Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Off topic

#161   Report Post  
    Old 11-16-2012, 02:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to Megazell Send a message via MSN to Megazell Send a message via Skype™ to Megazell

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tykh02 View Post
    Finished Book 5 of a Song of Ice and Fire...

... Why does he do it?! Haha. Well, the endings have made me want to read his next book eagerly to see where he goes from here! 2015, hurry up will you!

I've started reading Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter. And then I'm going for World War Z. Film looks alright, apart from the stupid CGI Zombie Waves...
    The trailer looks like it has NOTHING to do with book in any aspect outside of zombies being involved but it looks more like it's just infected ppl.

My read list for this last week is long but I wanted to recommend to series to all of the readers here:

Day by Day Armageddon by J. L. Bourne
    Beyond Exile - Day by Day Armageddon by J. L. Bourne
    Day by Day Armageddon: Shattered Hourglass by J L Bourne

Excellent science fiction series about living a world of zombies told in a journal format. It was originally an online thing then it became a book. I have one of the first editions that actually came with burns, rips, wet pages and clipped mementos as described in the book.

another reccomend

The Outpost by Mike Resnick

Personal favorite - The Outpost is a bar at the edge of the galaxy, in the area known as the Inner Frontier. It attracts the exceptional and extraordinary who, while drinking and relaxing, share stories of their lives.

The novel is divided into 3 sections: Legend, Fact, and History. In Legend, the characters tell stories of what they were doing before they arrived and about people they met and things they did. The storytelling is interrupted by an alien invasion of the system, to which the heroes react. The History section sees everyone gathered back at the Outpost to share their stories and find out the fates of the others.

^ My oldest kid is reading it now and she is ABSORBED into all of the little nuances of the story.
      #162   Report Post  
    Old 11-16-2012, 03:04 PM

sound really interesting those mega, i'll check them out after i've finished abercrombe's latest.

-------
    An irreverent look at gaming, and film; www.TheFunTurret.com
      #163   Report Post  
    Old 11-16-2012, 09:22 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tykh02 View Post
    Finished Book 5 of a Song of Ice and Fire...

... Why does he do it?! Haha. Well, the endings have made me want to read his next book eagerly to see where he goes from here! 2015, hurry up will you!
    It's so annoying right? It's like you're so hyped reading the last few pages then suddenly BAM! END. There are so many unanswered stuff in that book. I can't wait for the next book.

Hey Xand, if you can read this, thank you for posting about The Warlord Chronicles. It's the most epic thing I have read since A Song of Ice and Fire. Currently in the first 100 pages and I'm already loving it.
      #164   Report Post  
    Old 11-18-2012, 06:50 PM

Currently reading through [URL="http://www.amazon.com/Controlling-Desires-Sexuality-Ancient-Praeger/dp/0275988805"]Controlling Desires:Sexuality in Ancient Greece and Rome[/URL] for a research paper on the topic of ancient Greek homosexuality. Absolutely fascinating stuff that; the ancient Greeks' stance on sexuality is so vastly different from the modern as to be totally alien.

#165   Report Post  
    Old 11-18-2012, 07:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to Megazell Send a message via MSN to Megazell Send a message via Skype™ to Megazell

^ Sounds good. I'll add that to my stack.
      #166   Report Post  
    Old 11-27-2012, 01:07 AM

Daddy Cool - Graphic Novel by Donald Goines <- Reading
    Super Patriot: Liberty and Justice by Griffen, Bierbaum and Johnson <- Read
    The Underwater Welder by Jeff Lemire <- Excellent book <- Read
    A Game For Swallows: To Die, To Leave, To Return by Zeina Abirached <- Reading
    Way Of The Rat - The Walls of Zhumar! by Chuck Dixon, Jeff Johnson and Tom Ryder. <- Read
    Way Of The Rat - Dragons Wake by Chuck Dixon, Jeff Johnson and Tom Ryder. <- Read
    The Question: PeaceMaker by Dennis O'Neal, Denys Cowan and Malcolm Jones III <- Read
    Amazing High Adventure: Short Stories Collection <- Reading
    The Astounding Wolfman Vol 1, 2, 3 and 4 by Robert Kirkman and Jason Howard <- Reading
    Midnighter Vol 1, 2 and 3 by Garth Ennis, Chris Sprouse, Peter Snejbjerg, Glenn Fabry, and Karl Story <- Reading
    The Portable Roman Reader: The Culture of the Roman State by Basil Davenport <- Reading
    Pathfinder Tales: Prince of Wolves by Dave Gross <- Reading - Also started playing the game with some new friends and I'm really getting into the lore.
      #167   Report Post  
    Old 11-28-2012, 04:54 PM

just finally finished A Clash of Kings and have started A Storm of Swords. I'm wondering how the differences in the show and books are gonna work out. looking forward to both.

Looking 4 Indie bundles? http://steamcommunity.com/groups/IndieBundleTracker
      #168   Report Post  
    Old 11-28-2012, 08:47 PM
    Banned

Quote:
    Originally Posted by consigliere94 View Post
    Hey Xand, if you can read this, thank you for posting about The Warlord Chronicles. It's the most epic thing I have read since A Song of Ice and Fire. Currently in the first 100 pages and I'm already loving it.
    Not a problem at all mate, I was hooked on it. It's got all of the same scheming and desperate politics and power struggles as the Game of Thrones books, albeit with a Dark Age feel instead of feudal. Not to mention it was fascinating seeing Bernard Cornwell's take on the various Arthurian characters, and pretty shocking at times. He'd obviously done a lot of research into it. If you like the Total War games at all there's a mod called Arthurian Total War for Rome Total War that captures the feel of the Warlord Chronicles.
      #169   Report Post  
    Old 11-28-2012, 09:32 PM

David Hume - A Treatise of Human Nature. Sometimes I like feeling philosophical and s*** ) Jokes aside, quite an interesting book, that take some time to ...digest, so to speak. About a century or so ))
    Geforce GTX485M @ 2GB
    12GB RAM @ 1600Mhz
    250GB SSD
      #170   Report Post  
    Old 11-29-2012, 08:19 AM

Quote:
    just finally finished A Clash of Kings and have started A Storm of Swords. I'm wondering how the differences in the show and books are gonna work out. looking forward to both
    I heard series 2 goes off track a bit... I have it to watch, but a few friends of mine stopped watching it for one reason or another.

Probably too much going on, like in the books.

I finished Red Country by Joe Abercrombie. Little bit disappointed by it to be fair. I found it quite hard to read as the language (not the cussing) didn't flow well. To be honest, I think that was the intention as Joe was going for a proper "Western" feel to the book. I loved the characters, it was great seeing so many popping up, and the last chapter was tense, but it just didn't feel as good as his previous works.

I won't give up on him yet though, because I do love the world and characters just too much.

Now to finish Abe Lincoln. I'm enjoying it