Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Magazine and site talk

#1   Report Post  
    Old 01-26-2012, 05:11 PM

Default Top 100 List (US Edition)

Hmm in my issue Deus Ex was #28....in the last two top 100 lists it was #1. What has changed that much since those lists about a year ago??
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 01-26-2012, 08:41 PM

And Baldur's Gate II wasn't even mentioned...
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 01-27-2012, 06:23 AM

My biggest gripe is that Portal is number one. I loved Portal when it came out, but in what world does that make it better then most of these games? Also "for my brother's sake" Where is Morrowind or daggerfall?

Needless to say GOG is not being supported well in this top 100.

Last edited by The_B; 01-28-2012 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Used this post to make a US Top100 thread
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 01-28-2012, 02:49 PM

Default Top 100 List

How do games that you guy review as merely "good" end up in the best games of all time? Like Batman: Arkham City... You just recently gave it an 80% review, which I agreed with completely... fun game, but 32nd best game of ALL TIME? seriously?

Its a given that everyone isn't going to agree with your choices, and that's really what makes them fun, but how do you justify putting a game on the best of all time list, when you just reviewed it as just over the mediocre mark a few months back?
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 01-28-2012, 07:48 PM

Exclamation 2

I agree with almost everything in this list...except.

1) #1 is Portal. What the hell. Portal is essentially a demo for Portal 2. Portal has hardly any depth. What it does have is is a genius idea, great execution...it is a great puzzle game, but that's about it. I could see it being, #13 or something, but you are telling me that it is better than all those other games?
    2) Guild Wars? Guild Wars didn't make the top 100? Are you serious? I know there are 10000 MMORPG out there but it's not in the top 10? #6 is WoW. #15 is Diablo II. #42 is Star Wars: The Old Republic. #54 is DC Universe Online. But Guild Wars doesn't make the list.
    /rant

(Don't tell me everyone has their own opinion. Obviously I'm proving that point here and now. I have a right to express my opposition to another's opinion just as you will have a right to express your opposition to my hereposted opposition. Thanks)
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 02-01-2012, 01:37 PM

Cool Thanks for Another Hilarious Top 100 List

Thanks, PC Gamer, for another hilarious Top 100 list. As usual, it was all over the place. Deus Ex dropped 20 or so spots, WoW jumped about 10 spots (good thing!), Portal came out of nowhere, Alpha Centauri (the highest reviewed game by you folks for YEARS) disappeared completely.

My biggest beef is Skyrim. Number 2? Really?! I bought it based on your recommendation and, don't get me wrong, it's a solid game but number 2 of all-time? No way. After about 12 hours of play, I've found the movement system quirky, the combat system wonky and the game is insanely slow (I just hit level 9 after picking 7000 pockets and making 47 iron gauntlets, which, strangely, seems to advance experience points more than adventuring).

Worst though, the load screens are utterly ridiculous! Admittedly, I don't have an $8,000 system with 2 video cards that your magazine reviews every issue but it runs WoW just fine (and Skyrim too, for that matter). The load screens take 1-2 MINUTES. It's crazy. And load screens happen constantly. Go into the inn---load screen; come out the inn---load screen; spend 5 seconds walking and go into Warmaiden's to buy some more gear---load screen. Battles are odd too. The same battle can give you a one-hit win or a one-hit loss, seemingly at random. I find myself saving the game after almost every kill so I don't have to redo a lot of progress (luckily, the saving is surprisingly quick).

On the up side, once you get used to the quirky movement and combat, it is a fun experience though. When I was skulking around the tombs of Bleak Falls Barrow, I actually got goosebumps as I wondered when I'd get jump by the next zombies. So don't get me wrong. It's a great game. Number 2 of all-time a month after release...? Doubtful.

Lastly, and this one's out of left field, where's the love for the Warlords series? I loved those games.

Cheers,
    Captain Attitude
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 02-01-2012, 06:51 PM

Baldur's Gate II, Myst, Everquest, and Alpha Centauri all should have made the cut.
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 02-02-2012, 09:10 PM

Default You can't be serious..

"The World's Authority On PC Gaming? HA!

Now I can usually take these top 100 lists with a grain of salt. But this has to be the worst ever.

Perhaps you can explain how Quake, Civ IV, Diablo II Oblivion, WOW, TF2 and others magically moved ahead of Deus Ex on the list.

Did I miss something last year? Have these games improved while Deus Ex got worse?

Now I could go on about a number of games missing from this list, but I will mention only one.

DOOM.

Did you hear that? DOOM!

Perhaps all you editors were in diapers back in the day when Doom changed the face of PC gaming.

You couldn't spit without hitting a shareware copy of Knee Deep In The Dead. You could get them at 7/11 for christsakes. Half the games on your list wouldn't exist if it weren't for Doom.

It may not have aged as gracefully as some but when someone mentions the word DOOM everyone knows they aren't talking about the Fantastic 4.

You should be ashamed.
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 02-02-2012, 11:29 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gallowglas View Post
    Baldur's Gate II, Myst, Everquest, and Alpha Centauri all should have made the cut.
    I agree aswell