Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > SW: The Old Republic

#1   Report Post  
    Old 01-08-2012, 09:02 AM

Default Reverse Engineering Disappearance

Just a tip for those who have the same problem of their reverse-engineering button going awol. For some reason it happens to me but I can always restore it by visiting a vendor.
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 01-08-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cambrinus View Post
    Just a tip for those who have the same problem of their reverse-engineering button going awol. For some reason it happens to me but I can always restore it by visiting a vendor.
    I haven't seen this bug. But I find a lot of bugs can be sorted by a quick restart of the UI. CTRL+U twice. I know it sorts out the guild window bugs.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 01-08-2012, 05:45 PM

that doesn't work zal, press i to close the inventory then i again to open it again, seems to work for me, but strange considering pressing the button on the UI doesn't do it.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 01-09-2012, 06:40 AM

All very odd, and the vendor trick is the only trick to work for me!

Out of interesting - what DOES reverse engeneering really do? It all seems a bit pointless and there's a real lack of info in game about...well, anything! >.<
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 01-09-2012, 06:54 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by edam View Post
    Out of interesting - what DOES reverse engeneering really do? It all seems a bit pointless and there's a real lack of info in game about...well, anything! >.<
    Basically it's a form of disenchanting, where you disassemble an item in order to get back some of it's base components.

For example, if you have synthweaving as your crafting profession and you reverse engineer a piece of light armour, you would get back some artifacts or cloth or something else that would be used to make it or another similar item. Those components can then be reused to make other pieces of equipment.

In my opinion it's invaluable for trying to level up your crafting profession, since you can make something in order to get a skill up and know that you can then reverse engineer it to get some materials to put towards your next skill.

Steam
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 01-09-2012, 07:08 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by edam View Post
    All very odd, and the vendor trick is the only trick to work for me!

Reverse engineering gives you a chance at an upgraded version of the item you're breaking down. I've taken Atifice so I can make Crystals, Enhancements, Hilts and Force/Shield offhand items. The Hilts, Enhancements and Crystals just seem upgrade to higher versions with greater stat enhancements but the offhand stuff gives you different versions with added effects.

Green - Blue - Purple - You can RE the purples too, to give you different versions
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 01-10-2012, 07:31 AM

yup i gives you new schematics and some of the materials back. the new schematics are an upgraded version of what you already have such as RE a green skill barrel will sometimes give a blue version which will have better stats then you can RE those to get a Purple version. Once you get to a purple you can RE those to try and get Different Effects which change the stats of the item and can make them sell for more $$ on the GTN.