Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Tech

#1   Report Post  
    Old 01-27-2013, 01:57 PM

Default Amd Phenom II X4 965 vs i3 2100?

Hello, I am debating whether I should get the AMD Phenom II X4 965, or the Intel i3 2100 for my gaming build. I want to know which one, will be decent now and for about a year will continue to be decent, and will have a decent upgrade path. Any info would be appreciated, thanks
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 01-27-2013, 02:11 PM

they will both be fairly close in gaming, the i3 would give you more options for upgrade as you can always go up to the likes of the i5 3570, but the haswells are coming out in June on a new socket.

as for AMD the older phenom 2's are still better than the newer FX chips.

but really with a CPU your better off going as high as you can rather than expecting to upgrade in a years time, if you went straight to the i5 now it would most likely last you at least 5 years.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 01-27-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Belimawr View Post
    they will both be fairly close in gaming, the i3 would give you more options for upgrade as you can always go up to the likes of the i5 3570, but the haswells are coming out in June on a new socket.

as for AMD the older phenom 2's are still better than the newer FX chips.

but really with a CPU your better off going as high as you can rather than expecting to upgrade in a years time, if you went straight to the i5 now it would most likely last you at least 5 years.
    Well if I were to plan to upgrade to like an i5 or i7 in a year, possibly would the prices be expected to drop when Haswells out?
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 01-27-2013, 02:41 PM

sandy bridge prices barely moved when ivy bridge came out, haswell being a new socket chances are by next year a new set of CPU's will be coming out possibly on the same platform as the haswell chips meaning the sandy/ivy bridge chips could be hard to get hold of, just like the first gen i5's are quite rare now and places that do sell them often want a premium for them as they know your only choice is either pay the extra or get a new motherboard.

I still stand by your better off saving and going straight to the i5 as when sockets change production on the old socket slows down or stops making them harder and harder to get hold of as time goes on, this is why it is often easier to upgrade than replace when a PC part dies.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 01-27-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Belimawr View Post
    sandy bridge prices barely moved when ivy bridge came out, haswell being a new socket chances are by next year a new set of CPU's will be coming out possibly on the same platform as the haswell chips meaning the sandy/ivy bridge chips could be hard to get hold of, just like the first gen i5's are quite rare now and places that do sell them often want a premium for them as they know your only choice is either pay the extra or get a new motherboard.

I still stand by your better off saving and going straight to the i5 as when sockets change production on the old socket slows down or stops making them harder and harder to get hold of as time goes on, this is why it is often easier to upgrade than replace when a PC part dies.
    Ok, thanks for the advice