Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > SW: The Old Republic > US Guild - Coconut Monkeys

#1   Report Post  
    Old 12-13-2011, 03:31 AM

Default Never done PvP before. What should I know?

Hi All,

Really excited to be a Coconut Monkey! However, I have only ever done PvE content in MMOs. What should I know about how to survive on a PvP server? Will different stats/gear matter? How do you avoid getting ganked?

I am planning on playing an Op healer, and I assume healing in a PvP situation is very different than in PvE.

Any suggestions/tips you have for this PvP noob is greatly appreciated!

Talgian...
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 12-13-2011, 03:43 AM

Default short peniue

The only difference between the 2 types of server is that you can kill anyone on the opposing faction, that isn't in a neutral area.

Check our guide on the wiki [url]http://coconutmonkeys.wikispaces.com/PVP[/url] (WIP!)

If you happen to be leveling on a planet, and someone ganks you, no problem. Just rez up and continue leveling, or try to attack back.

If the republic ganker keeps harassing you, just whisper your resident PVP Brutalizers IrishKing or I or ask for help in guild chat.

Avoiding getting ganked? I don't think you should worry about it, it only adds to the fun. Only when you start getting camped should you ask guildmates for assistance.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 12-13-2011, 07:57 AM

And with having 500 members in the guild, you could easily group up and slaughter whoever ganks you. Coconut Monkeys will rule the server with an iron fist!
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 12-13-2011, 09:20 AM
    Insane Moderator

You will die.
    You will be ganked.
    You will be spawn killed.
    You will resurrect and die again.
    You will scream in frustration and die again.
    In the end.... you will die.

If you can live with that, welcome to PvP.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 12-13-2011, 10:09 AM

It's not as bad as Olgit makes it sound.

Sometimes you will log out and then you will be safe.
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 12-13-2011, 12:13 PM

Default PvP = Video Crack

Only to log in and die again. . .

BUT, there will also be glorious occasions where you are the one killing. Sometimes you will win. Sometimes you will feel INVINCIBLE! And with that taste of victory comes the addiction.

At first, you'll begin to overlook the occasional death while focused on the next victory . . .

Then, you'll take it personal when someone kills you because, well, YOU are not a newblet loser like them . . .

Finally, the lists start. . .

You'll document those whom you feel have served you injustice so you can not only kill them, but kill thier alts, and kill thier alt's alts, and kill thier alt's alt's pet pomeranian! You will kill them ALL! THEY ALL MUST DIE! WITH FIRE!

Lastly, eventually, the support groups start . . . after they let you out of the padded room where the best thing you got going for you is everywhere is a comfy bed and nobody seems to mind or notice when you soil yourself. . .

...welcome to PvP.
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 12-13-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Talgian View Post
    Hi All,

Really excited to be a Coconut Monkey! However, I have only ever done PvE content in MMOs. What should I know about how to survive on a PvP server? Will different stats/gear matter? How do you avoid getting ganked?

I am planning on playing an Op healer, and I assume healing in a PvP situation is very different than in PvE.

Any suggestions/tips you have for this PvP noob is greatly appreciated!

Talgian...
    Unfortunately, I didn't get enough time with TOR to PvP heal but I have in WoW and it was one of the better experiences I had from that game. Being ganked happens, others have given you the right tools to deal with that. However, doing the healing for a group bent on the destruction of others is VERY engaging and mostly rewarding.

But it also depends on which kind of PvP. Spontaneous World PvP healing is a bit different than an organized arena situation. In both situations it helps to know the other classes' abilities and/or the people who play them. "Knowledge is power!"

You'll have more variation and possible monster kiting in World PvP. You'll obviously want to avoid taking aggro (monster or player) so you'll be free for healing. When I had my druid in WoW, HoT healing was my favorite because you were constantly doing something and it gave you more leeway to throw a big heal in at key moments. As for arena situations, they are much more organized and you can have strategies that can be worked out ahead of time.

One of the biggest things I've noticed about the game, in my short time with the beta, was that range isn't really an issue for most classes. If they are close ranged they have something to get them right up in your face quickly. This will make it an interesting challenge for healers staying out of range of devastating attacks. However, from watching videos on Huttball, it does seem that the ability to survive is pretty high for most classes. Hopefully I'll have more to say in a couple days.
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 12-14-2011, 08:58 AM

The trick is to do EVERY SINGLE SIDE quest that you can. Also, as far as lightside/darkside goes, pick a path and STICK with it. Whenever a commendation opportunity arises, unless the gear offered by the quest is immediately better than yours, take it. Also, don't neglect your companion, they can be invaluable in a fight.

Commendations will definitely earn you some pretty awesome gear, so kill those random mobs by the side of the road, always keep your eyes peeled when you get to your first contested planet, and level level level

"Then thine Scottish Bastard, he said 'KRAKOW!' and thence FRUIT LOOPS were born into the world!"