Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > World of Warcraft Guild (EU) > Class Discussion

#1   Report Post  
    Old 11-27-2010, 11:18 PM

Question Resto Shammy - Help a new healer!

Hi, I've recently joined the guild but have been a long time WoW player (since 2005) and although I've done a lot, I've always stuck pretty rigidly to my rogue and have never attempted healing.

With Cataclysm, I'm going to be starting a Goblin Shaman with the intent on learning this alternative play-style and actually being good at it.

I reckoned with the re-designs that I'd have more opportunity to learn in groups and dungeons as I level, but I probably need more help and tips if I want to be good enough to do heroics/raids when it hits 80-85. If there is anyone who can give me some tips on Shammy healing, or who wouldn't mind grouping up for some lowbie "training" dungeon runs, then I'd be forever grateful. I really want to become an active part of this guild and be versatile enough that I can take part in different roles in the endgame.

Thanks,
    Cab.
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 11-28-2010, 12:22 AM

I'll write some shammy tips tomorrow - listening to the cricket at the mo!

I'm sure you'll get lots of chances to heal guild groups as you level as there are going to be loads of gobbins in the guild!
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 11-28-2010, 09:23 AM

I think I will complete my healing set with a goblin shammy aswell, glad there are only 4 healing classes, so far.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 11-28-2010, 10:50 AM

Simple Math did an amazing guide to being a resto shaman:

Quote:
    You are in a Guild. In your Guild There are Shamans. In your Shamans' Spellbook There is a Button. This Button is called Brain Heal. In ye olde timey days of yore, healers in MMO's had to engage in the laborious task of selecting the targets they wished to heal. But those days are over thanks to the stunning healing technology available to every shaman in the form of Brain Heal (It does the thinking for you!). Employ the Brain Heal and recive epics from the boss.
    Taken from Simple Math's "BT and MH for bads"
    [url]http://www.wowwiki.com/So_you%27re_off_to_BT/Hyjal_%28A_Guide_for_bads%29[/url]
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 11-28-2010, 11:24 AM

Akee is the one for shaman specific tips.

I would say get a decent raid UI and start practising with two or three healing spells in dungeons as you level. Chain heal is a very good 'smart heal' to begin with. Once you start to get a feel for things, then yu can start introducing new spells and try to work on minimising overhealing and managing mana with cool downs.

Always good to have more healers in the guild.
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 11-28-2010, 12:38 PM

Obviously everything has changed since the most recent patches, so i'll just give some overall advice.
    - refresh earth shield (on the tank) and water shield (on yourself) as soon as they fade - you might want to get a mod to track this so you don't forget
    - chain heal is fantastic if it will hit 3 or more targets - learn to use other spells if players are spaced out
    - use appropriate totems. Unless things have changed completely, when i was solo-leveling totems were a waste of time and mana. In dungeons they can be fantastic buffs to the party, so make sure your maximising your effeciveness by choosing the right totems for the group
    - practice. The more 5-man dungeons you do, the more these things and other will come naturally, and you can start to do silly emotes and run around the room while healing.

If you want more info on something else - specific talent tree choices or the like, then let us know!
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 11-28-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Akee View Post
    you can start to do silly emotes and run around the room while healing.
    This is why Team Win are glad that Akee's mage in Cataclysm will be his main
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 11-28-2010, 03:27 PM

Hehe, thanks for the tips so far.

I guess I'll just hammer the 5-mans and do my best to learn the ropes. I'm glad of the reduction in dual-spec level since I'll have my levelling build and my party build pretty early. Got heirlooms for DPS spec, so anything I pick up will be adding to my healing gear.

I look forward to grouping with some new Gobbos in a couple o weeks!
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 11-28-2010, 06:29 PM

Good news - you've picked a nice, simple healing class to play

+ Earth Shield the tank, obviously.
    + I always used riptide as a first heal to proc the tidal waves (or whatever its called) buff.
    + Keep your eye on this buff and use it effectively.
    + Aside from that, let the abilities themselves guide you - its all about using the appropriate skill to keep those green bars full, not going OOM and keeping a level head when theres a lot of damage. As Akee said - Chain Heal is your friend, it is your "smart" heal, use it if in doubt about anything.
    + Riptide is also your friend, it was always my staple heal as it hits pretty damn hard.
    + Those Earth Shield orbs can heal for a stupid amount as well, it might not be very often you see the tank take damage!
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 11-29-2010, 01:57 PM

Hi,

I can't really give you tips on healing as a Shaman as I play a Disco Priest but I'll give you a few pointers that I have learned while levelling my priest from 1 to 80.

The first thing I would do (which I completely missed until I was about level 72) is to get yourself a healing add-on. I use "Healbot" but there are others out there...try a couple and see which one suits you the best. I was doing OK at healing but "Healbot" makes things a lot easier and thus making you so much better.

Secondly, learn what your healing abilities do, how long they take to cast etc. There is nothing worse than getting to the end of a long cast healing spell only to find that your intended target is a bloody, beaten mess on the floor. Know when to cast that small heal spell that will give you enough time to cast a bigger heal. Learn how much your spells heal of what length of time and use that information to be as efficient as possible.

Thirdly, develop a thick skin. Healing is a thankless task but as a healer you really are the glue that holds a party together. I have been blamed for party wipes on more than one occasion (a couple of times it really was my fault ). Unfortunately you don't often get compliments on your skill as a healer are few and far between and even a simple thanks doesn't happen that often. Having said that I had a great compliment last night in PUG - a tank asked if people wanted to do another random and the reply from on guys was "Not with you as a tank...the only reason we made it though that was because Kayal heals like a demon on speed". Which was nice.

Hear that Tanks and DPSers...say thanks to your healer...we like it

Mana potions...they really are useful. There were several points in my levelling of my Priest (Kayal) were I found that I didn't have enough base mana or fast enough regen of mana. A simple solution to this is to have a little stock pile of the best mana potions you can use. This helps for two reasons - firstly if you are in an instance and you run out of mana part way through a big fight it gives you an instant hit of mana that could be the difference between a wipe and success. They can also be used to reduce down time between fights in instances. Some people don't like hanging around for mana breaks every couple of minutes so it helps to keep the flow of the game going.

Having said all that about potions you should aim to have the best balance you can at all levels - pay attention to how much spirit and intelligence you have to maximise your potential as a healer. Oh and spell power is pretty key too

Oh and the last thing is...have fun. Really if you don't like it then don't do it. I enjoy healing people but many people hate it. In fact I prefer it to DPS or Tanking...but then I'm a be weird.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

TeabagSalad,
    AKA Kayal
    AKA Ian