Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > World of Warcraft Guild (EU) > Raids and Events > Team Win

#1   Report Post  
    Old 05-23-2013, 12:27 PM

Default bad internet is bad, and you should feel bad

Hey dudes and dudettes!
    Some of you will know i've been having bad connection issues recently - the last 3 raids I tried to join were impossible, and the same goes whenever i log in, no matter which realm I try.

Even the in-game chat doesn't work, so trying to communicate to anyone in game is very difficult.

I've contacted my ISP and giving them all the info they say they need, so am crossing my finers they can help me out.

It's very frustrating as I know wer have a few new guildies/raid members join us and I would really want to welcome them in to help a smooth mergerr - I hope you will all make up for it by being extra nice and not saying mean things about hunters anad warlocks

I have a half-term coming up this week, so am thinking of going away for a long weekend where I dont have WoW access at all, and thus not getting massively annoyed when I try and play.

Am hoping Steel and Barks can help take charge over the next couple of raids, and i hope to be back playing with you all a week today

Good luck tonight and monday, and see you all next week
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 05-23-2013, 10:24 PM

I had something very similar and it was to do with virgin.

I found a fix on their forums by changing the mtu from 1500 to 900.

People said it wasn't the best solution but it worked and has been set like that for the last 2-3 years and nothing has caught on fire...

Here's a site explaining about it and how to find your correct mtu:

[url]http://www.richard-slater.co.uk/archives/2009/10/23/change-your-mtu-under-vista-windows-7-or-windows-8/[/url]

I'd be tempted just to try 900 like I did as its easy enough to change back.

Hope you get it sorted one way or another and be back online with us soon.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 05-23-2013, 10:28 PM

This was the virgin post I mentioned:

[url]http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Computers-Gaming/WoW-High-Latency-quot-fix-quot-for-latest-patch/td-p/166231[/url]
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 05-24-2013, 07:37 AM

It could be a faulty micro filter they some times stop working; it's the dongle in the phone line that goes to the router. You should also have micro filters on any other extensions in the house even if it's just a phone.

Realm First! Zen Master Cook - 25th Sep 2012
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 05-24-2013, 08:03 AM

Changing the DNS from the standard ISP provided is also a good thing to do, it generally speeds up most internet related things. It doesn't speed up anything using a direct IP, but as WoW now uses FQDN's in the realm list and wtf folders, it may help.

Try OpenDNS or Google's DNS.

On the plus side, it also means less targeted ads from your ISP. Though Google's means ads elsewhere.

If you need help changing your DNS, gimmie a shout.

Dum spiro spero - While I breathe, I hope.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bashiok
    And when you see them you'll be all like :O and we'll be all like and then people on the forums will still be all like(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻(Link)
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 05-24-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bimble View Post
    It could be a faulty micro filter they some times stop working; it's the dongle in the phone line that goes to the router. You should also have micro filters on any other extensions in the house even if it's just a phone.
    depends if he is on DSL or cable, as cable (like infinity or other fibre based lines) has the internet basically come in as a separate line so you don't need microfilters.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Antonius View Post
    On the plus side, it also means less targeted ads from your ISP. Though Google's means ads elsewhere.
    google actually do an addon for chrome that lets you opt out of google ads tracking as well as other tracking.
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 05-24-2013, 10:29 PM

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rksCTVFtjM4"]This[/URL]
    words words words
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 05-25-2013, 07:27 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Belimawr View Post
    google actually do an addon for chrome that lets you opt out of google ads tracking as well as other tracking.
    Didn't know that. I don't use many add-ons, browser wise. The 8+ tabs I tend to open in a normal browsing session are enough of a resource hog as it is!

Dum spiro spero - While I breathe, I hope.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bashiok
    And when you see them you'll be all like :O and we'll be all like and then people on the forums will still be all like(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻(Link)