Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Tech

#1   Report Post  
    Old 01-26-2013, 08:15 AM

Default When will the i5 become obsolete?

So i've been thinking over the past few weeks whether I should upgrade from my Intel Core Quad Q6600 to an i5. The problem is i'm going to have to buy a new motherboard, RAM and processor that would really set me back a bit of bob. It's even more annoying that my current RAM and motherboard are new and my processor is working fine. If I bought all the new gear i'd be throwing away things that still work. It seems so wasteful.

I'm thinking of holding out until i5's are viewed as my Q6600 is perceived now. When this happens, and everyone is upgrading their rigs, i'll upgrade mine too. That way i've "skipped a step" but i've ended up with the same technology as everyone else.

My question is: When will this happen? When will everyone be upgrading their i5's?
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 01-26-2013, 08:39 AM

It's entirely down to Intel. There's a new generation of processors coming soon but it's unlikely to be a big step up, performance-wise from what we have now. Nevertheless, those who have to have the absolute best will upgrade and perhaps you'll feel left behind again.

However, here's a radical though. Why not get the best processor you can afford now and use it until it it is no longer good enough for your purposes, rather than planning to upgrade when all the cool kids do. You have obviously got on well with your Q6600 and my son still has one. He plays BLOPS2 and Far Cry 3 with no issues so he doesn't need to upgrade.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 01-26-2013, 11:45 AM

I don't see games become much more CPU intensive any time soon. Next-gen will be all about offloading to the GPU.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 01-26-2013, 03:10 PM

despite what people think power requirements aren't actually dictated by the consoles (the PS3 is actually about 6 cores) it's actually dictated by where the majority of people are with hardware using data from things such as steam surveys and all the other games that check your hardware, they want to sell to the 90% not the top 10%, as if they market to the top 10% they are already cutting out 90% of the market then cutting it down even further by the people who don't like the game. so they will aim for the 90% as even then if 50% of the people don't like that type of game they still have a target market of 45% of the market instead of 5% of the market.

as for the i5 going away, the first gens are already done, sandy bridge was miles ahead of it, the 2nd and 3rd gen are fairly similar as there isn't much gap between sandy and ivy, chances are when the fourth gen comes out the haswell won't be massively ahead of the ivy bridge.

with PC parts your always better off aiming near the top if you want it to last, but if you buy a intel i5 2500/3570 it should last at least 5 years as they are nowhere near bottle necking on modern cards even running 2 cards, so it will be a long while before they cap out.

the next PS may be meant to have 4 dual core bulldozer chips and a AMD southern island GPU (7000 series named AMD R10XX if that means anything to anyone) but I honestly don't see it pushing the PC requirements up as if you look at [URL="http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey"]the steam hardware survey[/URL] still about 50% of people only have a dual core chip, the same as most people still only have 4gig of ram, I am surprised by the up take on DX11 cards tho.

so end of the day getting a i5 sandy, ivy or haswell should last a good few years as at the moment they are way more than is needed and looking at things such as the steam hardware they are going to be aiming at dual core for quite a while longer.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 01-26-2013, 03:22 PM

If its not good enough for you now, then switch your cpu. There will always be people holding out on older platforms but theres no need to sync up with their upgrade process.

As for when will i5s go away, it all depends on what gen. IB and SB can hold for quite a while and I would imagine Haswell would too. If you are worried about throwing away the Q6600, why not make it a HTPC or something similar?
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 01-26-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
    despite what people think power requirements aren't actually dictated by the consoles (the PS3 is actually about 6 cores) it's actually dictated by where the majority of people are with hardware using data from things such as steam surveys and all the other games that check your hardware, they want to sell to the 90% not the top 10%, as if they market to the top 10% they are already cutting out 90% of the market then cutting it down even further by the people who don't like the game. so they will aim for the 90% as even then if 50% of the people don't like that type of game they still have a target market of 45% of the market instead of 5% of the market.
    That makes sense. I was surprised looking at game debate the number of games that required dual core processors. I had always viewed PC gaming as elitist- ie. everyone runs super expensive processors, graphics cards and a shedload of RAM.

Quote:
    However, here's a radical though. Why not get the best processor you can afford now and use it until it it is no longer good enough for your purposes, rather than planning to upgrade when all the cool kids do. You have obviously got on well with your Q6600 and my son still has one. He plays BLOPS2 and Far Cry 3 with no issues so he doesn't need to upgrade.
    It's nice to know i'm not alone! From browsing this forum everyone seems to write about i5's and i7's and I thought I was missing out. As an analogy, I felt like I was on dial-up when everyone else had broadband.

I'll keep with my trusty rig for now, but i'll see what everyone has to say about haswell when they come out. At the very least, i'll monitor the prices of i5's and i7's to see if they fall down to acceptable levels.
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 01-26-2013, 08:36 PM

to be fair my last CPU before this was an AMD athalon 64 5200 X2, there is no need to upgrade if your PC does what you need it to do.

the people who always have the best are probably less than 5% of the gamer market, this is why firms keep the requirements low as they would rather cater to the 90% instead of the 5-10%.
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 01-26-2013, 09:20 PM

I've had an i5 for about a year, with a Q6600 before that. Absolutely nothing I am currently doing makes me think the i5 is even remotely threatened so it's likely to be a good long time before I upgrade again.
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 01-26-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheQuestion View Post
    That makes sense. I was surprised looking at game debate the number of games that required dual core processors. I had always viewed PC gaming as elitist- ie. everyone runs super expensive processors, graphics cards and a shedload of RAM.

It's nice to know i'm not alone! From browsing this forum everyone seems to write about i5's and i7's and I thought I was missing out. As an analogy, I felt like I was on dial-up when everyone else had broadband.

I'll keep with my trusty rig for now, but i'll see what everyone has to say about haswell when they come out. At the very least, i'll monitor the prices of i5's and i7's to see if they fall down to acceptable levels.
    I would imagine that you can hang on to your Q6600 if its just pure gaming for now. Just realize that Haswell will still go by the i3/i5/i7 nomenclature.
    ASUS Rampage IV Formula || G.SKILL 32GB Ripjaws X || NZXT Hale90 1000w
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM 2TB || 2x128GB Plextor M3
    2x 27" Yamakasi Catleap + Dell Ultrasharp
    Zowie AM || Too many keyboards. (Using reds atm) || ARTISAN VE White
    Steam Profile