Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Tech

    Reply
     
    Thread Tools Display Modes
      #41   Report Post  
    Old 04-25-2013, 01:27 PM
    XoRn XoRn is offline
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Mar 2011
    Posts: 21
    Default

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Layman View Post
    So can anyone explain why it seems to be the same price whether I buy a prebuilt system or the individual parts?
    Depends on what company is building the PC. They may be using refurbished parts which may be more likely to fail sooner or they could be charging less for there low end prebuilt systems and offset that with high end prices.

    Quote:
    VII. I need to upgrade my internet bandwidth in order to play games online. This modestly-priced broadband is nice, but I'd like a lower ping.
    A. While ping and bandwidth are two factors of internet speed, they are unrelated to each other. Upgrading your bandwidth should not have an impact on your ping. Bandwidth is the maximum amount of data that can be transmitted or received at any given time. Ping determines how long it takes for the data to reach there after a request is sent. Online gaming typically won't be bottlenecked by your bandwidth if you have a broadband connection. I need help wording this better.
    I'll give it a shot.

    Bandwidth is a measurement of how much data at one time your internet connection is capable of piping into your home. Higher bandwidth means faster download times on large data files.

    Latency is a measurement of how quickly in milliseconds it takes a data packet to make a round trip to a server. Online games uses these data packets to update the server and your personal computer with information to display in the game. Typically these data packets are very small (several bytes to a kilobyte normally) and run no risk of being slowed by your bandwidth, even low end DSL is generally ok.

    Latency is primarily determined by your distance to the server and the network path through your ISP to get to that server. As a general rule, a server that is far away or requires a long distance path to reach will yield a higher latency. Consider for a moment a satellite internet connection. This can offer several times faster bandwidth than DSL may. However it has a much higher latency because the signal of the connection must run to a satellite in orbit, and then back to earth before it even begins it's trip to the server. This adds an unavoidable latency that is not dependent on the bandwidth of the connection.

    Typical low end broadband, such as DSL, can run as cheap as $15 a month and higher end bandwidth connections (such as cable) can be as cheap as $40.
    Reply With Quote
      #42   Report Post  
    Old 04-26-2013, 01:06 AM
    BetaWolf47 BetaWolf47 is offline
    Senior Member
     
    Join Date: Jul 2010
    Posts: 1,426
    Default

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Layman View Post
    So can anyone explain why it seems to be the same price whether I buy a prebuilt system or the individual parts?
    What is the configuration you're building versus the prebuilt system you're looking at? I would almost bet on it being the prebuilt company cutting corners on certain components (PSU, RAM, motherboard, case, capacitors).
    __________________

    Intel Core i5 4670K ♠ Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB
    MSi Z87 Mpower Max ♠ 1x8GB A-DATA DDR3 1600 ♠ 1TB Samsung Spinpoint
    Nuforce Icon HDP Amp/DAC ♠ AKG K702 Headphones
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 ♠ SilverStone Temjin TJ04-E ♠ ASUS MX239H


    Add me on Steam

    Origin: BetaWolf7
    Reply With Quote
      #43   Report Post  
    Old 05-02-2013, 12:09 AM
    RainRock RainRock is offline
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: May 2013
    Posts: 1
    Default can my pc run black ops 2 and or battlefield 3?

    Hi, I'm fairly new to pc gaming and would like to get into it more. I am not sure whether my pc could run black ops 2 or battlefield 3, but those are what I want to play. My pc can run skyrim and free to play fps shooters quite well, average of 80+ fps. I'm not sure whether black ops 2 and battlefield 3 would put more strain on my pc, and I don't want to buy them if they aren't going to perform well.
    Here are my specs straight from the website:
    Operating system: Windows 8
    Processor: Intel® Core i5-3330
    Memory: 8GB
    Graphics card: dedicated MSI AMD HD6670 2GB DDR3
    Could someone answer this because I would love to be able to play these games on my pc without having to upgrade it for them to work well.
    Thanks, RainRock.
    Reply With Quote
      #44   Report Post  
    Old 05-09-2013, 08:00 PM
    Jozo Jozo is offline
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Feb 2013
    Posts: 2
    Default

    Hi,

    My impression is that the time of custom small PC companies is slowly fading.

    Or am I just wrong?


    When is the last time you bought something from [URL="http://www.alienware.com/"]Alienware[/URL] for example?
    Reply With Quote
      #45   Report Post  
    Old 05-10-2013, 01:49 AM
    Fresuvi Fresuvi is offline
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: May 2013
    Posts: 2
    Default

    Hi, I am new to this forum, and I am looking for some help on deciding upon a PC for myself.

    This PC will mainly be used for The Elder Scrolls Online when it is released, as well as a few shooter games in single player mode, such as crysis 3 and metro.

    I have seen some really interesting mini-itx builds, one of which was with the Bitfenix prodigy, an i7 3770k, and a gtx titan. I have a $3000 budget, and this pc, including the monitor I want, and all of the gaming peripherals I want fits that price point perfectly.

    My other options are an Alienware m18x with 2 7970m's and an i7 3740qm and a Corsair 600t/Asus RoG build(this would definitely be the best one for OC'ing) with a RoG matrix platinum and a 3930k.

    I'm having a significant amount of pull towards the Alienware system, simply because it has 15 macro's on the keyboard, and should be able to perform all of the functions I need it to until I buy or build a new PC in 2-3 years.
    (I've always been a fan of Alienware when it comes to laptops, they overclock fairly well, and have some sexy ass lighting features)

    However, I will also note that I need to be able to transport my system to and from friends houses. About 9 of my friends from high-school and I have been playing MMO's since we were about 14, and plan on competitively playing ESO. We find it much easier to communicate and work as a group when we are all in the same room IRL :P

    So, the mini form factor pc, with a 29" IPS ultra-wide monitor, a gtx titan, and a i7 3770k?

    Or the Asus RoG build that would be fairly upgrade-able in the future with a 24" monitor, and a Matrix, 3930k?

    Or the Alienware m18x with the dual 7970m, and an i7 3740qm, also the most practical of the 3 for the uses I need it for, however, not very future-proof at all?

    All 3 are about $3k each, so pricing isn't really a big deal.

    Or feel free to throw some builds at me, can't really exceed 3k(tax included).
    Reply With Quote
      #46   Report Post  
    Old 05-10-2013, 01:32 PM
    Tr4656 Tr4656 is online now
    Senior Member
     
    Join Date: Jun 2010
    Posts: 6,566
    Default

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fresuvi View Post
    Hi, I am new to this forum, and I am looking for some help on deciding upon a PC for myself.

    This PC will mainly be used for The Elder Scrolls Online when it is released, as well as a few shooter games in single player mode, such as crysis 3 and metro.

    I have seen some really interesting mini-itx builds, one of which was with the Bitfenix prodigy, an i7 3770k, and a gtx titan. I have a $3000 budget, and this pc, including the monitor I want, and all of the gaming peripherals I want fits that price point perfectly.

    My other options are an Alienware m18x with 2 7970m's and an i7 3740qm and a Corsair 600t/Asus RoG build(this would definitely be the best one for OC'ing) with a RoG matrix platinum and a 3930k.

    I'm having a significant amount of pull towards the Alienware system, simply because it has 15 macro's on the keyboard, and should be able to perform all of the functions I need it to until I buy or build a new PC in 2-3 years.
    (I've always been a fan of Alienware when it comes to laptops, they overclock fairly well, and have some sexy ass lighting features)

    However, I will also note that I need to be able to transport my system to and from friends houses. About 9 of my friends from high-school and I have been playing MMO's since we were about 14, and plan on competitively playing ESO. We find it much easier to communicate and work as a group when we are all in the same room IRL :P

    So, the mini form factor pc, with a 29" IPS ultra-wide monitor, a gtx titan, and a i7 3770k?

    Or the Asus RoG build that would be fairly upgrade-able in the future with a 24" monitor, and a Matrix, 3930k?

    Or the Alienware m18x with the dual 7970m, and an i7 3740qm, also the most practical of the 3 for the uses I need it for, however, not very future-proof at all?

    All 3 are about $3k each, so pricing isn't really a big deal.

    Or feel free to throw some builds at me, can't really) 3k(tax included).
    I never understood why people go Bitfenix Prodigy when they go ITX. ITX is meant to be small (see Fractal Node 304). When you use a prodigy, the size might as well be mATX. As for Alienware and ROG, both are overpriced. Other than an Rampage IV Extreme for 4-way SLI, there is no other reason to go for them. If you want to include peripherals and tax, that's pretty much only 1.75k on the build itself. Any reason you want 29" as opposed to 30/27?

    Suggestions: [url]http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Wje6[/url] or [url]http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Wjo8[/url]. If you want to buy a keyboard, get a quality mechanical by Ducky, Filco, Rosewill, or the CM Quick Fire Rapid.
    __________________
    Probably sent from my Nexus 5
    Intel SB-E 3930k with EK-Supreme HF
    NZXT Switch 810 || 2x MSI Ref 670
    ASUS Rampage IV Formula || G.SKILL 32GB Ripjaws X || NZXT Hale90 1000w
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM 2TB || 2x128GB Plextor M3
    2x 27" Yamakasi Catleap + Dell Ultrasharp
    Zowie AM || Too many keyboards. (Using reds atm) || ARTISAN VE White
    Steam Profile

    Last edited by Tr4656; 05-10-2013 at 02:26 PM.
    Reply With Quote
      #47   Report Post  
    Old 05-10-2013, 03:02 PM
    Orkgutz Orkgutz is offline
    Senior Member
     
    Join Date: Jun 2010
    Location: England
    Posts: 1,469
    Default

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tr4656 View Post
    I never understood why people go Bitfenix Prodigy when they go ITX.
    I see your point but if I was going to do an mATX sized build, I'd take Prodigy + mITX board because I think it looks amazing.

    I agree that it is a big case for an ITX build though.
    __________________
    Zalman Z9 Plus
    Intel Core i5 2500k @4.2Ghz
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - Corsair SP120 x2 in Push/Pull
    MSI Z77A-GD55
    VTX3D 7870 Tahiti LE
    8GB Crucial Ballistix 1600Mhz
    Kingston HyperX 120GB SSD
    Western Digital SATAIII 1TB x2
    Corsair GS700w

    My Blog

    My Steam
    Reply With Quote
      #48   Report Post  
    Old 05-13-2013, 03:15 AM
    Fresuvi Fresuvi is offline
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: May 2013
    Posts: 2
    Default

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tr4656 View Post
    I never understood why people go Bitfenix Prodigy when they go ITX. ITX is meant to be small (see Fractal Node 304). When you use a prodigy, the size might as well be mATX. As for Alienware and ROG, both are overpriced. Other than an Rampage IV Extreme for 4-way SLI, there is no other reason to go for them. If you want to include peripherals and tax, that's pretty much only 1.75k on the build itself. Any reason you want 29" as opposed to 30/27?

    Suggestions: [url]http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Wje6[/url] or [url]http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Wjo8[/url]. If you want to buy a keyboard, get a quality mechanical by Ducky, Filco, Rosewill, or the CM Quick Fire Rapid.
    The 29 inch one is an ultra-wide one from LG. I saw it at my local Best Buy, and it looked stunning. I felt that since it was so wide it would give better immersion. However, with the monitor I feel as if I should go for a higher resolution monitor instead of the 29" screen. I was looking at one of my friends systems, and 1080p looks like shit compared to his 1600p monitor.

    Also, I picked the Asus stuff because I'm a whore to cosmetic stuff. Love the Black and Red. I really like the Corsair Peripherals(as overpriced as they may be)


    Edit: Just got a raise :P

    Turns out my Budget will end up being $4500

    I've decided to go with a SLI liquid cooled gtx 680 build.

    Last edited by Fresuvi; 05-14-2013 at 02:28 AM.
    Reply With Quote
      #49   Report Post  
    Old 05-22-2013, 07:46 AM
    miranda23 miranda23 is offline
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: May 2013
    Posts: 9
    Default

    Another myth that I think we can add in is that, by leaving the side of the CPU exposed, the internal stuff will be cooler and should be a common practice for gamer or designers. The problem AFTER that would be dust.
    __________________
    And the cat went Meow Meow.
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off

    Forum Jump