Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Tech

#11   Report Post  
    Old 01-25-2013, 07:11 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by M3RV View Post
    You and your fancy digital shizzle.

Though, what benefit is there to having a dedicated soundcard doing digital processing vs the on-board chip doing it? Just different format (I'll call it that for now until i'm corrected) support? Because it's just processing data, not going through amps or anything.
    You free up cpu cycles.
    ASUS Rampage IV Formula || G.SKILL 32GB Ripjaws X || NZXT Hale90 1000w
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM 2TB || 2x128GB Plextor M3
    2x 27" Yamakasi Catleap + Dell Ultrasharp
    Zowie AM || Too many keyboards. (Using reds atm) || ARTISAN VE White
    Steam Profile
      #12   Report Post  
    Old 01-25-2013, 07:22 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by M3RV View Post
    You and your fancy digital shizzle.

Though, what benefit is there to having a dedicated soundcard doing digital processing vs the on-board chip doing it? Just different format (I'll call it that for now until i'm corrected) support? Because it's just processing data, not going through amps or anything.
    onboard and things like the DG will only send dual channel audio over the digital connection (unless the source media is already encoded for dolby/DTS 5.1/7.1) meaning you are only getting Dolby pro logic sound from the surround sound system defeating the point of a surround sound system.

where by using a card that can encode as DTS interactive or Dolby Live, it can take all 6/8 channels in real time and encode them as Dobly/DTS so when the box decodes it you are giving it instructions for every channel assuming the game supports 6/8 channel sound. so basically you get the full use out of the surround sound system.

it's basically the same as comparing connecting a stereo analog signal to a surround sound system, then connecting the 3 or 4 connections from a 5.1/7.1 sound card/chip to a surround sound set of speakers.

actually been using a Xonar D2X for a few years now because of this, since my surround sound system is one designed around TV's and stuff instead of PC's, so it doesn't have the 6 channel direct connection, so I need the signal encoded going to it to get all 6 channels of sound.