Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > World of Warcraft Guild (EU) > Class Discussion

#21   Report Post  
    Old 12-02-2010, 10:36 PM

@ Antonius
    You don't need it till you start raiding

@ Ilimra
    Stacking AW and Zealotry is pretty much a terrible idea. Zealotry is all about CS, TV, CS, TV, CS, TV, CS, TV etc. Adding HoW in there wastes the benefit of Zealotry, and not using hoW wastes one of the benefits of wings. So staggger them. I tend to pop Zealotry nice and nearly, as threat is less spikey than it is with wings. Once Zealotry is down I might just chain AW straight after. AW is best used during Bloodlust however, so if you know you're gonna lust quite early, use zealotry on the pull and save wings for lust. If lust comes late / not at all, use Wings as early as you can while doing max dps without pulling aggro, so it will be up again faster.

Inquisition will only make Exo and HoW even more powerful than TV - TV is physical dmg, inquisition only buffs holy dmg
      #22   Report Post  
    Old 12-02-2010, 10:46 PM

Thanks for the info Slash! I was wondering the same as Illimra about the whole coupling/de-coupling AW and Zealotry dilemma, I completely forgot about the HoW impact lol.
      #23   Report Post  
    Old 12-03-2010, 09:16 AM

No problem
    At 85 we get an additional cooldown, in the form of Guardian and the Ancient Kings. The damage done by the guardian's shadowmourne type explosion when the duration runs out isn't great - about 12k on a single target (and it is split dmg between all nearby targets, like shadowmourne). That sounds decent ish, but it's not when you realise that the Guardian has a 5 minute (!) cooldown and Non crit TVs hit for about 15k.

The MAIN benefit of the Guardian though, is the strength buff. Whenever you or the Guardian use damaging attacks or abilities (it stacks on everything, from CS and TV etc to white swings) you get a stacking strength buff, 1% more strength per stack, stacks to 20. So If it lasts 30 seconds, you not only get the Guardian's dps (Which is decent, about 1.6k dps while it's alive, though that was self buffed on a dummy, dunno who it scales yet) but also 20% for strength for a good portion of the duration, provided you stack it up nice and fast.

Considering this, we can work out the best time to use wings for our heaviest burst dps. If we imagine it takes 10 seconds of going through our cycle to stack the buff to 20 (it might be mor,e might be less, depends on haste) then there will be a 20 second period where we have 20% more strength. THIS is when you want to pop wings, as 20% more strength + 20% more overall damage + the Guardian's DPS = utter brutality.

Even if it takes you more than 10 seconds to fully stack the Guardian buff, I would still probably wait until there's 20 seconds left on the duration (You'll need a timer as the default UI doesn't display the time remaining) before popping wings, so you get the maximum possible time with both of them up together, and the highest possible strength buff too.

Still think it needs less of a cooldown. I miss the days when it would do like 150k damage when it expired, but then blizzard nerfed it because apparently someone thougt it was unfair that rets could oneshot someone every 5 minutes. Boring gits.
      #24   Report Post  
    Old 12-03-2010, 04:53 PM

lol, I see no problem with 150k hits, as long as its me doing the hitting and not a big scary dragon!

Hmm, so it seems there is even more of an arguement to stack haste to the soft cap of CS to 3s casting time before stacking crit as like you say you want to get the Guardian buff stacked uber quick so you can utilise AW as many times in a fight as possible.

Looking forward to hitting 85 and then figuring out how to maximise dps, should be fun
      #25   Report Post  
    Old 12-07-2010, 11:19 AM

Ooo ret thread. Hello ret-friends.

And dont panic about the apparent loss of dps, as cata says Inquisition is gonna add a whole lot of fun to our class when we get it and I imagine the scaling at 85 will balance stuff out.

That being said, I am not impressed by the amount of Mastery on the plate dps gear I have seen on atlas loot.
      #26   Report Post  
    Old 12-07-2010, 11:34 AM

dark there is loads of mastery on everything now as it seems to be the cross class go to skill.
      #27   Report Post  
    Old 12-07-2010, 11:45 AM

I know this, Beli.
      #28   Report Post  
    Old 12-08-2010, 01:11 PM

Inquisition helps... but not by alot.

I was doing ok last night but still not stellar, and I certainly wasn't doing face melting meter breaking damage either.
    GoAK will help abit, as will level 85 abilities and gear. Still think we need a few tweaks, as mastery is atrocious, and Zealotry isn't that great either.