Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Tech

#1   Report Post  
    Old 02-26-2014, 04:55 AM

Default Upgrading my Dell XPS 420

So my faithful Dell Desktop has reached the point where the video card often simply stops sending a signal to the monitor after the resolution has changed so I've finally decided that it is time to upgrade it. I'm hoping to upgrade 90% of the computer's innards over the next few years and I've decided to start with the GPU (because it's actively stopping me from using the PC) and the PSU.

This is the first time I've upgraded a computer by myself and I'd like to avoid making any mistakes. This is the video card I think I'm going to get ([URL="http://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/EVGA-GeForce-GTX-660-2GB-Superclocked/20904927"]http://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/EVGA-GeForce-GTX-660-2GB-Superclocked/20904927[/URL]) and this is the power supply ([URL="http://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/500W-Corsair-CX500M-Modular-Bronze-Power-Supply/21639615"]http://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/500W-Corsair-CX500M-Modular-Bronze-Power-Supply/21639615[/URL]). Are they good choices? The PSU seems sufficient for the GPU but will it be enough for when I replace the motherboard, CPU and RAM in a year or two?

With the power supply how do I make sure that it will work with all the desktop's current components?

Finally, I've seen a few things online that say that you need to be careful to make sure that the GPU will physically fit in the case. What's the best way to determine whether it will fit? Thanks!

#2   Report Post  
    Old 02-27-2014, 07:16 AM

the gpu is fine depends what you want to achieve with it. Minimum Power Requirement for the card is 450w. 500 should be sweet. but i would go for 600 to be on the safe side.
    also should fit fine in the xps
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 02-27-2014, 09:44 AM

in my honest opinion, keep the dell as is , making it your scond PC, and just build a New Pc .

The chasis for dells are annoying to fit things in, and they are designed to make users go back to dell for upgrading.

I am saying this cause I own a dell with the same chassis and I could only fit curtain graphic card and memory/

THe benefit of building a PC from scratch, you will be able to get the latest mobo that will support next generation of chip. You will be able to get the video and memory you want, and you will bebale to get a new chassis that could last you through 2 or more builds.

I bought a Antec 300 Chassis and im on my 3rd build with it.

Depending on your location, a great store you can actually walk into and ask question is "TigerDirect" store chain. They have stores all across the United States in big metro areas.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 02-27-2014, 09:51 AM

looking at images of the 420, you look like you can put a dual slot gfx card inside it, lucky you . With my dell I would have to cut the chassis to fit one.

The only other thing is to make sure the card will fit under that plastic cpu thing.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 02-27-2014, 10:47 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by footesouljaa View Post
    the gpu is fine depends what you want to achieve with it. Minimum Power Requirement for the card is 450w. 500 should be sweet. but i would go for 600 to be on the safe side.
    also should fit fine in the xps
    Ideally I'd like to play last gen games with high settings at 1080p and at least be able to play the next gen stuff. I'll take a look at 600w power supplies. Thanks!

#6   Report Post  
    Old 02-27-2014, 10:51 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dren_Utogi View Post
    in my honest opinion, keep the dell as is , making it your scond PC, and just build a New Pc .

The chasis for dells are annoying to fit things in, and they are designed to make users go back to dell for upgrading.

I am saying this cause I own a dell with the same chassis and I could only fit curtain graphic card and memory/

THe benefit of building a PC from scratch, you will be able to get the latest mobo that will support next generation of chip. You will be able to get the video and memory you want, and you will bebale to get a new chassis that could last you through 2 or more builds.

I bought a Antec 300 Chassis and im on my 3rd build with it.

Depending on your location, a great store you can actually walk into and ask question is "TigerDirect" store chain. They have stores all across the United States in big metro areas.
    Yeah, long term that is my plan, it's just at the moment my student budget doesn't extend to all the components for a new build.

With regards to the motherboard I assume I can plug any GPU into it as long as it's PCI express? Or are there other requirements I'm missing?

#7   Report Post  
    Old 02-28-2014, 06:17 AM

Ok grabbing more info :

first problem :

Memory Type
    667 / 800 MHz Dual Channel Dual DDR2 SDRAM

regardless of what you put into it, that there will bottle neck most high end cards.

HDD Options , which do you have :

Hard Disk Drive options
    160 GB2 7200 rpm SATA w/ 8M Cache
    250 GB2 7200 rpm SATA w/ 8M Cache
    320 GB2 7200 rpm SATA w/ 16M Cache
    500 GB2 7200 rpm SATA w/ 16M Cache
    750 GB2 7200 rpm SATA w/ 16M Cache
    1TB22 7200 rpm SATA w/ 32M Cache
    160 GB2 10K rpm SATA w/ 16M Cache

the only 2 that are good are the 32meg cache and the 10k rpm.
    the 7200rpm with a 16 bit catch , kind of walking speed.

What card is in it now :
    768MB DDR3 nVidia® GeForce® 8800 GTX
    512 MB DDR3 nVidia® GeForce® 8800 GT
    256MB DDR3 nVidia® GeForce® 8600 GTS

256MB DDR4 ATI HD 2600 XT
    128MB DDR4 ATI HD 2400 PRO

if it is the 8800GTX, probably the best it is gonna get with the ram and HDD speeds. IF not an 8800GTX then I say upgrading is an option, but saving for a complete pc would be better. College is studying, not gaming .

Power :
    Power
    375 W standard
    425 W available on select configurations

definitely upgrade.

the two biggest things making it waste to upgrade is the RAM speed, and HDD.

I strongly recommend saving you pennies for a completely new pc, and just muddling around with what you have for a bit longer.

This is my opinion.

If you want to go nvideo card, someone can help you, I'm an AMD man .
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 02-28-2014, 06:34 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lord Uber Dowzen View Post
    Yeah, long term that is my plan, it's just at the moment my student budget doesn't extend to all the components for a new build.

With regards to the motherboard I assume I can plug any GPU into it as long as it's PCI express? Or are there other requirements I'm missing?
    should be able to put a car din it as along a syou upgrade the power supply
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 03-01-2014, 12:53 AM

@Dren_Utogi, thanks very much for your in depth research! To answer your questions I have the 8800GT and the 500gb HD. While ideally saving and just replacing the whole lot would be the best thing to do the desktop is my only computer aside from my tablet so I need it working for my schoolwork. The bottlenecks are annoying but at this point I just need to get it working. Thanks for all your help!