Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Games

#31   Report Post  
    Old 02-17-2012, 10:34 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by valkynaz View Post
    I think I'm right in saying this ...

Legally, you don't own any software you purchase, your buying a license to use said software. A business/developer/publisher and so forth can retract that license at any time they want for any reason. People only really care that digital distribution platforms can do this as they can enforce the removal of a license from the customer with ease. Whereas if a customer has a physical copy, it would be relatively impossible to take away their copy of software to stop them from using it.
    even most physical copies of games can be locked down with how online dependant gaming is becoming.
      #32   Report Post  
    Old 02-18-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Belimawr View Post
    even most physical copies of games can be locked down with how online dependant gaming is becoming.
    the more they tighten their grip, the more games will slip through their fingers.

a copy of L4D2 to whoever gets the movie reference*
    *[SIZE="1"]not a guarantee[/SIZE]
      #33   Report Post  
    Old 02-18-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RLR149 View Post
    the more they tighten their grip, the more games will slip through their fingers.

a copy of L4D2 to whoever gets the movie reference*
    *[SIZE="1"]not a guarantee[/SIZE]
    Star Wars, should be "Systems".
      #34   Report Post  
    Old 02-18-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kuyhoinu View Post
    Mate, there is no justification for taking a shot at me again, if you had a problem you should have pm'd me. I could have taken down my post. But now fuck it, I'll just have a dig like you did.

Clear 12 years old if it stood on a high chair? I wasn't aware intelligence was measured in height... good attempt at wit.

I moderate a tech chat room and I suppose my language might not be acceptable here. I apologise to anyone who was offended. It just pisses me off when people can never do things for themself and blame their problems on someone else.

Would love to see someone like yourself in person though, calling me kid. Your very tough and witty behind that computer mate. Judging by your first comment " LOL WTF" I'm just going to assume your not of legal age so I won't go any further. You don't sound like a serious gamer nor a person I'd like to get to know. Goodbye sir.
    You seem like a ridiculously annoying and angry man.
      #35   Report Post  
    Old 02-19-2012, 01:20 PM

Well, you could always play the singleplayer?

On the other side, this is a classic case of "I think I'll get this solved if I am a butt hole to the rep". This usually doesn't work, I'd suggest using this as a valuable lesson for the next time you have to contact (any) customer support.
      #36   Report Post  
    Old 02-19-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by valkynaz View Post
    There are many factors, some of them being factors out of their control e.g. different licensing laws in different countries.

An example of this would be Doom 1 & 2, which up until 5 months ago, were banned for sale in Germany, 17 years after release in other countries.
    Very good points, well made. I have a lot to say about this issue (region-locking), because I've lived in Poland for the last ten years, and being able to buy anything online in this supposedly digital, shop-free age is a complete game of chance.

The explanation I'd like to contribute has to do with the kind of deal that the publisher makes with different territories for distribution of their boxed copies. For example, Skyrim - CDProjeckt got the rights to distribute it and did a full Polski voice and text localisation for the game. As such, Zenimax (or Beth or whoever) said 'Okay CDP, it's all yours. No one else can buy it anywhere now!' That means no official sources for online purchase & download - no digital copies, in other words.

The only way around this is to buy a serial key from one of the grey sites and plug it into Steam that way. I've done this successfully a number of times with Steam, though I haven't tried it with Skyrim yet.

Some of the online digital retailers are clever too; Steam and GameFly for example, can detect when I'm using a proxy and won't let me fake my way into buying a region-locked game. It's a pain, but what can you do? Wait for the EU to legislate against it I guess. Ha!
      #37   Report Post  
    Old 02-19-2012, 09:25 PM
    Banned

I've been away all weekend but: enough with the personal attacks in the thread now please, any more and I will start handing out bans - that's my final word on the matter. From here on out I only want to see discussion on the topic at hand.

Tags

help me, horrible costumer service, left 4 dead 2, region locked, steam