Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Games

#91   Report Post  
    Old 11-17-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LE5LO View Post
    I believe the word you're looking for is irony, not ironing.
    The word ironing is intentional. It's a meme.

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD8ZtM1sWgI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD8ZtM1sWgI[/URL]
      #92   Report Post  
    Old 11-17-2012, 03:28 PM

Indeed the ironing is deliberate. bit hard to iron by accident....

Mega muffin. You've called tf a liar many times, yet I'm unable to see what he's actually lied about.

Kindly post your objections and highlight the lie in a short bullet fashion; there's far too much hyperbole being thrown around here.

-------
    An irreverent look at gaming, and film; www.TheFunTurret.com
      #93   Report Post  
    Old 11-17-2012, 03:36 PM

lol Gamespot gave it a 7.5

Confirms it then.

I'll pass I watched the review and it looked as shit as I thought.
      #94   Report Post  
    Old 11-17-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spatula View Post

Mega muffin. You've called tf a liar many times, yet I'm unable to see what he's actually lied about.

Kindly post your objections and highlight the lie in a short bullet fashion; there's far too much hyperbole being thrown around here.
    Well you haven't read my posts then
      #95   Report Post  
    Old 11-17-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:

- In the review Tom states that the C4 cannot be thrown, placed inside containers, or stuck onto things in the game and that this is part of a 'travesty and is untrue to the hitman name'
    - This entire statement is completely untrue, as I have seen 2 videos on youtube of gameplay fragments with Agent 47 doing all of those things listed
    - It may seem to be only a small, unimportant lie, but in a review which is so strongly opinion and not much facts on the gameplay aspects of Hitman, even a single 'lie' about the gameplay features makes me question both the thoroughness of the review, and the reviewer in question having dismissed key gameplay mechanics.

I hope that clears it up for you.
      #96   Report Post  
    Old 11-17-2012, 08:18 PM

Ok- one question. Are those videos of the pc, or the console versions. These kind of issues are highly
    Possible/likely in ports.

Secondly, Ask yourself this, on such a stupendously easy thing to check/verify, what possible reason would he have to lie about this point?

-------
    An irreverent look at gaming, and film; www.TheFunTurret.com
      #97   Report Post  
    Old 11-17-2012, 08:23 PM
    Grand Inquisitor

Send a message via Skype™ to SAeN

Incidentally, if anyone is grown up enough to not be arguing over a review, here is some footage from the PC version: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lw-EajsObOo[/url]
      #98   Report Post  
    Old 11-17-2012, 10:46 PM

Quote:
    Ok- one question. Are those videos of the pc, or the console versions. These kind of issues are highly
    Possible/likely in ports.

Secondly, Ask yourself this, on such a stupendously easy thing to check/verify, what possible reason would he have to lie about this point?
    Okay, there we go, what possible reason is there to lie about it, so if he hasn't lied then he just hasn't reviewed the game properly. Either way it's not an acceptable to make a strong comment on something that apparently isn't in the game when it actually is.
      #99   Report Post  
    Old 11-18-2012, 12:37 AM

Well I can't get to sleep so here goes. I am astounded by how personal the abuse towards Tom Francis has been based on this review. Especially as the score wasn't that awful, just a bit disappointing. I feel compelled to answer the original points made against the review. I haven't played the game, I have read the review, I have played other Hitman games.

1. The game has a scoring system that acts as a disincentive to killing guards.
    Tom mentioned the fact that killing guards recharges the instinct meter (and hence incentivises killing guards) to illustrate his point - that the developers did not get what made previous Hitman games great. The fact there is another system to work against this (aside from hinting at confused design ideas) does not negate either his example or argument.

2. The art is as good as the previous games, if you forget about the bloom.
    Why should we forget about the bloom? If the bloom makes the game look bad it should be mentioned in the review.

3. The checkpoints being a bit rubbish shouldn't matter as you should play it on a higher difficulty.
    Actually this sort of information seems completely relevant to a review. The fact that you can't save, like previous Hitman games, seems like valuable advice to potential buyers.

4. The controls work fine on the Xbox, but Tom is down on them not being optimised for PC and it not working well on PC.
    Again this would seem like the sort of thing a review for PC Gamer should mention. PC gamers get regularly shafted by bad console ports and we get super sensitive about this issue.

5. The story is better than previous Hitman games.
    This is highly subjective, you should probably allow for other people to appreciate a story how they see fit and agree to differ. That said, Tom's point was that the game forced the story upon you and that it got in the way of the game. If the story does get in the way of the game then he is entitled to mention this in the review, regardless of the quality of that story.

6. The AI is bad in this game, but it was bad in previous Hitman games too.
    It is also relevant to the review. The fact that it has been bad in the previous games is not a cogent argument for omitting this detail. Besides you could hope that in the intervening years between games the AI might improve.

7. The fact that guns do not carry over is not relevant to the review.
    A significant change to a mechanic of a game from previous versions seems relevant to the review, as does the reviewer's opinion of that change.

8. Not all the objectives are "open this door".
    But some are. Again Tom was using this to illustrate a point, that the game levels are more linear than you would expect for a Hitman game. Your observation stands alongside his, but does not detract from his argument.

9. The levels are smaller. But they are linked together, so it seems like they are bigger.
    Please refer to the argument to point 7. On a personal note, I would like to add that I rarely find smaller linked levels as much fun as a great big one that I can mess with.

Finally there has been mention that Tom was reviewing the franchise, not the game. That wasn't my opinion on reading the review. He makes reference to previous Hitman games, which is expected as it is the point of reference that most people who are fans of the series will have. It would be like reviewing "The Godfather part 3" and not mentioning how it compared with the previous movies.
      #100   Report Post  
    Old 11-18-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitzadoggy View Post
    1. The game has a scoring system that acts as a disincentive to killing guards.
    Tom mentioned the fact that killing guards recharges the instinct meter (and hence incentivises killing guards) to illustrate his point - that the developers did not get what made previous Hitman games great. The fact there is another system to work against this (aside from hinting at confused design ideas) does not negate either his example or argument.
    If you play on the purist level, as I expect most people who have previously loved the hitman games will, (like myself) there is no such thing as instinct, so, with the negative scoring system for killing guards it is fairly obvious the game doesn't want you to kill guards. This would lead you to believe that Tom has only played the game on the lower difficulties would it not? As he doesn't mention any of the higher difficulty gameplay changes throughout the review.

The inclusion of the normal difficulty is an addition that has obviously been included to attract new crowds, or to ease in the people who have never played hitman games before. For example if when blood money came out someone was 10 years old, they would now be 16, which makes it very possible that Hitman Absolution is their first hitman game.

As I've said before, and will say again, I have no problem with Tom expressing his opinion, but I do have a problem with a badly written review which is just that, an expression of opinion, and leaves out the facts of the game, and when one fact is actually included it is 100% wrong.