Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > World of Warcraft Guild (EU) > Class Discussion

#1   Report Post  
    Old 11-25-2010, 10:25 AM

Default 4.0.3a Holy Priest Changes

Summary: Hit and miss. Mostly miss.

The big change is to Chakra; before, we had the option of single-target healer, HoT healer or AoE healer. Now the HoT and AoE modes have been rolled together as Raid Mode, which is good.

HOWEVER, it is activated by casting PoH or (bizzarely) PoM. But it doesn't improve PoM. It does improve Renew and Circle of Healing, but those spells neither activate nor, crucially extend, Raid Chakra Mode. Only PoM (which has a long cooldown) or PoH (which is slow and expensive) do that. AND you now only get 4 seconds for each PoH cast, rather than each heal that lands.

Basically, to maintain Chakra and make Renew effective, I have to cast a slow, expensive AoE heal every third cast.

Maybe is was a bit complicated before, but at least it felt sensible. Now it feels awkward and ugly, a compromise too far.

All they have to do is add Renew to the list of spells which activate and extend the chakra state.

Swines.
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 11-25-2010, 10:34 AM

The Chakra Heal state is actually a bit better now, Since any direct heal will extend renew on the target you should be able to maintain it simply by casting PoM on cd and going about your direct tank healing as normal.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 11-25-2010, 10:38 AM

still a bit of a shit if you ask me. i agree with Dar on this one. Adding renew would simplify the issue and make it more logical imho.

PCG Game Club
    Steam

Also on Origin
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 11-25-2010, 10:43 AM

Klog's correct; the single-target mode is much simpler now. The raid mode however, is counter-intuitive and rubbish.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 11-25-2010, 11:03 AM

sorry should have clarified that i agreed on the raid healing element - wasnt poopooing klogs comments!

PCG Game Club
    Steam

Also on Origin
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 11-25-2010, 11:38 AM

I currently macro Chakra to cast with every PoM. It gives a nice boost to raid healing.

You lose flexibility, but I reckon the single target component is only really useful if you are a dedicated tank healer.

Disco is back to being overpowered with the PoH change and the new divine aegis.
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 11-25-2010, 01:42 PM

Well, yeah...the thing is, on Tuesday holy priests could select an appropriate Chakra state that buffed a particular type of spell, and maintain that state relatively easily. Now, if I want to cast a lot of renews (which is often), i also need to cast PoH every 2-3 casts to keep my 15% buff. This isn't really a problem now, because mana is infinite. In Cata, the stated aim is to make healing feel more selective, so you have to choose the right tool for the job. This is at odds with the current Chakra combinations, which forces you to cast a potentially inappropriate AoE spell to keep your HoTs from being rubbish. Fix please.
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 11-25-2010, 02:19 PM

I pretty much always hit pom on cool down anyway, so I don't see it as a major chore.

Chakra is minimum of 30 seconds, pom is 10 second cool down, so chakra should be up practically all the time.

It would be more efficient if it proced off renew as well, but pom is a pretty good spell in most situations where there is raid damage anyway.

Mind you, it would be nice if chakra boosted pom as well...
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 11-25-2010, 02:24 PM

PoM only extends the Chakra state by 4 seconds for every cast, which isn't enough without having to chuck PoH in a few times. Changing it to renew would be sooo much simpler.
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 11-25-2010, 06:00 PM

Aye, but my macro is:

/Cast Chakra
    /Cast Prayer of mending.

So, if i hit this about every ten seconds, which is PoM cooldown, it will try and cast Chakra, meaning that it is up 'most of the time', without requiring much micromanagement. The third POM usually hits after chakra has finished its cooldown, meaning the spell casts again.

Of course, it would be even more convenient if it triggered from renew as well.