Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > World of Warcraft Guild (EU) > Class Discussion

Closed Thread

#1   Report Post  
    Old 01-02-2011, 04:19 PM

Default Healers - are you ready for raiding?

Hai Guys,

The biggest changes to raiding in Cata have landed on the shoulders of healers. Healing a raid is now a rather different beast to WotLK. It is arguably more difficult, but also more enjoyable imho.

This post is based on reading around Elitist Jerks, plus my own experience from 3 weeks of raid healing. It is not definitive, but it is intended to be helpful.

So, are you ready for raiding?

Gear
    You'll want the best gear possible before you try healing in raids. This means 346 blues in the vast majority of slots, with a couple of rep or crafted epics to boost your healing a bit. Top-level and appropriate gems in every slot, including the new int + max mana meta. Enchants on every piece should be mandatory.

Some of the raid encounters are very tight for healers; I literally finish some fights with enough mana for one final cast, having used every cooldown available. Given these circumstances, every single extra stat you can get could be raid-saving, and so there's no excuse for skimping on enchants. You may think it's not worth enchanting your blue weapon, but as a proportion of your healing potential, it's actually more important to enchant blue gear than epics. We have several max-level enchanters in the guild.

Stats
    Holy Paladins and Disco Priests should be aiming for 6k spellpower, with 2500 combat regen as a rough guideline. Holy Priests and Druids should have 6k SP and 3000+ combat regen. Shamen seem less clear about their stats, but I'd say 6k SP is a good guideline.

All healers currently favour spirit over most other stats. Mastery varies in value; for Priests it's pretty good, less so for Paladins and Shamen. Almost all healers have been reforging crit and haste for spirit where possible. Many of the raid fights are quite long, and many of them have periods or low or no damage where you can regen quite a lot.

Consumables
    Flask of Flowing Water (Spirit) or Flask of the Draconic Mind (int) are obviously mandatory. Guild alchemists can make them pretty cheaply. The new Mana potions provide 10k mana, which can easily save a raid, and so you should stock up on these, too. The best food gives 90 stam and either int or spirit; again, take several stacks.

Addons
    Anyone who tells you that you can heal to your full potential without any addons is wrong. Simply put, a healing addon like Healbot or Vuhdo (with mouseover macros) means that you can select your target, select your spell and cast it faster than would otherwise be possible. Reducing the time between deciding to heal and the heal landing is self-evidently a good thing. Get an addon, configure it to your liking and get used to using it. If you have to target someone to heal them, you're not healing as well as you could, or should, be.

A boss mod is also vital. Good healers can react quickly to damage. Great healers anticipate the damage before it lands. The combination of a healing addon and a boss mod, as well as good knowledge of each encounter, can help you move from a decent healer to a great one.

Tactics
    It's hard for me to tell everyone else how to heal. The basic change in Cata is that your spells cost more and heal for less. Therefore, every cast has to matter. Learning the encounters will mean you know when the damage spikes come, and when there are regen opportunities. Try to cast your most efficient spells as standard, but remember you have your quick ones if people are about to die. Foremost, remember that (unlike a 5-man heroic) you're working as a team, so make sure you know who you're healing with.
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 01-02-2011, 08:03 PM

nice post darieth as usual, but the plural of shaman is not shamen =D
    [url]http://www.wowwiki.com/Spelling_of_shaman[/url], i looked it up as i was intrigued, u can all lol at my pettyness.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 01-05-2011, 02:11 PM

I cannot believe that a hunter thread has had 7 replies, and a healer thread has had 1. I am ashamed.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 01-06-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Darieth View Post
    I cannot believe that a hunter thread has had 7 replies, and a healer thread has had 1. I am ashamed.
    Maybe hunters need more help
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 01-06-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
    With such clear cut advice, why say more?!

PCG Game Club
    Steam

Also on Origin
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 01-07-2011, 11:42 AM

Hey,

Me and Dar had a quick chat last night regarding MT Healing as Holy Spec Priest.
    I find using the main heal chakra state turns me into a MT healer especially with the increased crit and Holy Word spell, however I can see the need for Holy Speccers to be out and out raid healers, but dosent the change in Priest stats and skills (Chakra etc) help a Priest be an all rounder a bit more?

As a side note, regarding Mods. I find that I now need a casting bar mod, which shows (Alert if possible) when certain spells are off cooldown, I find myself forgetting all about CoH as I never used it whilst levelling 80-85 as Holy (Was a Disco b4) and avoided it due to the mana cost, any ideas?

Wyrmy
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 01-07-2011, 12:06 PM

Holy Priests are the most versatile healers, and can certainly heal a tank. Our single-target capability is still lower than Paladins, but on a par with Druids and Shammies. Provided that you keep renew ticking (Heal Chakra does this) and inspiration up, you can heal a tank.

HOWEVER, your healing combo is Shammy-Disco Priest-Holy Priest. Given that shield-spamming is now a big no-no and Grace has changed, Disco Priests have lost some of their potential as raid healers. With the amount of AoE damage and the power of Holy AoE healing, I think it is illogical to have a holy priest on a tank and a disco priest on the raid.

I have the luxury of both specs, and I switch between them depending on the fight. Holy priests can tank heal, and disco priests can raid heal, but right now I think that you should play to your strengths, which means Holy focussing on the raid primarily.

For the record, I use the following specs as a raid healer:

Omnitron System: Holy, because most of the unavoidable damage is AoE
    Magmaw: Holy, because there is high AoE damage and you are grouped up tightly for Serenity
    Maloriak: Disco, because there is lots of single-target spikes and PW:B is OP
    Chimaeron: Holy, because shields are utterly worthless

Halfus: Holy, because HoTs are win in P2 and flash heal is needed a lot (and disco flash heal is pants)
    Valiona: Holy, for AoE dmg plus Body & Soul
    Twilight Council: Holy, for body & soul plus big AoE damage plus quick flash heals & empowered renew

Conclave of Wind: Disco, because I'm primarily a tank healer

So, that's 1 fight out of 7 where I think disco is stronger for raid healing. Holy's strongest spells (in terms of HPM) are lightwell, PoM, PoH, renew, CoH & binding heal. Almost all of these are multi-target spells. Make sure you're using binding heal whenever you take damage, or flash heal if you don't, to build up serendipity for quick PoH casts. Holy Word: Serenity isn't that efficient in 10-man, but still very potent, and it ticks away whilst you get on with other things, so is worth casting whenever 5 or more ppl are stacked.

Disco's best spells are Penance, GH, PoM and PW:S, with PoH powerful if the automatic DA is going to be used up. Shield spamming is to be avoided; it's not efficient, it only absorbs 10-12k each, and since Rapture changed it will no longer get you any mana back. Just awful.
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 01-08-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
    Healers are capable of working things out on their own. Hunters need to group together to share their single brain cell.
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 01-09-2011, 06:36 AM

Disco is fine for raid healing at the moment. Simply because Prayer of Healing is mental. By casting this spell regularly you can quickly accumulate crazy Divine Aegis shields on everyone because it stacks with each cast. It is the Cata equivalent of shield spam.

The reason I went raid healing was because I had about 20k more mana and much better regen. Also the slow ticks of Echo of Light and renew are pretty pointless when people are getting killed by multiple aoe effects. Having Electron and Magmatron up at the same time is not much fun.

As Akee stated at the time, he wanted the healers to keep people up so they could see the fight. As I was the best equipped healer, I did not think it was fair to give the hardest job for raid healing to someone else.

That said, I prefer tank healing in disc, simply because PoH and PoM spam is a bit dull.

Also, intellect in the best stat for healers, not sprit.

Last edited by Spectrus; 01-09-2011 at 06:41 AM.
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 01-09-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spectrus View Post
    Also, intellect in the best stat for healers, not sprit.
    Seeing as all our gear comes with int as a primary stat and you can't reforge for int, that only matters when it comes to gemming.
    Closed Thread