burst dps, it stops you casting for a considerable amount of time and that could be the time you NEED to heal.

Plus Cambrinus, I did not intend to cause you offense with this, I solely meant to continue the convo. I do intend to start attending your PvP events, but RL is troublesome atm.

Last edited by squirt24; 01-25-2011 at 03:50 PM.
      #13   Report Post  
    Old 01-25-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cambrinus View Post
    We need to get less experienced people built up with both experience and gear. The key is to make them as relaxed as possible so novices don't get put off.
    Well really, me, and most people i know had it as baptisim by fire, and just stuck with, if your saying we can only do rated BGs once theres been enough PvP events to gear and get people experiance, we are looking at this the complete wrong way.
      #14   Report Post  
    Old 01-25-2011, 04:34 PM

I would like to get into PvP; I've only ever really tried BGs on my Priest (and never in full PvP gear), and what normally happens is I heal quite a lot, and then the Alliance rogues spot me healing a lot, so they kill me lots. I tend to spend the whole session getting frustrated that I can't achieve anything, and I don't really know what's going on most of the time.

That said, my Paladin Alt is now approaching 85, and as I have no intention of raiding with him (he's my herb and ore farmer), it might be fun to try PvPing instead. I quite like the idea of smashing my mace over the heads of some Worgen emokids.

I'm coming from over 3 years of progression raiding, where you never take anyone who doesn't know what's coming, and exactly what's expected of them. It's an approach that leads to few surprises, I must admit. I'll do some reading around, of course, but an organised introduction to proper PvP so that I can get some confidence would be most welcome. As the best PvP Retadin around, I shall look to Cambrinus to teach me how to swing the light.
      #15   Report Post  
    Old 01-25-2011, 04:46 PM

Yeah, I enjoy PvP quite a bit too, and it's a lot more fun with a guild group, but it is very intimidating starting out. I wanted to do more in Wrath, but, unlike with raid gearing, especially towards the end of the expansion cycle, it felt like you'd always be at a disadvantage and there was little point - every time I tried PvP, I'd fail laughably. I'm only really doing it more now because I'm in on the ground floor, so to speak.

People do progress from soloing and questing to raiding quite easily - while it's different, and difficult, it seems more like a logical progression. PvP is a different game altogether, and you're not likely to make to transition easily unless you've already done similar competitive online games. The atmosphere is frequently hostile and contemptuous, and unlike a raid, you can't leave and join another guild if you don't like the people you're playing with. If you want to get into pvp, you're pretty much stuck with bastards screaming at you from the moment you step into a bg or Tol Barad. And those are the people on your OWN side. Expecting people who aren't used to that sort of environment to simply grin and bear it in, on top of getting creamed by opponents while they gear up, isn't realistic and won't lead to a high retention rate. That's why the addition of wargames is so great, and why Cambrinus is exactly right in what he says. People who are willing to go through a baptism of fire and come out the other end enthusiastic pvpers are very much in the minority.

While Camb has put events up before, I generally haven't been able to attend cos I do my shopping on Saturday mornings/afternoons. But the wargame nights are great fun, I'm eager to get involved, and get other new people involved, and at the beginning of an expansion is the best time to do it.
      #16   Report Post  
    Old 01-25-2011, 05:15 PM

Send a message via MSN to squirt24 Send a message via Skype™ to squirt24

If I can get some help from the officers, Id be happy to help people to get gear together, but it will take some solo input aswell.

Id also be happy to organise some Rated BG's. Im sure there will be some people out there willing to heal with me and once healers are sorted and geared it 'should' get easier.

Plus, id like to apologise for being a dick last night. Sorry.
      #17   Report Post  
    Old 01-25-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Belara View Post
    PvP is a different game altogether, and you're not likely to make to transition easily unless you've already done similar competitive online games. The atmosphere is frequently hostile and contemptuous, and unlike a raid, you can't leave and join another guild if you don't like the people you're playing with. If you want to get into pvp, you're pretty much stuck with bastards screaming at you from the moment you step into a bg or Tol Barad. And those are the people on your OWN side. Expecting people who aren't used to that sort of environment to simply grin and bear it in, on top of getting creamed by opponents while they gear up, isn't realistic and won't lead to a high retention rate. That's why the addition of wargames is so great, and why Cambrinus is exactly right in what he says. People who are willing to go through a baptism of fire and come out the other end enthusiastic pvpers are very much in the minority.
    Yes PvP is a differant game, it isnt the same thing week after week, of same bosses, untill the next new major content patch bringing new things in. But this is my first MMO, so im 'new' to the scene you might say if i put it into the same context as what i think your saying. And the only time your stuck with the same assholes, is if your in the same guild or server, i rarely see the same people in a bg twice, unless i que for a bg right after i came out of one.

As to say Batisim of fire is the way the minority of players got into PvP, is silly, i'd say 80% of the horde side on my old server (80% > 20% so thats not a a minority) Tried the same method, and several of the people i have contact with on that server, have gladiator titles, and are the kind of people in pvp who dont rely on a full pvp set to do the job (Like me).
    Also you wont get creamed by people 24/7 if you have at least a few braincells, one or two to avoid large packs, some to stay in groups, some to communicate properly with your team (Even if they're dicks, at least someone will listen), and a couple braincells just to be able to think on your toes and be sharp with what you do, and to do it properly and efficiently.

Dont get me wrong though i see where you are coming from, but i cannot agree with the facts i have.
      #18   Report Post  
    Old 01-25-2011, 05:49 PM

Of the top 100 ranked pvp players in the world all the paladins are holy bar one.
      #19   Report Post  
    Old 01-25-2011, 06:11 PM

Last i checked, we arnt in the top 100 of anything, no one in this guild is?

Or maybe its just coincidence?
      #20   Report Post  
    Old 01-25-2011, 06:24 PM

@leviathan
    Quote:
    Well really, me, and most people i know had it as baptisim by fire, and just stuck with, if your saying we can only do rated BGs once theres been enough PvP events to gear and get people experiance, we are looking at this the complete wrong way.
    You may be right. If yourself and others turn up for a PvP event and we have enoguh to make a team for a rated BG I have no problem with getting stuck in. Just keep in mind not all players are like you and are ever going to be as good at PvP as you. Some need encouragement to get started.

@squirt24
    Quote:
    Id also be happy to organise some Rated BG's. Im sure there will be some people out there willing to heal with me and once healers are sorted and geared it 'should' get easier.
    My PvP is limited to having done it alot with a ret pally, being enthusiastic but of mediocre skill and knowledge. Your offering to help get a dedicated team of PvP healers together would be a massive boost.

Your apologies are also appreciated but at least you have triggered a substantial PvP discussion in these forums the like of which I haven't seen for a long time.
    Closed Thread