Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > World of Warcraft Guild (EU) > Raids and Events > 25 Man Raid Team

#1   Report Post  
    Old 08-24-2010, 09:17 PM

Default Team Uber Report 24/08/2010

[url]http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/44k7d9055jv3qzl1/[/url]
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 08-25-2010, 11:56 AM

Interesting reading. During the raid i thought i was doing quite well on the heling front, but that log shows me to be bottom on healing for every boss. Is this because the other raid leaders were doing so well or am i missing somehting? No one seemed to die through lack of heals but i would like to think i made a contribution somewhere!! So any tips for 25 man raid healing??
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 08-25-2010, 01:24 PM

Having perused the log, I'd say your low healing is down to the spells you're using.

Festergut is the most healing-intenstive fight we did last night. Over 40% of your healing came from Lesser Healing Wave, which is a 1.5s heal that hits for around 3k, so less than a Flash Heal or a Flash of Light, and almost 70% of the healing done by this spell was overhealing, which means it was completely wasted.

When you're raid healing, unless you've been assigned a very specific task, you are effectlely competing with other raid healers some of the time. The key is to play to your strengths. From the logs, it looks like most of your Lesser Healing Wave casts landed after someone else had already landed a heal, making it completely pointless.

The entire reason a Shaman makes a great raid healer is Chain Heal. This accounted for around 8% of your healing, whereas it comprised about 40% of Rutar's. Chain Heal is an incredibly powerful spell, especially when glyphed. Rather than relying on you choosing who to heal, it chooses its Chainees based on who needs the healing most. It can also proc Earthliving Weapon, Trauma and various Trinkets on each person it hits. You should be casting Riptide, for the funky buff it gives, then Chain Heal. This will make you an effective raid healer.

Healing is not always about casting the spells that give the biggest numbers. Its about making sure that your healing goes to where its most needed. There are few spells as poweful as Chain Heal for achieving this, and it should be the one you're casting most of the time on a fight like Festergut. Remember: Smart healing is good, overhealing is not.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 08-25-2010, 02:47 PM

More chain heal. More more more.
    Unless you're on the move (when you can use riptide/earth shield) or you're healing somoene on their own (either becuase they're seperated or because no one else has taken damage) chain heal is awesomes.

As darieth said it's a smart heal, so it will pick the most vulnerable targets for you, it also has a chance on each bounce to proc earhtliving, ancestral healing, improved water shield plus any other trinkets/armour bonuses you might have.

There's other tricks to shammy healing, but try stepping up your chain heal spam and see how you get on

EDIT: healing stream totem as well, unless you have no pally with impBoW
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 08-25-2010, 04:40 PM

On festergut one of the most effective uses of a resto shaman is bouncing chain heal off the melee. Just spam it on the melee when fester doesn't have many stacks of inhale blight, and you will do sick amounts of healing.

Lesser Healing Wave is your spot healing tool, and it's great on fights where random, people take relatively irregular spikes of damage. Stuff like the Shadowbolts on Lady Deathwhisper - those are great candidates for lesser healing wave.

I am by no means a great healer (I don't think), but what I have learnt from experience is that healing is much more about picking the right tool for the job than dps or tanking is, where you pretty much just spam the most effective sequence of buttons. Knowing the fights well is key. Darieth is right though, as a shaman if you are assigned to raid heal, on most fights chain heal will be a MASSIVE portion of your overall healing.

On my shammy when I raid healed on Toravon in VoA 25, I pretty much cast riptide and funnelled chain heal through it, and those were the only two active heal buttons I pressed, the rest just came from chain heal and earthliving procs, with some ancestral awakening thrown in for good measure.

Generally though, meters can be a very poor guidance for new healers, especially from healers who are used to looking at damage meters as DPS or tanks. The more healers you take, the lower everyone's HPS will be, if some healers are stupidly fast, chances are they will snipe your heals.

Getting a good set of raid frames is a must. On my druid I have Vuhdo setup to show me who has Power Word Shield on them, and this is a serious boost to your effective healing. Essentially, on fights with alot of relatively constant damage being thrown around, prioritise your heals on people who DON'T have PW:S on them - they will need it more urgently than people with some overpowered 14k absorbtion shield on them, and yes, disc priest shields really can get that powerful (and more) thanks to amazing gear and the hilarious ICC buff.

Get a method worked out - many disc priests start at the top of group 1 and work down the raid that way, moving down grp 1 from top to bottom then moving onto grp 2 etc. As a druid therefore, on fights with constant damage auras like Lanathel, I start hotting from the top of group 5, and working backwards, meeting the disc priests in the middle. This means that groups 1 and 2, and some of 3 have shields absorbing damage, while damage being taken by group 4, 5 and the other part of 3 is being healed by my hots.

Cooperation is key in 25 man raid healing - DPS often try to compete with each other to get higher on the numbers etc, but if there is anything I have learnt from healing so far, it's that healing is one of the most teamwork reliant aspects of the raid game - you need to communicate, you need to understand how the other healers work and cover for them.

Healers are like a big cuddly happy family of love and green numbers!
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 08-26-2010, 07:16 AM

cheers for teh tips folks, hopefull yi'll be able to put those into practice next week.