So I'm going to do a quick guide on how to create safe spots, and instant undocks. They are very useful while at war.
The Safe Spot.
This is a point in space that others can't easily find.*
The instant undock.
- Open your "People and Places" window. Click on the Places tab.
- Warp to a random object (something far away) and warp to it
- While in the middle of your warp hit the "add bookmark" button. Rename it quickly (lets say; safe 1).
- Once you exit warp you can then warp to your new bookmark by right clicking in space and warping to your new bookmark.
- Enjoy your view from the openness of space.
This is a way to avoid camp on stations, this will let you immediately warp from a station the instant you undock.
Tips, Tricks, Warnings and other Bookmarks.
- Fit a fast ship with a Microwarp drive module (or an afterburner if you don't have one)
- Undock from the station you wish to create an instant undock from.
- activate your microwarp drive module - Don't do anything else.
- Now wait for your ship to fly away from the station.
- Grab a coffee.
- Once you are over 200km (approx) from the station stop your ship.
- Open your people and places window, go to the places tab, and click Add bookmark.
- Name your bookmark however you like - make sure to include that it is an instant undock, and which station it is.
- Test out your bookmark!
Another great use of bookmarks is so that you can check a gate before you warp to it (and in 0.0 avoid bubbles on gates). To do this all you need to do is create a bookmark which is more then 150km from the gate. I suggest over 200km always. You want to be at least 150km so that you can warp to the gate if you need to. With these kinda of bookmarks good naming is vital. If your bookmark is 230km from the Nonni gate then is should be labeled as "Nonni Gate (230km)" or similar. You can also make these bookmarks for stations too.
*When you are in a safespot you are not entirely safe.
You can be probed out by exploration ships (and very quickly too if the pilot is good). To avoid this you need to keep moving between safespots, and creating more on the fly. If you know that people are trying to probe you out - don't warp to the same safespot twice
- probers will often wait for you to return to a similar spot, and then get a hit. In this case safespots are disposable.
To find out if someone is trying to probe you out open your DSCAN (ship board scanner) and scan for combat probes - if you see them on scan it's time to GTFO lol. (Make sure your DSCAN is set to 360 degrees, and the maximum range, and is set to show probes!)
How your DCAN should look
If you have a cloaking device (any kind) once you are in your safe spot, you can activate it. This makes your ship invisible to scans and probes. This is often why ships that might need to hide often (haulers etc.) will fit a cloak.
Last but not least you can if all else fails, log out - but your ship will remain in system for 15mins after the last time you engaged in combat, even if you log out.
Hope all this helps! Now get creating those bookmarks for our home systems, you never know when war will come.