Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Magazine and site talk

#1   Report Post  
    Old 04-16-2012, 08:55 AM

Default Why was Microsoft Flight given an 82 rating?

I finally leafed through the latest PC gamer and happened upon Andy Mahood's review. While the tone of his writing is pretty negative the score he awarded (82) indicates what used to be considered an "excellent" rating.

Have the magazine's rating standards changed over the years in a way I haven't noticed? Are metacritic scores a consideration when rating a particluar game?

Last edited by Saluki; 04-16-2012 at 09:30 AM.
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 04-16-2012, 02:45 PM
    Grand Inquisitor

Send a message via Skype™ to SAeN

Yet another reason to get rid of scores. If the text of the review and the score seem a mismatch, the whole thing is fucking pointless.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 04-16-2012, 07:02 PM

Teh advertising $$$ taking over, maybe?
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 04-16-2012, 07:47 PM
    Grand Inquisitor

Send a message via Skype™ to SAeN

Don't be silly.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 04-16-2012, 08:20 PM

We must all convert to the way of rock paper shotgun and bow down to the scoreless reviews.
    “There has seldom if ever been a shortage of eager young males prepared to kill and die to preserve the security, comfort and prejudices of their elders, and what you call heroism is just an expression of this simple fact; there is never a scarcity of idiots.” - Ian Banks
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 04-17-2012, 03:58 AM

I was just curious.

There are reviews I agree with, and reviews I don't, but normaly the score of the review matches the actual content.

I wouldn't even begrudge PC Gamer not wanting to annoy the biggest corporation in the PC field. Is this maybe a way to even things out - point out things in the game that weren't up to snuff and give readers a fair warning, but still give Microsoft Flight a score that doesn't mess too much with the metacritic rating?
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 04-19-2012, 03:51 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SAeN View Post
    Yet another reason to get rid of scores. If the text of the review and the score seem a mismatch, the whole thing is fucking pointless.
    yes i'd be happy to just do away with this too. too many people put way too much stock into these "scores" and metacritic needs to go away also. can you believe developers actually get bonuses for having a high metacritic score. ridiculous.

Looking 4 Indie bundles? http://steamcommunity.com/groups/IndieBundleTracker
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 04-20-2012, 10:40 PM

TBH i found flight a very good game, very solid flight sim. Yes there is no AI aircraft, Yest there is no ATC, yes there is no jumbo jet, Yes its only hawaii and yes its got really expensive DLC, but then again you cant comparte it to its predecesor and say "well because the other game had it, made by a completely different company on a different engine made by a much bigger team with years of experience aimed at a hardcore sim market" that it makes it worse.

IMO (yes opinion) flight is brilliant. its really really optimised, hell even on my laptop which is a dell with no graphics card, on lowest settings it still looks beter than FSX on my beastly computer (PCG issue 237 page 88 for its specs (sorry, had to tell someone) (and if that dosent show my dedication to flight sims, i dont know what will).
    yes, its an extreamly cut donw game, yes even i rage at it sometimes during challenges, or the fact that the P-51 has no cockpit, or that even me, someone who has landed a real plane, with just me in the plane, cannot even land tha maul due to no doccumentation or tutoirals whatsoever, BUT it still is a very very nice "arcade" game.

its about the joy of flying, the joy of a nice, controllable aircraft flying over a beautifuly detail landscape, about just wanting to look around. if you want to do that, you can, but if you want to crank up a a massive side wind, turn the hud off, and hardcore mode, you can.

so in conclusion, i think that the 83 may be a tad too high, but it dosent deserve anyhting less than a 70-75, as its such a great game that hits it right on the head, just knackerd by the fact that the marketing guys and devs completely forgot that the only people that will play a flight sim game is, erm, a flight sim entusiast. and lets put it this way, how many of you have gone out and brought custom terrain packs for FSX, or high detail aircraft. that is probarbly that they are tapping into, instead of other companies making high quality "DLC" why dont they make it, and reap the reward (yes, yes, all money going to evil microsoft).

also, i hope no-one worries about this sudden influx of bumb DLC. i bet it was all planned from the beginning, and hell, hopefully they will do a "when we hit our £XXXXXX target we will make future DLC free"