Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > World of Warcraft Guild (EU)

Closed Thread

#11   Report Post  
    Old 12-14-2010, 12:27 AM
    Insane Moderator

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Belimawr View Post
    the other option is, if you have something you want to do and can think of a time and people to come try setting it up your self, I know this sounds harsh but as the guild is the size it is you can't expect the small number of officers to do events for every single person each week. it's the same with the raid groups (akee made a post about it a while back) but if you have an idea for an event and think you can get it going if you ask a officer they will put it on the calendar and give you access to your event through it and also promoting it to everyone who looks at a calendar.

you don't need to be a officer to run an event, if you have a good idea and can organise it the officers will post it to the calendar for you.
    That's exactly why I suggested having a seperate officer position, who has nothing to do with main raids, but is willing to act as an "Ambassador" of sorts, to PCG and it's member's. A point of contact to stop regular's going to Klog's and Darieth's of the guild, to allow them to play in peace for a change, so they can push forward, promoting our guild as a raid leader, whilst those social players, who came to the guild, because the magazine said we are a social guild by Tim's own word's in the official WoW magazine and are being represented and heard, whilst having fun with event's, that us top end guys have done a lot of, over the years.

The position should also be about bringing in the new player's, making them feel welcome, helping them along with occasional quest's, giving advice, doing bank request's and being a "Big Brother/Sister" for a few weeks, to help them settle, whilst fullfilling the need for social event's, lower event's and/or rep grind's, fun event's that have nothing to do with major raids, like running in wedding dress's across the land etc.... for the pure hell of it.

It's a representative that everyone in PCG should know and trust, which should be everyone's first point of contact in the officer ranks.... but it really needs people who have more patience than I could muster in three lifetimes. This person doesn't need a lot of "gizmo" power's etc, just the ability's and respect to be approachable, to officer's and member's, a willingness to stop what they are doing and help others. Plenty of people willing.... but not all worthy as we know, but the officership should know a few people by now who could easily fill this roll and appease the ever increasing disidents among PCG.
      #12   Report Post  
    Old 12-14-2010, 01:02 AM

Olgit, I wouldn't go so far as to say there are dissenting voices, more like questioning voices.

I think the idea of social officers wouldn't be bad. As it is we have Raid Wings, PVP wing. Why not social wing? Trade wing? As it stands, the raiders have a few dedicated officers. While I personally don't want officership, I know that greenbeermonkey, myself, you and a few others are willing to do things that the guys leading raids simply have no time to do.

I think the discussion here is quite healthy and yes it is only the 1st week of cata. But, I believe it makes sense for us to plainly, politely and positively put our concerns out there so that the guild does not find it is going from launch to raiding and that's it until the next tier.

I believe that the goal of PCG to be an inclusive guild still stands. In fact, with close to 500 members, 3 10 man groups, 2 25mans all run in 1 week we as a guild have the drive and organisational skills to make it a reality.
    But that can't be done without input. If we don't discuss, calmly, our issues we will not grow and the status quo is not challenged.

When I joined PCG for me it was a last gasp at wow. A take it or leave it attempt to wring some fun from a grind I no longer enjoyed. I'd found a guild where the raiders could raid, the craters could craft and where everyone enjoyed themselves. During wrath endgame, the focus was on clearing content, and I'm proud to say I saw end game I would not have otherwise. Yes, the focus shifted, but in my opinion, it's like being the only person in the room who never watches x factor and being forced to watch one night. By the end of it, you're as excited as the die hard fans and curse Simon cowell.…

My point is, and I apologise for being long winded, if we want positive change in the guild, then each of us must be wiling to step up and ask for the change we want, while working with others so that we are all included in our beloved PCG!

LOK'TAR!
    FOR THE HORDE!
    FOR PCG!

Dum spiro spero - While I breathe, I hope.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bashiok
    And when you see them you'll be all like :O and we'll be all like and then people on the forums will still be all like(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻(Link)

Last edited by Antonius; 12-14-2010 at 01:05 AM.
      #13   Report Post  
    Old 12-14-2010, 02:56 AM

I don't think you need to create a whole different rank for people interested in creating social events. The great thing about this guild is the liberal way in which is run, which is to say that pretty much every member has a voice. You don't need a special rank if you're going to set up anything, there have been so many examples of people starting things without an officer rank, Hyrath with Late Night Raiding, Leviethan with Old World Clearing, Contagion with his group for starting the Ashes run, etcetera etcetera.

This whole "PCG needs to start doing fun things" discussion is all very well, but people who actually care need to start taking the initative in my opinion. You don't need to start this big debate, and you certainly don't need an officer rank, just go and start one! I can think of a dozen things to get everyone involved that do not take that much effort, and I think we're turning this whole thing into a bigger thing than it needs to be. Lets stop discussing the matter and go and do something.

A blog about games. - Now with increased vigor!

Updates every Wednesday.
      #14   Report Post  
    Old 12-14-2010, 07:57 AM

I just have a handful of things to say on this.

Firstly, I really hope that you do not consider the current officers as 'raiding officers'. I myself take my job as an officer to mean that I help anyone with anything, not simply taking Team Awesome through raids a couple of times a week. Although I take the raid leading seriously and put time into it I would not like to think that people do not approach me for other WoW related things. I remember (with all the guilds I have been in) being a complete noob to WoW and all those who helped me with even the simplest of things and I want to provide the same back to players. I can understand that you want some 'social officers' but I do not feel that a new rank should be created, maybe we just need a couple more officers who are not raid leaders/serious raiders.

Secondly, the guild awards really showed the support and enthusiasm the guild has for events outside of raiding. The officers are more than aware that we have a number of social players in the guild and we have ideas in the pipeline to cater for this, we are just waiting for the hype of Cata to pass whilst everyone levels up and starts new characters etc. I think it is good that you have voiced your opinions in a well thought out thread and this means that the officers can take into account what sorts of events you guys want. This is constructive and as we can see leads to a conversation lots of people can contribute to and prevents any 'drama'.

Finally, it is difficult to go back and do old raids etc at the moment. As Team Awesome found out the other day in ICC, because our gear has changed, people are no longer expertise/hit capped, have reliable mana pools etc and this can make some encounters tough (including the Lich King). This is another reason there are few events on the calander. Once people are back up to speed we can go back and get Kingslayer if thats what people want, or Naxx, or Molten Core or whichever raid you want to see again/for the first time.

I think PCG have a lot in store for the next year for both raiders and social players. Please feel free to carry on contributing ideas to this thread, it helps us to plan social events. Also, if you want to take an event yourself just ask an officer to put it on the calander and go and do it. If you are unsure about an event, have a chat with an officer and they will help you out. An event does not need to have an officer leading it but you may even find some sign up to your events, we all enjoy the social/old world events too, just sometimes, we like to sit back and let someone else lead!
    I would suggest maybe waiting until after Christmas/ New Year as many in the guild have children and families they will be devoting their time to and you may struggle for numbers. I know Team Awesome will be getting a well deserved break!

I have not been online a lot recently but I am going to try and be online more often as of this week, so if you need anything, please ask! Despite being a 'raid leader' there is more to WoW than simply raiding for me and I am looking forward to some of the social events going on in the next year.
      #15   Report Post  
    Old 12-14-2010, 09:15 AM

Talking

Hey Guys.
    Thanks for the comments.
    Aphaeas, thanks for the comments. You are right in that we should wait until after xmas.
    I do believe that waiting until we are few weeks into the new content and trying to do things is better.

But again, I think that we should at least make it known that it is possible to do other things than raid.

We've had a lot of new people in the last few weeks and months, but we do forget from time to time that they don't know that the guild is for all types! This isn't a criticism, we're all too busy enjoying ourselves we forget to let people know what is possible!

Zael, you are 100% correct in that initiative needs to be taken. Take a look at the tradeskills forum and the thread I posted. Later today I will post something about the Craft and Gather Fair I'm planning.
    Hopefully others will be able to see that we don't have to rely on Officers for everything.

Quote:
    And when you see them you'll be all like :O and we'll be all like and then people on the forums will still be all like(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻(Link)
      #16   Report Post  
    Old 12-14-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Antonius View Post
    Hey Guys.
    Thanks for the comments.
    Aphaeas, thanks for the comments. You are right in that we should wait until after xmas.
    I do believe that waiting until we are few weeks into the new content and trying to do things is better.

But again, I think that we should at least make it known that it is possible to do other things than raid.

We've had a lot of new people in the last few weeks and months, but we do forget from time to time that they don't know that the guild is for all types! This isn't a criticism, we're all too busy enjoying ourselves we forget to let people know what is possible!

Zael, you are 100% correct in that initiative needs to be taken. Take a look at the tradeskills forum and the thread I posted. Later today I will post something about the Craft and Gather Fair I'm planning.
    Hopefully others will be able to see that we don't have to rely on Officers for everything.
    Just holler if you want a hand with anything.

PCG Game Club
    Steam

Also on Origin
      #17   Report Post  
    Old 12-14-2010, 09:31 AM

Talking

Quote:
    Originally Posted by greenbeermonkey View Post
    Just holler if you want a hand with anything.
    Oh, I will!
    /rubs hands ominously...

Quote:
      #18   Report Post  
    Old 12-14-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Antonius View Post
    Oh, I will!
    /rubs hands ominously...

PCG Game Club
    Steam

Also on Origin
      #19   Report Post  
    Old 12-14-2010, 09:54 AM

A lot of what you are asking for has been done at regular intervals. Older raids in particular have been run on regular basis by a number of players, not just officers. Crikey, you only need 2 or 3 to clear most level 60 content now. Only 2 weeks ago we had over 100 people turn up to the awards night.

As mentioned there is stuff in the pipe line, but if you wnat to do something else then please feel free to organise something.

You mentioned about carrols in Orgrimmar. Tell me when you want to do it and i'll put it on the calendar. you can then post your plans on the forum and invite whoever signs up! You dont need your hand held for something like that.

PCG probably organises more social events than any other guild on our server. i'm sure if you look at what has been done thoughtout Wraith you will see that you are not that hard done by!

Also a minor point, but you mentiond that 30+ people signed for the dungeon run at the weekend but only 2/3 of those turned up. That makes it very difficult to organise events. Please if you cant make something you signed for, remove yourself from the event.

As with all the officers, if you need something, please ask!

Cheers,
    Uru

Foosfighting 12/11/2010
      #20   Report Post  
    Old 12-14-2010, 10:16 AM

Does anyone have any machinma / decent video editing experience in the guild?

The Xmas carol idea could bear a lot of fruit if we could muster some sort of epeeness the recent Billy Joel one did. I'm thinking we could do different scenes in various parts of Org reflecting the mood.

eg. Cleft of shadows, a more somber, melancholic melody, in the goblin slums perhaps something like Wizard or Slade? Lets go nuts with ideas and see what we can accomplish!

PCG Game Club
    Steam

Also on Origin
    Closed Thread