Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Tech

#1   Report Post  
    Old 06-28-2012, 10:46 AM
    Banned

Default New Cisco firmware locks you out until you grant Cisco rights to data mine.

[ [URL="http://i.imgur.com/FnnWb.jpg"]Picture in question[/URL] ]

Quote:
    Note that in the picture, the 192.168.1.1 unroutable (internal) network address used for accessing the admin panel for my router won't let me log in without signing up for a Cisco Connect Cloud account. I just finished talking to tech support, who confirmed there is no way around this.
    The terms of service for a Connect Cloud account grant Cisco full rights to all of your network traffic, and the rights to pass that traffic to anyone.
    The new EA3500 and EA4500 models are known to be affected by this, and will automatically install this update as soon as they go online.
    Service Desk chat snippet:
    from ProjectKS to All Participants:Is there seriously no way I can log in manually like I did two hours ago?
    from ProjectKS to All Participants:I mean without having to have a freaking technician do it?
    from Ma. Liza R. (29794) to All Participants:No, any technician will not be able to revert back the old firmware, that's why we are processing a call back, and someone from case management will do it for you.
    from ProjectKS to All Participants:How can they even do it for me? It's a private network. Cisco shouldn't even be able to access my device
    from Ma. Liza R. (29794) to All Participants: I don't know how they will do it, but they will do it from their end.
    from Ma. Liza R. (29794) to All Participants:Any questions for now?
    Quote:
    From Threnx:
    [url]http://www.cisco.com/web/siteassets/legal/connect_cloud_supp.html[/url]
    When you use the Service, we may keep track of certain information related to your use of the Service, including but not limited to the status and health of your network and networked products; which apps relating to the Service you are using; which features you are using within the Service infrastructure; network traffic (eg., megabytes per hour); Internet history; how frequently you encounter errors on the Service system and other related information ("Other Information").
    We use this Other Information to help us quickly and efficiently respond to inquiries and requests, and to enhance or administer our overall Service for our customers. We may also use this Other Information for traffic analysis (for example, determining when the most customers are using the Service) and to determine which features within the Service are most or least effective or useful to you. In addition, we may periodically transmit system information to our servers in order to optimize your overall experience with the Service. We may share aggregated and anonymous user experience information with service providers, contractors or other third parties to assist us with improving the Service and user experience, but any shared information will be consistent with Cisco's overall Privacy Statement and will not identify you personally in any way.
    [URL="http://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/vqe0q/new_cisco_firmware_locks_you_out_until_you_grant/"]ORIGINAL SOURCE: Reddit[/URL]

Obviously, we can't just keep this quiet. This is ridiculous. Why the [censored] do they need to sniff our internet usage and even your own network traffic?
    "Don't wanna share everything you're doing? Can't forward ports or set up your router"

Last edited by Lunatitch; 06-28-2012 at 10:55 AM.
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 06-28-2012, 02:09 PM

Wink Cisco router solution

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lunatitch View Post
    [ [URL="http://i.imgur.com/FnnWb.jpg"]Picture in question[/URL] ]

[URL="http://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/vqe0q/new_cisco_firmware_locks_you_out_until_you_grant/"]ORIGINAL SOURCE: Reddit[/URL]

Obviously, we can't just keep this quiet. This is ridiculous. Why the [censored] do they need to sniff our internet usage and even your own network traffic?
    "Don't wanna share everything you're doing? Can't forward ports or set up your router"
    Should you be interested then you can simply load up the earlier firmware, uncheck automatic updates and your problem is solved. The old firmware is available here:-

[url]http://www.mediafire.com/?oahard1f1fxc93o[/url]
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 06-28-2012, 02:29 PM

while going back is an option, the fact is it is still wrong and will scrow over new users as once the hardware passes a certain point the newer ones won't support the older options.

so really this post is valid, saying downgrade the firmware isn't as you are not dealing with the problem, it's like sticking tape over the hole in your boat if your sinking, it might work in the short term but some point in the future that bit tape will come off and your going down.

it's better to complain and try to get it removed, rather than ignore it then have to live with it later.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 06-28-2012, 02:43 PM

And this is why everyone should use an open source firmware such as tomato and dd-wrt.
    ASUS Rampage IV Formula || G.SKILL 32GB Ripjaws X || NZXT Hale90 1000w
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM 2TB || 2x128GB Plextor M3
    2x 27" Yamakasi Catleap + Dell Ultrasharp
    Zowie AM || Too many keyboards. (Using reds atm) || ARTISAN VE White
    Steam Profile
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 06-29-2012, 05:42 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tr4656 View Post
    And this is why everyone should use an open source firmware such as tomato and dd-wrt.
    Was gonna say why not just flash it with DD-WRT.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    I think the real reason we're a dying breed is because we have trouble breeding.
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 06-29-2012, 08:12 AM
    Banned

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chevalier View Post
    Should you be interested then you can simply load up the earlier firmware, uncheck automatic updates and your problem is solved. The old firmware is available here:-

[url]http://www.mediafire.com/?oahard1f1fxc93o[/url]
    Actually, you can't - if you read the whole post, you'd know that :-)
    You can't upload the old firmware without actually ringing Cisco as you can't access the router at all, without accepting their ridiculous data mining policy.

In the case described above, the router updated itself nearly straight away after being plugged in (though I suppose now you can just make sure not to connect it to the internet on first boot, but that didn't help this guy - or the many who won't know about this).
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 06-29-2012, 08:17 AM

Well I guess the only solution is to buy DrayTek instead...

Tags

1984, cisco, gone mad