Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Tech

#1   Report Post  
    Old 03-04-2014, 09:44 PM

Unhappy Choppy, lurching performance in most games

Hello all. I've been having a problem with stuttery, choppy, lurching performance in most games for a while now and have run out of things to try.

I have a system built around Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P Socket AM3 with AMD Phenom II x4 Quad core 955. I've got 12 gigs in it and games are installed to my primary drive which is a 256gig SSD. I had the Radeon HD 7800 until yesterday when I swapped it out for a Geforce GTX 660: an impulse buy because I've had the Radeon for a year and keep hearing about its 'notorious stutter problem'. Guess what? Apart from a better overall framerate and lovely looking textures, the above mentioned problems are still there, exactly the same.

I did a clean install of Windows tonight - last ditch attempt - and only put the bare minimun of software and drivers on before taking Tomb Raider for a spin. Same stuttery performance. Same in Thief, Need for Speed Rivals, Far Cry 3.

Bios is set to 'optimised defaults' and I haven't dabbled with power settings. All that's happened in the last year that I can think of is the usual browser updates, installing the odd game here and there, no major changes. I haven't upgraded in a while, until the GTX today.

The game lurches every second or so, so running in a straight line in Tomb Raider gives me a headache. Standing on the spot and spinning the camera has the same lurching, choppy behaviour. If I leave Lara idle, you can see the particle effects lurch and the animation on the river stuttering slightly. Even the waves in the menu screen don't animate smoothly. Between the chops the framerate seems smooth, and overall everything looks great. The GTX has taken things up a notch, but the stuttering makes gaming on my system not feasible - it just makes me feel ill. Too bad I built it for games! Based on a PCG Rig build from a few years back.

I've gone through taking memory out (down from 12 gig to 6 and back up again), turning vsynch on and off and all the setting inbetween, both in the GTX settings panel and in individual games. Lowering resolution in TR (from 1920 x 1080 to 1366 x 768) makes the problem look worse to my eyes, so I really don't think it's that the PC can't cope with these games. They all automatically select normal or high for their various graphics settings.

Power supply is the 'OCZ ZS Series 650W '80 Plus Bronze'. I haven't overclocked anything or made any modifications. I wouldn't know where to start. It's all fairly factory default here, and that seemed to be fine for a year or so. Drivers are all up to date.

Any ideas are very welcome. At this point I've got a decent enough PC that I can't really use as the problem is too severe to overlook. I've tried, but get seasick. Many thanks.

Edit: Have disabled antivirus and firewall while gaming. No difference.

Last edited by Hoggle; 03-04-2014 at 09:48 PM.
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 03-05-2014, 12:02 AM

I recommend switching to Intel , might fix the stuttering.

Last edited by Dren_Utogi; 03-05-2014 at 12:24 AM.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 03-05-2014, 09:23 AM

So to fix my PC... I should build a new PC? The MB only supports AMD CPUs. Any cheaper suggestions? Thanks.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 03-05-2014, 08:07 PM

Fixed! I overclocked the CPU from 3400 to 3700 and stutter gone (keeping heat under 55 at stress test with stock heatsink, will get a better one soon). Thanks for listening.