Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Games

#161   Report Post  
    Old 11-21-2012, 07:56 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sir.Talbot View Post
    It's funny because now I will play Blood Money and ignore this. Never played a Hitman game.
    Nothing wrong with that. Blood Money is one of my all time favorite games and for good reason.....
      #162   Report Post  
    Old 11-22-2012, 08:54 AM

Ok quick update. I played it a few minutes today when I got home a few minutes ago and it crashed and hard locked my main rig three times. Had no issues so far on my HTPC though.
    i7 3770k @ 4.4ghz | Z77 sabertooth | 2x GTX 680 4gb SLI | 16gb 2133mhz ram | 120gb force 3 ssd (programs) 256 force pro ssd (games) 120gb vertex ssd (game captures) | 2 + 4tb hdd | 2x DVD- RW | X-Fi Fatality | 1000w PSU | Cosmos 2 case

HTPC Rig
    i7 960 @ 4.0ghz | SLI GTX 580's | 12gb DDR3 1600MHZ Ram | GA-X58-UD5 | F60 ssd | force 3 120gb SSD (for games) | 2tb HDD | 4tb HDD (DVR) | infini TV quad tuner | blu-ray RW | 850w PSU | DH-103 case
      #163   Report Post  
    Old 11-22-2012, 10:40 PM

I'm enjoying it, it's no blood money, but the flow of the hits is not too bad. the doors thing i can understand, but it's not gamebreaking. disguises are a bit more of a pain in the ass, some levels do seem to lean towards mass carnage.
    Checkpoints i feel are a bit of a freedom that has been revoked. the angle of choice (aka limited saves) seems a bit daft, unless you were to count them towards an entire level, which can spread over many 'doors'. i am enjoying it, delved into contracts mode a couple of times and this is a decent way to keep the game fresh. i'd have personally scored it a little higher, probably in the region of 80-85 as blood money is a good bar to set on what a hitman game was capable of.

systems wise - i run skyrim full pelt with umpteen graphical mods and it runs fine. same with absolution. no drama whatsoever.

i'd recommend it.

PCG Game Club
    Steam

Also on Origin
      #164   Report Post  
    Old 11-23-2012, 01:02 AM

I was going to write a new topic and get a discussion going about a Hitman: Absolution review written by Tom Francis for PC Gamer, but I can tell that other people may already have given this issue some thought, so I'm throwing my two cents in the pot as well.

Tom Francis published [URL="http://www.pcgamer.com/review/hitman-absolution-review/"]this article[/URL] reviewing Hitman: Absolution for PC Gamer, and while I'm not a writer or a professional critic, I have no trouble distinguishing this article from that of the writings of an angry child. Notwithstanding his uplifting and fair attitude towards game devs, Mr. Tom the Dumb made IO's product sound effortless to create and an horrible experience to boot. I'm sorry, I didn't mean anything by it mr. Francis. This article is not a review, it's an attack on a product that in my opinion doesn't deserve to be treated like a bad resturant meal, and I don't seem to be the only one to think so.

My personal opinion is that Mr. Francis should retract and or re-write his article. The fact that a large majority of gamers are, like most people, marginalized and are without moral standards or long term goals have never been disputed, and that it makes it easier for any sort of public induvidual (or in this case web people) to treat their work like garbage and call it a bad day. People are reading these articles, you know. If it's your goal to treat your work like garbage Mr. Francis, good luck! But don't dish on a game developer that have spent thousands of hours creating a series of computer games all highly successful and with their very own Hollywood movie adaptation. In my circle we call that hard work, and no doubt a cult classic in yours.
      #165   Report Post  
    Old 11-23-2012, 07:13 AM

Quote:
    But don't dish on a game developer that have spent thousands of hours creating a series of computer games all highly successful and with their very own Hollywood movie adaptation. In my circle we call that hard work, and no doubt a cult classic in yours.
    so wait, what you're saying is that they tried hard, so we should give them a break for a sub-par hitman game?

It's like the bankers, i mean they partied really hard so we should just, you know, give em bonuses anyway.....

I'd suggest you go back and re-read the review. It is anything but an out-and-out attack and he goes out of his way to give examples for each point and put it into context of the series as a whole (a completely valid framing reference).

He also says, were it not a hitman game that it'd be an above average murder stealth sim. Something many ..... proponents of the game like to miss out in their vitriolic stupor.

I'll probably get the game myself, as it does look shiny (boom boom), but not until it's ~£5.

-------
    An irreverent look at gaming, and film; www.TheFunTurret.com
      #166   Report Post  
    Old 11-23-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iignition View Post
    This article is not a review, it's an attack on a product that in my opinion doesn't deserve to be treated like a bad resturant meal, and I don't seem to be the only one to think so.

My personal opinion is that Mr. Francis should retract and or re-write his article. The fact that a large majority of gamers are, like most people, marginalized and are without moral standards or long term goals have never been disputed, and that it makes it easier for any sort of public induvidual (or in this case web people) to treat their work like garbage and call it a bad day. People are reading these articles, you know. If it's your goal to treat your work like garbage Mr. Francis, good luck! But don't dish on a game developer that have spent thousands of hours creating a series of computer games all highly successful and with their very own Hollywood movie adaptation. In my circle we call that hard work, and no doubt a cult classic in yours.
    So because you don't agree with Toms review he should retract it? Are we living in a country without free speech now? Where if someone reviews a game and you disagree with it, it should be retracted? If a reviewer thinks a game is rubbish, I want to know about it, and then I take that review into consideration (along with others) and decide if the game is for me or not. I don't hang my world on one persons review, because it's exactly that, one persons opinion of the game. Do I expect my opinions to always agree with reviewers? No, of course not, but I don't start demanding that the review be taken down, as I have long ago accepted that the world does not revolve around me and that anyone who thinks differently to me is not nessecarily wrong by default. Others, it seems, are less able to accept this.

Plus your comment about "hard work" being a consideration of a review are just strange - by that definition ANYTHING that has ever been created and reviewed should receive a high score because they all involved someone investing hours of their life to create it (be it a film, a book, a game, music etc..). If a company invests hundreds of hours and comes up with a game that plays badly, has bugs, lacks storyline, is unimaginitive (I'm not specifically talking about Absolution here) then they should be reviewed accordingly. To shrug your shoulders at a rubbish game and say "well, they put the hours in making it so I'll give a 9/10 anyway" is, like I said, a strange way of reviewing something.

Edit : I missed the bit about treating the game like a bad restaurant meal.... So if you pay £30 for a steak with the works in an upmarket restaurant and the steak is tough, or the chips have been overcooked, you wouldn't complain? Or if you were a food critic you wouldn't write up the restaurant in a negative way? Or would you when asked by the waiter if the meal was alright, smile through gritted teeth and say "it's fantastic thanks, I really appreciate the time it took to put it together and cook it".

Last edited by dannyboyslim; 11-23-2012 at 03:34 PM.
      #167   Report Post  
    Old 02-20-2013, 07:32 PM

Default Too Harsh

I've played both BM and Absolution. I must say I really could not understand the review. It WAS Very harsh and simply inaccurate in many respects. Absolution, for instance runs fine on my PC which is over 5 years old now. I'm certainly getting more than 15 Fps! Secondly the game is very similar to Bm (who's levels were also very small). The gameplay is almost exactly the same with multiple ways to take out targets. Overall it's one of the strongest Hitman games easily on par with it's predecessor. Indecently Ign gave the PC version 9 out of Ten. Rated amazing. Which seems much fairer. I'm sorry gamers reviewer didn't like it. I suspect he played an unfinished version. But his loss. In short it's a fine game.
      #168   Report Post  
    Old 02-20-2013, 07:34 PM
    Banned

I am currently playing about with Bloodmoney and it really isn't a patch on absolution.
      #169   Report Post  
    Old 02-22-2013, 02:14 AM

I haven't dwelled into absolution much but having played blood money and loving it I am still on the 2nd mission like an hour in because I don't want to get those minus points which hurt my experience I want a perfect score. And even though you don't get seen at all you will still lose points for knocking that civilian out for his clothes. It should be on how much evidence you left behind not how you played. Should have more ways to hide stuff.
      #170   Report Post  
    Old 02-28-2013, 06:20 AM
    Banned

As far as I know that Hitman Absolution is the newest launch in the Hitman series. The game has presented many new components for gamers to advantage from, but the best of all is the new multi-player design agreements or contracts mod.