Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > ArmA 2

#1   Report Post  
    Old 06-30-2012, 05:54 PM

Default The problem with Dayz

There is no penalty for being a bandit so everyone just kills each other on site. That is fine and all but even if you want to be friendly, you cannot because you cannot take the chance. They need to have a system where the game will only get harder for you if you keep murdering players. That way people will think twice before killing.
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 06-30-2012, 07:00 PM

Someone has had their beans stolen....
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 07-01-2012, 11:33 PM

I dunno it isn't about that, it's fun to kill people but it needs to be balanced as right now the only choice is to kill because you cannot risk not killing them.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 07-02-2012, 12:37 AM

I think it's all about luck. The issue is that people don't want to take the risk. One bad experience, and they kill people. And quite frankly, I think he (Rocket) should bring back a better means to differentiate between players who kill others and those who don't other than a heartbeat via crosshairs over someone. While someone might find it fun to run around killing people, for others it just wrecks their day. For me it's all about friends to play with.

I play with friends for safety in numbers, but we still act like a bunch of cowards in most situations. We try to avoid killing other players unless we are fired upon first(We try to use this as our ROE), as we generally feel we've worked for our gear, and imagine others feel the same way. Other than the odd exception, we're generally fairly gentle on other players. But then again, we get the hell off the coast first thing as well, and tend to try to provide for ourselves well enough in the wilderness. Typical Canadian approach, hiding.

First priority would be get some folks to play with. Makes all the difference for me.

Final thought in this post: Radios. Once radios come in, bringing in some form of area/region/global chat again, I think banditry will go down. Simply knowing that bandits are in such-and-such an area, and you were killed by so and so, and being able to tell others, will help things immensely. Right now there is no real accountability. Banditry doesn't really pack a negative punch at the moment, but when it becomes a more social game again, I think it will go down. What really needs to be attached is extremely negative social consequences, no mechanical ones. But the basis of social interaction is some form of communication, and due to the vast distances involved in the game and removal of all but direct chat for communication, communication is almost a non-existent thing.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 07-02-2012, 04:30 PM

The other thing is you don't have to worry about zombies in this game because if they chase you from hearing gun fire then you hit abort and come back in and the zombies are gone.
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 07-03-2012, 06:59 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scaramoosh View Post
    The other thing is you don't have to worry about zombies in this game because if they chase you from hearing gun fire then you hit abort and come back in and the zombies are gone.
    From what I've read, there will be bans/punishment in the future for doing so as it will be considered an exploit. Not to say I've never done so in the heat of the moment, but as a heads up... be careful with it, and watch patch notes/news. I fully expect it to be tracked and be the cause of some character "refreshes" and bans in the future.
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 07-03-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karazak View Post
    From what I've read, there will be bans/punishment in the future for doing so as it will be considered an exploit. Not to say I've never done so in the heat of the moment, but as a heads up... be careful with it, and watch patch notes/news. I fully expect it to be tracked and be the cause of some character "refreshes" and bans in the future.
    and nothing of value will be lost.