Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Tech

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
      #1   Report Post  
    Old 06-12-2013, 10:01 PM

Cool Can you explain these cards? (first gaming PC build)

Hey everyone. Lifetime console gamer, and even Apple user and ex-employee, about to build my first PC for gaming. I have roughly 1500$ for amazon, and more if I need it. (been saving)

As far as building it, I am sure I can figure it out once I buy all the parts. For the most part I have decided on some version of an i5 chip, I hear i7 is mostly for movie making, and I have an i7 in my Macbook Pro if I ever decide to make videos. THIS IS 100% GAMING.

My MAIN question here, is after a bit of research, for the cost, the 670 Nvidia card seemed to be the one to go with, tho I hear it's a bit loud at times. I don't COMPLETELY understand overclocking (superclocked, 3470v3570k, etc) .... (just like wearing a size 30 waist when you are a 34 or a 32? lol...?) However, via amazon, a much hgher ranked card the 770, seems to be only a few bucks more. It also shows fans, are there not great fans inside that closed case on the 670?

PLEASE help me understand all the numbers and info a video card has in its name, and which card to get.

GTX 770 listed here:
    [url]http://www.amazon.com/MSI-DisplayPort-N770-TF-2GD5/dp/B00CZ58WUI/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1371073446&sr =1-2&keywords=gtx+770[/url]

GTX 670 listed here:
    [url]http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Dual-Link-DisplayPort-Graphics-02G-P4-2678-KR/dp/B0083Y6MV6/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1371073856&sr =1-1&keywords=gtx+670[/url]

ALSO, if you feel like it, let me know your personal experience and recommendations on other parts to buy, from 8v16gb of RAM, to the tower itself.

thanks so much.

Looking forward to being part of the community.

Tags

gaming, intel, noob, nvidia, power