Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Games

#41   Report Post  
    Old 11-19-2012, 07:04 AM

Im to scared to play it :<

But I do love the speed of the combat and its apparent difficulty level. Maybe a Steam Sale for me.
      #42   Report Post  
    Old 11-19-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thequillguy View Post
    This game made me think about how some if I'm going to spend 100s of hours on a hobby, it isn't a game of grinding. I like hardcore 'if you die, that's it' games: makes the precious time mean something. For me, Day Z gives a buzz. This game is, so far, frustrating to the point of boredom.
    That's part of the draw for me. The level of satisfaction you feel after beating a part you were trying over and over again for an hour or two is unrivaled, but I've always been a fan of extremely challenging games.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shriven View Post
    Im to scared to play it :<

But I do love the speed of the combat and its apparent difficulty level. Maybe a Steam Sale for me.
    It's not that hard. It's more similar to games back in the 90's early 2000's that actually took a bit of skill to beat which I think a lot of gamers currently are so used to being hand held and steamrolling through games that they can't stand the thought of dying multiple times in one area of a game. If you played any of the early sonics or super mario bros. where some parts took you over and over again to beat then you'll really like this game. You just need to snap out of the call of duty, assassin's creed, (insert other stupid easy mainstream title here) mindset and you'll really like it.

Badcompany 2- xJakex068

Specs:
    Windows 7 64bit
    Antech truepower 650 watt psu
    8 gb ram
    HIS Hd radeon 5770 OC'ed to 950 gpu clock/1350 memory clock
    Intel core i5 3570k
    gigabyte z77-d3h
    500 gb western digital hd

Last edited by xJakex068; 11-19-2012 at 09:37 AM.
      #43   Report Post  
    Old 11-19-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by xJakex068 View Post
    That's part of the draw for me. The level of satisfaction you feel after beating a part you were trying over and over again for an hour or two is unrivaled, but I've always been a fan of extremely challenging games.
    The thing is a lot of gamers don't feel this way, if I spend a couple of hours trying to get past a certain encounter I won't feel joy once I finally beat it but just relief that I never have to do that again. I want games to allow me to play for a couple of hours and at least get some sense of progression whether it be moving on a few levels, making my character more powerful, getting new items etc. but if my only reward is that I have finally gotten past one section of the game then I am unlikely to want to continue.

And if this makes some people want to tell me that it's just because the game is too hard for me then knock yourselves out, if you want to feel superior because you enjoy a different type of game then bully for you but just keep in mind that just because you like a game doesn't mean that everyone will like it. For the reasons I have given and the fact that I refuse to support a company that can't be arsed to make a proper port I will never play Dark Souls.
      #44   Report Post  
    Old 11-19-2012, 07:46 PM

Good point by previous poster. I remember the joy of beating games that required me to restart a certain part several times (platformers being the exact one.) However, I feel that expectations of gameplay have progressed to the point where it is possible to not die more than 3-4 times in a place and still move on.

On the occasions where I did beat a part after trying 100s of times, I would be a little miffed if I wasn't able to get passed there again. I love watching 'I wanna be the guy' parody videos, only because the player manages to clock a certain part, but then it is apparent that it required luck from perseverance, and they die repeatedly at a previous point.

I only get to spend 15-60 minutes an evening on hobbies; if that time is spent for a week constantly getting past a part, I've yet to find that enjoyable. I can see how it could be, though, and I might come back to it. Last night, I almost shivered to death with the hypothermia mod, and manage to stealth a bandit camp, shooting a dude in the eye before warming myself by the fire. 15 minutes of gameplay, and I remember it even now.
      #45   Report Post  
    Old 11-20-2012, 01:11 AM

Wink

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Acroman View Post
    The thing is a lot of gamers don't feel this way, if I spend a couple of hours trying to get past a certain encounter I won't feel joy once I finally beat it but just relief that I never have to do that again. I want games to allow me to play for a couple of hours and at least get some sense of progression whether it be moving on a few levels, making my character more powerful, getting new items etc. but if my only reward is that I have finally gotten past one section of the game then I am unlikely to want to continue.

And if this makes some people want to tell me that it's just because the game is too hard for me then knock yourselves out, if you want to feel superior because you enjoy a different type of game then bully for you but just keep in mind that just because you like a game doesn't mean that everyone will like it. For the reasons I have given and the fact that I refuse to support a company that can't be arsed to make a proper port I will never play Dark Souls.
    I know you don't want to hear it, but what you said is the exact definition of this game being too hard for you. You enjoy games that don't take much effort to progress in and their's nothing wrong with that, but saying you're not turned off by this game because it's too hard is a bit of backwards logic.

And in all honesty, is it really progression if it takes no challenge to get there? For me, it isn't. Getting to a new level or getting a new weapon that took no challenge or hardship for me to overcome just doesn't cut it for me. I get bored rather quickly with this design, which is a pretty good explanation for all the steam games I bought the past year with only 1-2 hours of play time.

“Success is sweet and sweeter if long delayed and gotten through many struggles and defeats.” (Yes I just googled that ) But it fits what I'm trying to say. What is an achievement if their's no great hardship to overcome in order to get there?

Badcompany 2- xJakex068

Specs:
    Windows 7 64bit
    8 gb ram
    Intel core i5 3570k
    gigabyte z77-d3h
      #46   Report Post  
    Old 11-20-2012, 02:37 AM

Quote:
    I know you don't want to hear it, but what you said is the exact definition of this game being too hard for you. You enjoy games that don't take much effort to progress in and their's nothing wrong with that, but saying you're not turned off by this game because it's too hard is a bit of backwards logic.

And in all honesty, is it really progression if it takes no challenge to get there? For me, it isn't. Getting to a new level or getting a new weapon that took no challenge or hardship for me to overcome just doesn't cut it for me. I get bored rather quickly with this design, which is a pretty good explanation for all the steam games I bought the past year with only 1-2 hours of play time.

“Success is sweet and sweeter if long delayed and gotten through many struggles and defeats.” (Yes I just googled that ) But it fits what I'm trying to say. What is an achievement if their's no great hardship to overcome in order to get there?
    He said nothing about it being too hard for him. What he said is that he likes to make progress and he likes to be rewarded for that progress. Which is a completely normal for most humans. If you feel like the progress you are making isn't worth the reward then it's as simple as that. That doesn't mean the game is too hard for him or will be too hard for him. It simply means that it isn't worth his time and effort because the payoff isn't great enough.

I personally haven't played the game, so I cannot comment on the difficulty. However, I'll use Super Meat Boy as an example. In case you haven't played it, it's a very challenging platformer that requires perfect timing and jumping and angles, etc, etc ,etc. While I was eventually able to get through it, I felt no sense of accomplishment. Rather, I was glad that it was over because it was completely frustrating and gave me no satisfactory reward (in my opinion).

Stop calling people out for not liking the game and stooping down to saying that it's just too hard for them. We all have different tastes and wants. Just because people don't like it, doesn't take anything away from it that you feel. Just enjoy the game.

| AsRock Extreme3 Gen3 | Intel Core i5 2500K (Stock Cooler) | 8GB G.Skill DDR3 | Sapphire HD 7970 | 1TB WD Caviar Green | 5 TB WD External | Corsair 750HX PSU | Asus Xonar DS | NZXT Phantom | Tt Ultimate Challenger Keyboard | Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | Windows 8.1 Professional 64bit | Logitech z623 Sound System |

Steam
      #47   Report Post  
    Old 11-20-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:

We get it, you like the game. But it seems you started this thread so you could quote everyone who disagrees with you and tell them they just don't like it because it is too hard for them. Many others in this thread have other, perfectly legitimate, reasons to not like/play the game and despite what you may think "it's too hard" is very rarely the actual reason.

Learn to accept others reasons for disliking or not playing your favourite game, it will make you a better person in the long run.
      #48   Report Post  
    Old 11-20-2012, 10:31 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Acroman View Post
    We get it, you like the game. But it seems you started this thread so you could quote everyone who disagrees with you and tell them they just don't like it because it is too hard for them. Many others in this thread have other, perfectly legitimate, reasons to not like/play the game and despite what you may think "it's too hard" is very rarely the actual reason.

Learn to accept others reasons for disliking or not playing your favourite game, it will make you a better person in the long run.
    Why are you getting so sore? You stated you like playing games that doesn't take much effort, therefore the game is too hard for your liking. Just like games that don't take much effort are too easy for me. We may have the exact same skill level in said games, I just enjoy more difficult games. I'm merely stating the reason why you think the game is bad, which, IMO, is what makes this game great. I never stated the game being too hard for someone as a bad thing.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PioneerRaptor View Post
    Stop calling people out for not liking the game and stooping down to saying that it's just too hard for them. We all have different tastes and wants. Just because people don't like it, doesn't take anything away from it that you feel. Just enjoy the game.
    I'm not. I'm making an argument defending something that he said is bad about the game. What's wrong with having a friendly argument? No need to get your panties in a bunch over it.

And dark souls being too hard for somebody is a 100% legitimate debatable fact. Their's a reason it's such a niche title, and it's because it's too hard for the majority of gamers. That doesn't make the game not good (which is my argument) just that it's hard to get into for a lot of people.

There's a load of games I don't play because I'm not any good at them and they're hard. The original starcraft, counter strike, and company of heroes multiplayer come to mind, but their's no shame in admitting they're too hard for me to play. They're video games, I'm not taking a shot at your manhood or pride just bringing up the reason that you may not have liked the game due to it's difficulty.

Badcompany 2- xJakex068

Specs:
    Windows 7 64bit
    8 gb ram
    Intel core i5 3570k
    gigabyte z77-d3h

Last edited by xJakex068; 11-20-2012 at 10:36 PM.
      #49   Report Post  
    Old 11-20-2012, 11:53 PM

Quote:
    Why are you getting so sore? You stated you like playing games that doesn't take much effort, therefore the game is too hard for your liking. Just like games that don't take much effort are too easy for me. We may have the exact same skill level in said games, I just enjoy more difficult games. I'm merely stating the reason why you think the game is bad, which, IMO, is what makes this game great. I never stated the game being too hard for someone as a bad thing.

I'm not. I'm making an argument defending something that he said is bad about the game. What's wrong with having a friendly argument? No need to get your panties in a bunch over it.

And dark souls being too hard for somebody is a 100% legitimate debatable fact. Their's a reason it's such a niche title, and it's because it's too hard for the majority of gamers. That doesn't make the game not good (which is my argument) just that it's hard to get into for a lot of people.

There's a load of games I don't play because I'm not any good at them and they're hard. The original starcraft, counter strike, and company of heroes multiplayer come to mind, but their's no shame in admitting they're too hard for me to play. They're video games, I'm not taking a shot at your manhood or pride just bringing up the reason that you may not have liked the game due to it's difficulty.
    I agree that the game may be to hard for certain players. However, you are ignoring people's reasons for not liking the game and just claiming that it is because the game is too hard. Wanting to have constant progression and reward does not translate into "I only play easy games." You can have progression with difficulty and you can reward the players when they overcome that difficulty play.

| AsRock Extreme3 Gen3 | Intel Core i5 2500K (Stock Cooler) | 8GB G.Skill DDR3 | Sapphire HD 7970 | 1TB WD Caviar Green | 5 TB WD External | Corsair 750HX PSU | Asus Xonar DS | NZXT Phantom | Tt Ultimate Challenger Keyboard | Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | Windows 8.1 Professional 64bit | Logitech z623 Sound System |

Steam
      #50   Report Post  
    Old 11-21-2012, 12:23 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PioneerRaptor View Post
    I agree that the game may be to hard for certain players. However, you are ignoring people's reasons for not liking the game and just claiming that it is because the game is too hard. Wanting to have constant progression and reward does not translate into "I only play easy games." You can have progression with difficulty and you can reward the players when they overcome that difficulty play.
    Sure you can have progression with difficulty, but whenever you get difficulty like dark souls, It's extremely hard to progress = game being too hard for somebody.

Badcompany 2- xJakex068

Specs:
    Windows 7 64bit
    8 gb ram
    Intel core i5 3570k
    gigabyte z77-d3h