Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Tech

#1   Report Post  
    Old 12-04-2010, 07:59 AM

Default Anyone knowledgeable on the ATI Radeon 4200?

Took advantage last week of the Black Friday deals to get a new HP Pavilion p6604y desktop. System is fast, but now I have some reservations on how well it will game (haven't gotten the internet running on it yet so I haven't been able to access my Steam from there).

It has 6GB of hard drive which can expand to 16GB, and the Radeon 4200 is integrated.

I'm not the most fluent of people in computer hardware, but I know integrated graphic cards aren't exactly the best out there, but the bundle was what worked with the money I had available.

Now to the main matter at hand, I've been doing my research and found two great variances in it's power... One, that it's a graphic card that can only handle older stuff from 2+ years ago... and on the other people saying the card runs excellently with enough memory to back it. I've even looked up and found videos from games like Assassin's Creed and even Crysis running on it with decent fps (well, Crysis was a little under decent, but I have no desire to play that game anyway).

So what's the deal? Anyone else out there running on the 4200 and happy with it? Or should I now start saving to upgrade the motherboard and graphics?
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 12-04-2010, 02:54 PM

Lol, integrated graphics, now that brings memories, the fastest game that i could power was unreal tournament...

Integrated graphics are laughable at best, but AMD's 3200/ 4200 integrated GPU's are pretty good for what they are. To get the most out of them your gonna wanna overclock them, the highest clock i've seen on them was 1GHZ core, which is quite insane for IGP (integrated graphics processor).

[URL="http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-785g-chipset,2381.html"]Here's some benches[/URL] showing off what it's capable of, not to bad.

Your gonna wanna start saving up for a beefier power supply (the ones they put in OEM machines are brutal) and a decent graphics card, if you build up a budget of maybe $150 then that should get you going places. The HD 4200 will do, for now.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    I think the real reason we're a dying breed is because we have trouble breeding.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 12-05-2010, 11:36 AM

Thanks. Right now most of the stuff I'm playing is older, but I've been working off of an old laptop that while it could handle Half-Life pretty well with very little lag, it would practically have seizures with even Sam and Max if it ran too long.

I've been wanting to get into games like Borderlands, Assassin's Creed, Fable... and especially the next Portal (played and beat the original on a friend's computer, now I'm hooked), so it's nice to know that for at least some of them it can run decently... and on my new, beautiful 20 inch monitor (as opposed to my laptop with a dead light on one side).