Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Games

#11   Report Post  
    Old 06-26-2012, 07:25 AM

Hey everyone, me again. Just wanted to add a little update here, we now have a City of Steam gameplay trailer (for alpha) up on YouTube! Just click [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRR6ENSr780&list=UUyjRmmmX4KOQ9SJPkWFc53w& index=1&feature=plcp"]HERE[/URL] to watch!

Enjoy, and as always, comments/questions are welcome!

Last edited by CoS_Gab; 06-26-2012 at 07:34 AM.
      #12   Report Post  
    Old 06-26-2012, 07:58 AM

I absolutely adore the clockwork world you've created. It is more than a little reminiscent of the Discworld, but let's face it, what flat-world design isn't? I love the linked counter-rotating wheel design.

Out of interest, how do people move from one wheel to another? Even roughly approximating the size of the wheels, they'd be moving in opposite directions at a massive speed. It's not like you can just hop between them and roll when you hit the ground.

#13   Report Post  
    Old 06-26-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cirius View Post
    I absolutely adore the clockwork world you've created. It is more than a little reminiscent of the Discworld, but let's face it, what flat-world design isn't? I love the linked counter-rotating wheel design.

Out of interest, how do people move from one wheel to another? Even roughly approximating the size of the wheels, they'd be moving in opposite directions at a massive speed. It's not like you can just hop between them and roll when you hit the ground.
    Great question

To be fair, that rotation is actually sped up to show what it would look like (much like they do with the Earth's rotation... would be boring to wait 24 hours to see just 1 cycle). So in game-world terms, this rotation wouldn't be so fast or even that visible.

To move between plates, people at the right "tooth" of a plate touching another could move between them. This is how (in part) seasons work, so a single complete rotation is more of a yearly thing. (I imagine people would fly off the world if it actually went as fast as the animation suggests )
      #14   Report Post  
    Old 06-26-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CoS_Gab View Post
    Great question

To be fair, that rotation is actually sped up to show what it would look like (much like they do with the Earth's rotation... would be boring to wait 24 hours to see just 1 cycle). So in game-world terms, this rotation wouldn't be so fast or even that visible.

To move between plates, people at the right "tooth" of a plate touching another could move between them. This is how (in part) seasons work, so a single complete rotation is more of a yearly thing. (I imagine people would fly off the world if it actually went as fast as the animation suggests )
    And that's what comes from me writing early in the morning...I probably should have figured that one out myself. although I can't help but feel having people flying off a rapidly spinning planet would make for an unusual game mechanic.

#15   Report Post  
    Old 06-26-2012, 09:22 AM

Reminded me of Discworld to. That can only be a good thing
    “There has seldom if ever been a shortage of eager young males prepared to kill and die to preserve the security, comfort and prejudices of their elders, and what you call heroism is just an expression of this simple fact; there is never a scarcity of idiots.” - Ian Banks
      #16   Report Post  
    Old 06-26-2012, 09:38 AM

Not really a fan of browser based games but it looks really nice. Seems to be standard MMO hotbar combat unless I'm mistaken. But I do like Steampunk and it could be a winner (though I would prefer if the melee character looked more Steampunk and attacked with some form of tools)
      #17   Report Post  
    Old 06-26-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marleigh View Post
    Not really a fan of browser based games but it looks really nice. Seems to be standard MMO hotbar combat unless I'm mistaken. But I do like Steampunk and it could be a winner (though I would prefer if the melee character looked more Steampunk and attacked with some form of tools)
    It's hard to see in this particular trailer, but a lot of the equipment and weapons have gears and other mechanisms worked into them, in that good ol' industrial fantasy style we love.

Also, considering this is still only alpha, we're only seeing the basics of what is planned for full release, so you can expect a lot of even cooler stuff to show up by then!
      #18   Report Post  
    Old 06-26-2012, 04:22 PM

Wow, this looks soo aweesome!. The world looks interesting and the conflict posibilities are countless. Feed us moar artwork!.
    Geforce GTX485M @ 2GB
    12GB RAM @ 1600Mhz
    250GB SSD
      #19   Report Post  
    Old 06-27-2012, 05:42 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ralph_d View Post
    Wow, this looks soo aweesome!. The world looks interesting and the conflict posibilities are countless. Feed us moar artwork!.
    Hmm, artwork eh? Well, here's one of my favorites:

You can find more here: [url]http://www.cityofsteam.com/media/wallpapers[/url]
      #20   Report Post  
    Old 06-27-2012, 09:57 AM
    Banned

Hmm, looks intriguing. Love the concept and the attention to detail shown in the history, races and the world itself. Looks like an MMO version of Arcanum, no bad thing.

Tags

mmorpg, steampunk, unity3d