Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Tech

#11   Report Post  
    Old 01-09-2012, 10:34 PM

you can get good headsets, just the ones with good sound and mics aint cheap.

as for sound cards they do make a hell of a difference.

also if you can find them for a low enough price I would try to find something from speedlink medusa line of headsets, I have a really old speedlink medusa 5.1 headset it's still going strong, it had separate speaker for each channel meaning the bass on it was actually unbearable at full (but then it was designed to act as force feedback as well for some reason) but the problem is they weren't cheap and you will probably struggle to find the new version for under £50. (the ones I have are long discontinued)
      #12   Report Post  
    Old 01-10-2012, 12:10 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Belimawr View Post
    you can get good headsets, just the ones with good sound and mics aint cheap.

as for sound cards they do make a hell of a difference.

also if you can find them for a low enough price I would try to find something from speedlink medusa line of headsets, I have a really old speedlink medusa 5.1 headset it's still going strong, it had separate speaker for each channel meaning the bass on it was actually unbearable at full (but then it was designed to act as force feedback as well for some reason) but the problem is they weren't cheap and you will probably struggle to find the new version for under £50. (the ones I have are long discontinued)
    Let me clear something up here.
    You can get good headsets, just not a very good price compared to headphones.

Let me give some examples of headphones I do think sound good. I guess you can sort of call this a semi-recommendation and I'll explain why.

The Sennheiser PC350 and the PC360. Both are great sounding headsets but the problem is the price. The PC350 is probably a HD515 and the PC360 is probably a HD518 (after listening to them). In this case, you are effectively paying 60$ for the microphone on the headphone, which to me, is a stupid thing to get. At the price of the PC360, you could have gotten Ultrasone Pro 550, Audio-Technica AD700(or A700 depending on preference), or Shure SRH-840 which are superior headphones. If you wanted to stick with Sennheiser, you could have gotten a HD555 which are all superior headphones. In the case of the PC360, you are looking at Beyerdynamic DT770, DT880, DT990 (it depends on price) or Audio-Techinica AD900. If you have heard these, it would be very very difficult justifying a PC360 over these.

The best example I can give is the Beyerdynamic MMX300. Essentially, these are Beyerdynamic DT770 32 Ohms with a mic selling for 100$+ the price of the Beyerdynamic DT770 alone. Undoubtedly, these are wonderful headsets indeed, but I feel hard to support paying 100$ for basically, a low quality mic.

@OP

In your case, why don't you get this [URL="http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003JOETX8"]headphone[/URL] (£31.99) + this [URL="http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00029MTMQ"]mic[/URL] (£4.91). The mic's bad rating seems to be weird. In the US, these are more popular and have a much better rating. [URL="http://amzn.com/B00029MTMQ"]US Link here[/URL]
    ASUS Rampage IV Formula || G.SKILL 32GB Ripjaws X || NZXT Hale90 1000w
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM 2TB || 2x128GB Plextor M3
    2x 27" Yamakasi Catleap + Dell Ultrasharp
    Zowie AM || Too many keyboards. (Using reds atm) || ARTISAN VE White
    Steam Profile

Last edited by Tr4656; 01-10-2012 at 02:06 PM.
      #13   Report Post  
    Old 01-10-2012, 01:28 PM

These don't sound amazing or anything, but probably better than anything at the price. They give you USB connectivity and mic.
    [url]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826105209[/url]

I have a number of studio headphones (cans) that range from $75 to $99. My favorite are the Senheisers mentioned in a post above. They are great for recording and listening to music, but honestly in games they only sound slightly better than the cheap microsoft headset. As a disclaimer, while I have an ear for music, I've never been much of an audiophile when it comes to games and movies. I think the only reason to have nice headphones for gaming is if you ARE the audiophile type, in which case I wouldn't imagine making this thread... so by that logic I highly recommend the $24 headset in my first paragraph.
      #14   Report Post  
    Old 01-10-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sparkasaurusmex View Post
    These don't sound amazing or anything, but probably better than anything at the price. They give you USB connectivity and mic.
    [url]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826105209[/url]

I have a number of studio headphones (cans) that range from $75 to $99. My favorite are the Senheisers mentioned in a post above. They are great for recording and listening to music, but honestly in games they only sound slightly better than the cheap microsoft headset. As a disclaimer, while I have an ear for music, I've never been much of an audiophile when it comes to games and movies. I think the only reason to have nice headphones for gaming is if you ARE the audiophile type, in which case I wouldn't imagine making this thread... so by that logic I highly recommend the $24 headset in my first paragraph.
    You have a soundcard? Those Senns should sound a lot better.
    ASUS Rampage IV Formula || G.SKILL 32GB Ripjaws X || NZXT Hale90 1000w
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM 2TB || 2x128GB Plextor M3
    2x 27" Yamakasi Catleap + Dell Ultrasharp
    Zowie AM || Too many keyboards. (Using reds atm) || ARTISAN VE White
    Steam Profile

Last edited by Tr4656; 01-10-2012 at 01:56 PM.
      #15   Report Post  
    Old 01-10-2012, 02:14 PM

I do, though I usually use speakers with the sound card. (also the only headphone plug in my PC is directly on the sound card, which is in the back and more of a hassle to get to than my USB ports). The cheap headset I use strictly for VOIP games. Obviously there's a difference, but to my taste it is negligible. An audiophile can certainly hear more difference between the two, but unless I'm really trying to listen to music I've never cared to use the Senns in my computer. I'm not trying to say they aren't worth it, but a lot of gamers just aren't into sound enough to spend more than $24 on a decent headset that lets them VOIP. I never would have purchased any of the cans I have for gaming, honestly the thought never occurred. I think good sound is less "obvious" than good graphics in gaming. Of course to the right gamer extremely good sound can make a huge difference, but many of us just want decent sound. It's the sort of thing that you can get away with until it's spoiled for you. Play games on that $24 headset and it's just fine. Start listening to them through your expensive cans and suddenly you've ruined the cheap headset!

I can't argue against >$50 headphones sounding much better, but for many gamers a $24 chat headset might be ample. The one I linked to above actually sounds really good for the price, as many comparably priced headsets might sound like utter crap.

I do have to agree with everyone saying a sound card is much better than onboard sound. But I can't claim that taking sound processing from the CPU actually helps performance in any noticeable way. It just sounds better. I don't know maybe you can get a slightly higher frame rate if your CPU is really slow, but I think most modern CPUs can handle the sound processing just fine in terms of efficiency, but yes sound quality suffers.

But, all that said, unless someone really wants to save money I guess the best suggestion in this thread is probably what you posted above:
    Quote:
    why don't you get this headphone (£31.99) + this mic (£4.91).
    Edit added: I just listened to some tunes on my MS headset... lol. Okay it is a world of difference. Playing games with these I didn't realize how thick everything sounds. It is obvious to me when I'm listening to music. But yeah, world of difference compared to the Senheisers or even my cheaper Samsung cans.

Last edited by sparkasaurusmex; 01-10-2012 at 02:28 PM.