Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Games

#1   Report Post  
    Old 11-22-2012, 07:39 AM

Default crusader kings 2 - HELP!

Well since crusader kings II was on sale I picked it up and oh my...I remember thinking civ 1 was complicated...it has nothing on this. So I have gone through all the beginer tutorials and I feel like I know nothing...what is the best way to learn this. I found the manual online, should I just dive in and read it? Should I go through the rest of the tutorials?

Which ever one I do what is the best person to take control of once I start a game? I assume a small person somewhere maybe an independent. Is this accurate?

Thanks for any help you can provide!
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 11-22-2012, 08:48 AM

I know where you are coming from here, CK2 can be an arse to get into when you first play it. I found a tutorial on Youtube that helped me here: [url]http://www.youtube.com/user/TekkorGJC[/url]

Just go to his playlist and look for the Crusader King 2 tutorial series, its a few months old now but will give you a good grasp of the basics. Hope this helps you enjoy an amazing game! He also does a CK2 let's play series that is part teaching for the first few episodes but they probably won't be that helpful.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 11-22-2012, 10:08 AM

Add this geezer's vids, too:

SeeKayEm99
    [url]http://www.youtube.com/user/SeeKayEm99[/url]
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 11-22-2012, 12:11 PM

Welcome to paradox strategy games; you thought SSI stuff was hard, you poor fool

On a serious note: CK2 is increadably fun, and remarkably simple - assuming you go through *ALL* the tutorials. You're gonna have to read a lot before you start playing - just be thankful it isn't CK1, or EU3 neither of which have any tutorials as such. Prepair to fail horrifically your first game. Read the entirety of the CK2 playthrough on this very site if you haven't already, it drops a good overview in amonst the creative licence and storytelling.

As far as difficulty goes - you want a small nation to start out so you're not overwhelmed with options, but not so small your military options are a small rabbit or a bloke with a dog called rovér. My advice would be the Duke of Gwynedd. You start with 2 or 3 provinces, a full court, no major wars, your family is prestigious enough to marry off to royal family's children, and with a couple of swift wars to the south and some buttering up of the Duke of Powys (assuming my memory is correct) it's possible to become King of Wales inside the first ruler's lifespan if luck is on your side.

And if all else fails, send me a PM with your steam name and I'll see if I can provide some advice; I've been playing a lot of CK2 recently

Followz me on ze twitterz - @ctrlphr34k
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 11-22-2012, 03:59 PM

Read the manual. And the wiki. And the Paradox forums. Enjoy.

Edit:

I agree, the CK2 diary here is very good. Sometimes when playing you can't see the big picture for the details, which is a shame since the big picture is what it is all about - the PCG diary is a good way of seeing a big story unfold.
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 11-22-2012, 06:17 PM

Thanks for all the help guys! I will try out your suggestions! Not sure what you mean by ssi but yeah firaxis games were my go to on strategy games before this. Heh....so yeah this is a GIANT LEAP up. Not that, that is a bad thing.

Did read through the story here and almost bought it after reading through that as it was wonderful. So when it was on sale couldn't resist. As an RPG and strategy lover this really seems to have the best of both worlds...massively deep strategy and possibility for wonderful story.
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 11-22-2012, 06:29 PM

Tekk's Tavern, that's how I learned.
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 11-29-2012, 03:32 AM

ok going to start my first game as wales...will start a new thread about the game and post as I go along should be interesting hopefully
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 11-30-2012, 04:12 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to ShaneBorge14

finding your new thread...
    www.cursedmech.com Cursed MECH is an action packed tower defense game. 1/2 Tower Defense 1/2 Twin Stick Slasher/Shooter. Run around in your Giant MECH, build turrets, hack, slash and shoot monsters to defend mankind.